New UK Driving licence -- and insurance?

Caporegime
I ordered the forms, read them carefully, and it's pretty explicit that that's what you get.

I have no problems with automatics --I own a 2019 X5!-- but I'm:
1) Not willing to downgrade my licence and stop driving my manual cars.
2) Not be able to drive in BEEPING france after the 31th january while I currently own a lifetime, non expiring licence (for manual!) from there.

If you think that "there must be a way to explain to them that"... I've just done my citizenship tests and exams and so on, I know very well there "isn't a way to to explain" anything to anyone, as most of that stuff is sub-contracted to external companies who have a "script" to run.

Plenty of people from the UK drive in France all the time. Do they all own French driving licenses?

Swap french license for UK. Then drive in France the same way everyone else does.

Man of Honour
Left field question; is there any reason you can't keep your French license and also just pass a UK manual driving test and get that license as well? Then keep both licenses and provide appropriate evidence of driving to insurance companies when required. Why do you have to hand in your old license to take a new UK test?

Soldato
Left field question; is there any reason you can't keep your French license and also just pass a UK manual driving test and get that license as well? Then keep both licenses and provide appropriate evidence of driving to insurance companies when required. Why do you have to hand in your old license to take a new UK test?
That (I think) was his original plan but he was asking if he'd need to tell insurers he had only held a licence for 0 years. My assumption would be yes, unlike an exchanged one.

Back
Top Bottom