Sockets sockets sockets

Associate
Ow do folks, are MK still the goto choice for decent sockets and switches or have they gone downhill? Will be needing new sockets for the kitchen and light switches for rest of the house.

Advice on a postcard, looking at the brushed steel stuff.

Associate
OP
Want quality stuff that will last and want to avoid the bad stuff, I've been told to avoid the LAP stuff for instance.

I know what I need...was after advice on quality brands, ideally be somebody who is a sparky and installs this stuff for a living or a DIY'er with high standards.

Cheapest doesn't mean good...you should know this being an IT enthusiast, sometimes it's worth paying the extra for the better stuff.

Soldato
What "bad stuff" have you been told about LAP?

I've recently bought some of their sockets and was quite surprised how good the build quality was.

Associate
OP
What "bad stuff" have you been told about LAP?

I've recently bought some of their sockets and was quite surprised how good the build quality was.

I got told the quality wasn't very good, I guess everyone has their own standards and favourite brands though.

Soldato
I got told the quality wasn't very good, I guess everyone has their own standards and favourite brands though.

You'll hear good and bad for all brands, even at the premium end.

Frankly if you're going brushed steel, and presumably a screwless faceplate, you're not going to have too many options either way.

Soldato
I've used LAP extensively in a few houses and never had a problem with them yet. Quality is decent, finish looks good on the brushed nickel ones I have used and most importantly for fitting the terminals are not crap like some brands.

Soldato
I've used a lot of LAP sockets
they are okay in my opinion nothing wrong with them.

only 1 socket failed for me out of around 50 and they are good value for money.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with LAP, most problems stem from their flat plate sockets requiring a perfect box to fit in because the backplate goes right up to the edge.

MK are good but made in china. As long as you stay away from Polar they are pretty poor and cheap.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I like click deco but they come at a premium.

I've also used plenty of LAP sockets and found them absolutely fine too.

Soldato
Click Deco by Scolmore are my go-to sockets. Well built and large/strong terminals to fit to. I usually buy them from Alert Electrical.

Sockets are definitely not all equal. The cheap rubbish used in my house (new build) are slowly getting replaced as the terminals are tiny/weak and are a pain to work on.

Soldato
I've got varilight and they're fine. I agree with getting them flat though, the bright spark (get it:rolleyes::p) who did my kitchen, put 2 switched, fused spur and a double socket all touching, so now I have to move the backboxes to allow space for the fascia to clip over. Also they're a pain of you wall is anything but flat.

Associate
G&H are nice if you want different finishes. The cheapest Screwfix stuff works fine but I found the terminals quite cheap and nasty and sometimes struggled to get a good purchase on multiple cores, such as earths. Work fine though when this is considered and resolved. Another thing I have noticed on the cheaper sockets is the position of the terminals can make it awkward when you have no slack on the existing cables, as they tend to be quite far apart.

Associate
I do like the MK stuff, it's worth pointing out that the USB sockets require at least a 35mm backbox, which might be a problem if your replacing old ones.

LAP stuff is actually pretty good.

I have had a BG one break (they look very similar to LAP to me) but that could just be bad luck. I bought one of the copper finished BG USB sockets and a double light switch and they are much better than the standard white plastic ones. Both had a rubber gasket between them and the wall so fit really nicely to the wall.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom