Budget £550 (max) - Should I wait for the LG 27GL850-B ?

Associate
So I have been hanging on waiting for the LG 27GL850-B to arrive back in stock (apparently a very large shipment is arriving at the end of this month).

However in the meantime, I’ve started picking up on a lot of the reviews talking about the contrast levels/blacks being a particularly weak point.

My budget is up to about £550 - is there a better option out there for 1440p gaming? I know 27” is the sweet spot at this resolution so I’d like to stick with that, and I’m using a 5700XT so I guess I’ll need Freesync.

Associate
For contrast and blacks you tend to want VA rather than IPS. The AOC AGON AG273QX is supposed to be a really great monitor - 27", Flat, VA, 1440p, 165Hz, Freesync 2, reasonable HDR support etc etc.

However it seems that the November release date wasn't exactly truthful and it's still very hard to find. The few reviews that exist have been very positive about it.

If you like VA... and if you can actually find one for sale.

Associate
However in the meantime, I’ve started picking up on a lot of the reviews talking about the contrast levels/blacks being a particularly weak point.

I think there's a bit of a disconnect between reviewers with their calibration kits and their thirst for supplying numbers, and real-world usage.

I've owned tons of PC monitors in the last 30 years (yes, really), and I've had no problems with the GL850 whatsoever. The OOTB brightness and RGB "Red" settings were a bit high for my tastes, but are easily toned down via the menus. This monitor has as good colour and contrast as the ASUS ProArt that it replaced, and I was always pretty pleased with that monitor over the 4-5 years I used it.

The reality is that there is no perfect monitor. All the reviews I've seen for monitors with, say, better contrast, have a stack of alternate issues that make them far worse than the LG. Ho-hum. :)

Associate
The reality is that there is no perfect monitor. All the reviews I've seen for monitors with, say, better contrast, have a stack of alternate issues that make them far worse than the LG. Ho-hum. :)

I've been going round in circles for days trying to figure out which monitor and the above really does rain true I'd say.

Someone like me who isn't a massive enthusiast will just get a screen like this and it will be amazing. I won't notice all the details.

And as I've just found the 850 for 499 euro I've gone and ordered it. No more messing about!

Associate
And as I've just found the 850 for 499 euro I've gone and ordered it. No more messing about!

Congrats! I think the price has been pushed up a bit since I grabbed mine for 470 Euros or so, but I still think it's worth the money. Ps. Don't forget to grab a UK power cable (Rainforest - £5). :D

Associate
Congrats! I think the price has been pushed up a bit since I grabbed mine for 470 Euros or so, but I still think it's worth the money. Ps. Don't forget to grab a UK power cable (Rainforest - £5). :D

Doh! I never thought of that. Just a figure of 8 or kettle plug?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys.

I currently have a 1440p 29" ultrawide Asus PB298Q, which is nice, don't get me wrong, but after 4 years of it, I'm tired of 21:9 now. I want to return to a 'normal' screen.

*** No competitor talk please ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom