• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch Ryzen killer - the Core i9-10990XE (rumour)

Caporegime
Intel rushing to catch up after lagging behind in CPU releases, investment, R&D and product releases in attempt to take advantage of dominant position for over a decade. Is found out by AMD and is now playing catch up for the firs time in fifteen years, plans to release chip they’ve held back for several years in vain attempt to match AMD performance. Chip, known in the industry as ‘wallet killer’ is expected to cost over $1,000 per unit and may only match AMD’s top level 3950X or slightly beat it in some benchmarks. Supply is expected to be short, as is demand if users have any sort of logical head on their shoulders.

FTFY.

Soldato
Intel rushing to catch up after lagging behind in CPU releases, investment, R&D and product releases in attempt to take advantage of dominant position for over a decade. Is found out by AMD and is now playing catch up for the firs time in fifteen years, plans to release chip they’ve held back for several years in vain attempt to match AMD performance. Chip, known in the industry as ‘wallet killer’ is expected to cost over $1,000 per unit and may only match AMD’s top level 3950X or slightly beat it in some benchmarks. Supply is expected to be short, as is demand if users have any sort of logical head on their shoulders.

FTFY.

Lets not forget the most important thing. If this chip is true, comes to the socket 2066, so on the HEDT platform where Intel has already 18 core chip....
Is not for the 1151 or 1200 (Z490) sockets. Also what happened to LGA 3467 and Xeon WS CPUs? Surely that CPU should have been there next.
Oh forgot, LGA 3467 and Xeon WS magically dissapeared after the presentation with the chiller........ So another gimmick.

And that shows the desperation of the mighty Intel!!!!

Especially after their 10nm laptop CPUs take heavy beating from the 7nm AMD 4000 laptop searies. Where Intel even paired one of these with a RTX2080ti mobile to show is faster on gaming than the AMD which was using RTX2060!!!!!! (with a 3750H!!!!!)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Not quite sure how a 22 core is poised to take the multicore performance crown away from a 64 core...

Won't even take it away from the 32 core or the rumored 48 core...

Oh and the currently existing 24 core 3960x either. Intel is well and truly dusted.

Soldato
OP
As reported in the media in 2017 before Ryzen was launched was the lack of R&D in Intel as they wernt concerned at all and IF Ryzen was as good as AMD promised (and oh how the media laughed at that statement), then it would be 2021 before Intel could fight back....

Soldato
They are mentioning it competing with Ryzen, not Threadripper which pretty much says all you need to know.
And pray tell how does a HEDT chip compete with a mainstream desktop chip? So they're wheeling out a HEDT beast just to "take back" the multicore performance crown, yet totally ignoring AMD's HEDT product - i.e. the real, apples-to-apples comparison - which will absolutely ******* crush it.

So yeah, I guess this does tell me all I need to know: Intel right now are an embarrassing joke.

Soldato
As reported in the media in 2017 before Ryzen was launched was the lack of R&D in Intel as they wernt concerned at all and IF Ryzen was as good as AMD promised (and oh how the media laughed at that statement), then it would be 2021 before Intel could fight back....

May I ask why you wrote "Ryzen killer" on the headline, knowingly full well is clickbait headline and not even the media dare to use that wording?

As for 2021, make it 2024-2025 when the Intel MCM architecture is up when by that time AMD is changing architecture from planned Zen5 to a new one away from Zen.

10nm+ Intel CPUs are still monolithic that cannot compete. Look at the Intel laptop 10nm cpus vs the Ryzen 4000 ones. Barely can compete with the Zen+ laptop CPUs.

And correctly wrote 10nm+ because early last year Intel decided to improve the density of the 10nm chips creating the "10nm+", in case could resolve the IPC & speed deficiencies against the 14nm+++ process but failed at the end.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

May I ask why you wrote "Ryzen killer" on the headline, knowingly full well is clickbait headline and not even the media dare to use that wording?

As for 2021, make it 2024-2025 when the Intel MCM architecture is up when by that time AMD is changing architecture from planned Zen5 to a new one away from Zen.

10nm+ Intel CPUs are still monolithic that cannot compete. Look at the Intel laptop 10nm cpus vs the Ryzen 4000 ones. Barely can compete with the Zen+ laptop CPUs.

And correctly wrote 10nm+ because early last year Intel decided to improve the density of the 10nm chips creating the "10nm+", in case could resolve the IPC & speed deficiencies against the 14nm+++ process but failed at the end.

2024/25 AMD might likely be on 3nm if not less

Soldato
These will be 28 core dies salvaged, they are 700mm^2.

On a 300mm Wafer Intel would get about 50 dies with 95% yields, a 300mm 14nm costs $4.800. Comes to about $95 per die.

Its not so much the cost, AMD's 64 core chips will cost about half that with the IO die, its the amount of wafers used to make those dies, AMD get about 1,200 8 core chiplets out of the same size 7nm wafer, about 150 TR 3990X CPU's, when you have a limited wafer supply, which apparently Intel do, using that many wafers to make your CPU's really hurts your supply. you have to charge a lot of money for the CPU's to make up for lost wafers you could be making many more much smaller mainstream CPU's with.

It makes one wonder if Intel suddenly have a huge supply of them because someone cancelled their massive order of 28 core server chips and need to get rid of them, how could that have possibly happened? who else makes X86 server chips???????

You're not getting 95% yield on a chip this size mate. Chiplet size yes, not on the monolithic die Intel have here. Am I wrong here or what? 95% is massive even with a mature process.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a halo product, nothing more. It's an attempt by Intel to stay relevant, I give props to Intel for trying but this chip, mainly the TDP, shows how far Intel have to push this thing to give the appearance of competition.

Humbug is right, if they do produce this chip, and I mean for sale in actual servers you can buy, it will cost them more money to produce it rather than just using the FAB space to make 9900KS for example. If they get any more than 20-30 working, and at the speed/thermals needed, then I'll be surprised - it just reeks of desperation!

Soldato
This is a halo product, nothing more...- it just reeks of desperation!

I'm fairly sure that Intel's Chief Performance Strategist will be able to come up with some way of fabricating benchmarks that show Intel being on top. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and work something into the benchmarks about how it'll reduce your heating bills because you can keep your entire house warm whilst playing games.

Soldato
And pray tell how does a HEDT chip compete with a mainstream desktop chip? So they're wheeling out a HEDT beast just to "take back" the multicore performance crown, yet totally ignoring AMD's HEDT product - i.e. the real, apples-to-apples comparison - which will absolutely ******* crush it.

So yeah, I guess this does tell me all I need to know: Intel right now are an embarrassing joke.

That was my point. They are comparing it to Ryzen because they know they will not be able to compete with Threadripper at all. It's all marketing, which is what Intel seem to rely on most just now.

Caporegime
I'm fairly sure that Intel's Chief Performance Strategist will be able to come up with some way of fabricating benchmarks that show Intel being on top. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and work something into the benchmarks about how it'll reduce your heating bills because you can keep your entire house warm whilst playing games.

Yeah about that, doesn't all this constant lying and manipulation just eat away at Intel's credibility?

You can probably get away with shenanigans for a while but Intel have been at it for a lot longer than it takes people to see through it and its 'literally' Ryan Shrout levels of BS'ing, Intel have already become a Meme for their hilarious attempts at staying relevant and the more they keep Ryan Shrout'ing their marketing the more clownish and desperate people will see them.

The Big Scary Intel increasingly becomes a joke.

Soldato
These will be 28 core dies salvaged, they are 700mm^2.

On a 300mm Wafer Intel would get about 50 dies with 95% yields, a 300mm 14nm costs $4.800. Comes to about $95 per die.

Its not so much the cost, AMD's 64 core chips will cost about half that with the IO die, its the amount of wafers used to make those dies, AMD get about 1,200 8 core chiplets out of the same size 7nm wafer, about 150 TR 3990X CPU's, when you have a limited wafer supply, which apparently Intel do, using that many wafers to make your CPU's really hurts your supply. you have to charge a lot of money for the CPU's to make up for lost wafers you could be making many more much smaller mainstream CPU's with.

It makes one wonder if Intel suddenly have a huge supply of them because someone cancelled their massive order of 28 core server chips and need to get rid of them, how could that have possibly happened? who else makes X86 server chips???????

a) 6core Coffeelake just 2 years ago had 74.85% yield, so not even in Intel's dreams can get 95% yield on the 22core chip or even the 8 core chip (9900K).

b) A XCC chip is 21.6mm x 32.3mm (698mm2). With 0.2 def density has yield 29.06% so 21 CPUs per waffer at best.

Those monolithic chips are too big and too expensive. Same applies to the Nvidia chips. Consider that the 698mm2 chip above isn't that much smaller than the 775mm2 (31mm x 25mm) used on the RTX2080Ti having around 25.83% yields.

And that gets worse at 7nm process, which is more complex and yield on such big chips goes down, let alone 5nm which we know for 100mm2 chip the yield atm are sub 30%!!!!!

Soldato
Intels marketing has always been bad when it felt the need to, remember the Athlon days, but my mate Ryan has ratcheted it up a few notches from those heights. They really need to be careful as they can easily see themselves on the wrong end of an FTC lawsuit for all their bullcrap and lies - especially the rules on declarations in marketing slides!

Intel got off lightly with their $1B fine from the Athlon days, it should have been in the region of 10 times as much(imo), it took AMD this long, over 10 years, to recover.

If Intel can't sort their manufacturing soon I can see them getting nasty and playing dirty, just like NVidia in the R300 days.

Soldato
Intels marketing has always been bad when it felt the need to, remember the Athlon days, but my mate Ryan has ratcheted it up a few notches from those heights. They really need to be careful as they can easily see themselves on the wrong end of an FTC lawsuit for all their bullcrap and lies - especially the rules on declarations in marketing slides!

Intel got off lightly with their $1B fine from the Athlon days, it should have been in the region of 10 times as much(imo), it took AMD this long, over 10 years, to recover.

If Intel can't sort their manufacturing soon I can see them getting nasty and playing dirty, just like NVidia in the R300 days.

Tom Petersen is pushing marketing and he is as toxic as Jen-Hsun Huang, maybe even more after being Huangs whipping boy for years. Shrout is just Petersen’s yes man.

Back
Top Bottom