Porsche Cayman - Dying

Associate
OP

Ive got one of these Ctek chargers keeping my Cayman charged over winter. If you get the comfort attachment, you can connect it to the cigarette lighter. Quicker than connecting it under the frunk. Nice, simple piece of kit
Do you mind sharing a link to what you have. I may purchase the same.

Associate
I’m really surprised such an expensive modern car needs its battery charged whilst parked for 2-3 weeks! That’s just crazy.

My 10-15 year old Mercades have never given me any problems. In fact my 57 plate CLK still has its original battery and has never failed to start even after 2-3 weeks.

Porsche has booked me in overnight and said they will likely give the battery a 8-9 hour charge.

Can’t I just do this myself at home via the cigarette lighter port as above? Save me two trips to Porsche...?

The battery fitted is no different to any car really. I dont think most people realise that a quick blast out in a car every week or two just isnt enough for the alternator to properly charge the battery. I drive mine porsche fairly regularly (3 weeks apart being rare) and when i reattach the battery charger it still takes 5-6 hours to fill the battery.

Just be glad it isnt a mclaren when the new batt costs you 3k lol.

No reason you cant do it yourself. Buy a CTEK MXS5.0. The charger porsche will sell you is just a CTEK5 with a different label.

Caporegime
I’m really surprised such an expensive modern car needs its battery charged whilst parked for 2-3 weeks! That’s just crazy.

My 10-15 year old Mercades have never given me any problems. In fact my 57 plate CLK still has its original battery and has never failed to start even after 2-3 weeks.

Porsche has booked me in overnight and said they will likely give the battery a 8-9 hour charge.

Can’t I just do this myself at home via the cigarette lighter port as above? Save me two trips to Porsche...?

You mean a modern car, with more tech uses more power? CRAZY!

Permabanned
It’s a 6 year old battery... just replace the thing ffs! It’s past it’s lifecycle.

Then do this wonderful thing called DRIVING the car... surprisingly enough, it’s what they are designed for & they don’t tend to like it when they’re not used for their intended purpose... it causes things like this.

I don’t understand people who don’t drive their cars...

Soldato
Recommend a CTEK5

Just saved my battery by using one - stop start had failed to engage for months and headlamps had started to flicker at idle, and car didn't like heated screen on.

After a full cycle or two with the CTEK5, everything was back to normal - battery was charging properly on longer journeys again.

I recommend one - cheaper than a new battery and great to have in general

Caporegime
It’s a 6 year old battery... just replace the thing ffs! It’s past it’s lifecycle.

Then do this wonderful thing called DRIVING the car... surprisingly enough, it’s what they are designed for & they don’t tend to like it when they’re not used for their intended purpose... it causes things like this.

I don’t understand people who don’t drive their cars...

Why spend £200 on a new battery when you can buy a smart charger and re-condition it for £50?

Also 6 year old is nothing. A well looked after battery will easy last 3 times that and more.

What if I don't need to drive the car? As in I don't need to go anywhere in it? I don't use the convertible for sometimes a month maybe longer in winter. When I do guess what that short 5 minute trip probably drained more of the battery than it charged because of cranking the engine, running the heater, amp, music, cd changer, heated rear screen, heated seats, etc.

Caporegime
You would expect a car battery to last 18+ years? Really?

6-10 years would be about right for a car battery in our climate with frequent use and no constant short journeys etc.

If looked after yeah and if it's a decent battery and not the cheapest one they had in stock.

They can be self refilled too with water and epsolm salts but mine is all self contained so not user serviceable.

By well looked after I mean not letting charge ever fall below 50%, etc and using a smart charger at least once a month to keep it well conditioned.

Caporegime
You would expect a car battery to last 18+ years? Really?
My old e38 still had its original (17 year old) battery when I bought it, it was showing signs of failing tbh but it still started the car easily, I replaced it after about 5 months when I got sick of the gearbox throwing faults due to low voltages.

Man of Honour
Why spend £200 on a new battery when you can buy a smart charger and re-condition it for £50?

Also 6 year old is nothing. A well looked after battery will easy last 3 times that and more.

What if I don't need to drive the car? As in I don't need to go anywhere in it? I don't use the convertible for sometimes a month maybe longer in winter. When I do guess what that short 5 minute trip probably drained more of the battery than it charged because of cranking the engine, running the heater, amp, music, cd changer, heated rear screen, heated seats, etc.
These days, 6 years is pretty good going for a car battery. I'd be astounded if people got 18 years out of a modern car battery.

Soldato
similar issues with my 997.2 i've bought a new battery but yet to replace it, i left my car for 5 or 10 mins a couple of weeks ago with lights on and came back and it was dead, odd thing is its been fine since and I only use it once or twice a week.

Soldato
encouraged from this thread I decided to change the battery today and the difference is day and night, sounds a lot more energetic when starting and havent had a single reboot of the pcm since fitting, mine would do it on every start and on occasion whilst running, why i didnt do it sooner is another question :)

Soldato
Just change the battery. Don't get why people splash out on cars but won't spend on maintenance.
well for me I wasnt 100% sure it was the battery at fault, i just thought the PCM was on its way out as I didnt have any other side effects until it was flat a few weeks ago, and from what I read a PCM replacement could run into £1000's

Back
Top Bottom