Corsair Commander Pro - 3 fans per channel?

Soldato
So, I'm sick of AI suite 3. I got the Maximus X Formula because of the watercooling integration, but it's let down heavily by the software, I hate it.

So I need reliable fan control.

Some reading has suggested that issues can arise from running 3+ fans on 1 channel with the Corsair Commander Pro. Can anyone confirm this?

I have 3 sets of PWM fans, soldered into banks of 3, and I'm adding an additional bank of 2. Will I have issues if I go with the Commander Pro?

I also need to monitor temp probes, PWM pump, and some external WS2812B strips.

If the Commander Pro isn't suitable, I suppose its the Aquero 6 LT or some other device you clever lot recommend?

Soldato
OP
AquaComputer's controllers beat the snot out of others in configurability.
Besides Aquaero there's also now cheaper less functions containing Quadro for just controlling PWM fans.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-quadro-pwm-fan-controller-wc-338-aq.html

I'm so very grateful for this mate, thank you. Money is incredibly tight and I wanted the Aquero 6 XT but couldn't afford one. I didn't realise this existed, it looks perfect.

Working out the channels I'm within 2A for every bank, and the features look perfect.

Is this device compatible with off-the-shelf digital RGB strips? I'm struggling to find info on the RGB type.

Also, do you know if those small connectors are readily available, say from RS, so you can make your own leads up?

Soldato
I'm so very grateful for this mate, thank you. Money is incredibly tight and I wanted the Aquero 6 XT but couldn't afford one. I didn't realise this existed, it looks perfect.

Working out the channels I'm within 2A for every bank, and the features look perfect.

Is this device compatible with off-the-shelf digital RGB strips? I'm struggling to find info on the RGB type.

Also, do you know if those small connectors are readily available, say from RS, so you can make your own leads up?
From what I can tell, it passes RGB from an input. I didn't think it had RGB control of its own but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Looks like such a handy little board.

Soldato
Programmability is now pretty insane at basically full blown programmable logic level:
https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-foren/english-forum/109453-breaking-all-limits-aquasuite-x-6/
(school experience from programmable logics made configuring Aquaero easy)

If needing more than four channels I'm sure second Quadro could be added later.
At least two of them can be chained into Aquaero for extra PWM fan channels to be controlled by it.
Also Quadro "slaved" to Aquaero could be still attached directly to mobo using USB for firmware updates.
Got this answer fair month ago when asking some questions related to PC upgrade I have coming and possible changes with it:

So if possible I recommend that you keep a USB connection to the QUADRO. USB and aquabus can be connected at the same time. Please note that when aquabus is connected, it will have the higher priority for all features that can be controlled via aquabus. So for example the fan ports of the QUADRO can only be controlled through the aquaero in this case but not through QUADROs own menu. The RGBpx settings for example can be only accessed through QUADROs own menu because they do not work via aquabus.

Those tiny connectors might be "PicoBlade" type.
At least they seem to be with 1.25mm pitch.

Lightning stuff isn't usually very compatible with each others, but product page has this for Quadro:
RGBpx controller for addressable LEDs
The QUADRO controller is equipped with an RGBpx output for controlling up to 64 addressable LEDs independently. Color and brightness can be individually controlled for each LED. In total, up to four groups of LEDs of varying size can be configured, and visual effects can be assigned to each group. The 23 available effects can be extensively adjusted for further customization. Many effects can also be configured to modify effect parameters (for example speed) depending on current sensor data. The available effects also include sound-to-light effects, visualizing computer sound output. The AMBIENTpx effect deserves special notice, replicating the border area of the current monitor display on connected LEDs, allowing for an impressive background lighting surrounding the monitor.
Alternatively to the LED strips offered by Aqua Computer, LED fans made by Corsair and NZXT can be connected using the optional accessory RGBpx Splitty4 (item code 53267, not included in delivery).

So at least some fans are compatible and they have some addressable LED adapters.
Would be best to ask their support.
Pretty sure you would get thorough answer.
Support is certainly top notch considering answers I got to my questions.

Soldato
OP
From what I can tell, it passes RGB from an input. I didn't think it had RGB control of its own but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Looks like such a handy little board.

Hi mate, have you got your parcel yet?

Yep, I'm quite impressed so far, seems it'll do exactly what I need. Given its its nearly half the price of the Commander Pro, and I hate the way Corsair supports their products, I'm very tempted indeed.

@EsaT thanks for the input mate, much appreciated. Looks superb. I particularly appreciate a lack of dependence on a USB connection, and 2A per channel. Not to mention how impressive the software is. RGB is least important aspect to me, but it's nice to know I should be able to grow into the platform if lighting becomes more important. I hate relying on proprietary connections, so I'll do some reading into picoblade connectors.

When the D5 NEXT released I was practically gushing, had my circumstances not changed I'd likely be knee deep in Aquero parts by now :D

What's the deal with the software? Light reading I did earlier suggested some sort of licencing?

Thanks again.

Soldato
I particularly appreciate a lack of dependence on a USB connection, and 2A per channel.
While all actual programming runs in device itself, USB is needed for software temperature readings.
But if only physical sensors connected to device are used there's no strict need for any connection to USB.
Except for initial configuring/programming and possible monitoring using Aquasuite.

Physical sensors are anyway good backup in case PC somehow halts/software crashes.
Though you can set cooling guaranteeing "fail safe" fallback value for software sensor readings, if connection to background communication process is lost for longer than set timeout value.
Myself just set that fallback value lowish and Aquero to use physical sensor reading if it goes higher than software reading.
With offset for physical sensor reading to take into account its position in base of heatsink and hence showing lower reading than actual CPU temperature.

When you first take device into use and "activate" Aquasuite for it you get permanent license to use that version of Aquasuite and all the upgrades coming in year or so "support time".
After upgrade/"support" period ends you can still keep using that last version valid for license, if you don't need/want possible updated/added features.
And software license is tied to device used for activating, so if you move that device to new PC license stays and you get to install last version license is valid for.
(that was one of the things I asked)

Besides being able to buy "update service" for getting latest Aquasuite and another period of updates, new devices can be also used to update Aquasuite license to latest available at that time. (+update period)
With software license then getting tied to that device.

Soldato
Hi mate, have you got your parcel yet?

Yep, I'm quite impressed so far, seems it'll do exactly what I need. Given its its nearly half the price of the Commander Pro, and I hate the way Corsair supports their products, I'm very tempted indeed.
No package yet but I'm probably busy until Saturday anyway :)

It's Corsair stuff that's driving me away from RGB. They make it look super proprietary and you open stuff up to find it's just normal circuit designs. But I bet if I do loads of custom wiring somehow there'll be a gotcha.

Soldato
OP
I use hardware sensors so that's fine by me. The license thing is an interesting approach, so I assume you register your 0roduct and gain a software license.

Normally I'd be annoyed by that, but given their approach to the suite I don't mind. It seems significantly more comprehensive than any of the competing packages.

No package yet but I'm probably busy until Saturday anyway :)

It's Corsair stuff that's driving me away from RGB. They make it look super proprietary and you open stuff up to find it's just normal circuit designs. But I bet if I do loads of custom wiring somehow there'll be a gotcha.

Might be today then mate.

Thing that annoyed me about Corsair was they stitched up LINK owners. We spent years complaint about bugs they denied or never fixed, banning the forum members who were too vocal. Then thy dropped support of the Commander Mini in iCue and quietly released the Pro. I'm happy to have an alternative Tbh.

To my knowledge Corsair RGB strips are
WS2812B, so any should be fine.

I'm trying to find out exactly how AC handles it.

Soldato
so I assume you register your 0roduct and gain a software license
There's no kind usual registering hassle where you need to give your personal info, or write down any serial numbers.
While one info post in their forum still has text you need to write "license ID" of device manually into Aquasuite, at the time I bought Aquaero it was already automatically recognizing connected devices.
Don't remember it exactly, but basically Aquasuite recognized connected device during its install process and activating license was like one or two mouse clicks during installing Aquasuite.
Which is the only time software truly needs any connection to internet.

And of course when moving device to another/new PC/Windows installation when installer checks from AquaComputer's server, if there's license active for that device and which Aquasuite version it covers.

Soldato
OP
There's no kind usual registering hassle where you need to give your personal info, or write down any serial numbers.
While one info post in their forum still has text you need to write "license ID" of device manually into Aquasuite, at the time I bought Aquaero it was already automatically recognizing connected devices.
Don't remember it exactly, but basically Aquasuite recognized connected device during its install process and activating license was like one or two mouse clicks during installing Aquasuite.
Which is the only time software truly needs any connection to internet.

And of course when moving device to another/new PC/Windows installation when installer checks from AquaComputer's server, if there's license active for that device and which Aquasuite version it covers.

T
Wow; they really are doing it right. For years I've considered them, but I've always found YouTube content a little sparse, and I've generally used onboard on Corsair.

Looking forward to trying it out, thanks man.

Soldato
Aquacomputer could do better job in availability of English instructions.
But unlike Microsoft constantly screwing around to mess things just for the sake of messing things, features/use has been stable for long time.
Here's some information with heavy duty setup with Aquaero LT slaved for extra channels.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1726492-aquaero-aquasuite-software-setup-guide.html

Just realised I might still have one unused/unactivated license in Poweradjust, because I used Aquaero for getting active license when installing Aquasuite...

Really only possible snag with Aquasuite's license system would be if Aquacomputer shut down.
But suspect they would make last version of Aquasuite to be automatically active for owners of their devices before that and possibly release it as open source.
They aren't some greedy DRM jerk ass corporation wanting to enslave and humiliate customer in every turn, like content mafia does with movies etc you've bought... Or want to buy and watch the way you like.

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and also setting myself up for a new task -- water cooling. And guess what, I am planning to water cool my pc using NR200 and shift my current setup from Ncase M1 into the new NR200. I am in the middle of acquiring all the water cooling components.

I am in a dilemma if getting a corsair commander pro is worth for 2 reasons. Infact they are the question I need answers to from this kind group -
1) Does commander pro fit in the front hollow chamber, if not, where else can I put this thing in, it looks to be a long item for an SFF?
2) Can it do the fan controlling for each individual fans or will it be 1 curve for all? I am planning to have 2xArctic P14s (side rad), 2xNoctua A12x25s (top pair) and 2xNoctua A12x15s (bottom rad)?

Associate
just for info of those in the thread as it may be useful, I'm using a Quadro connected to an Aquereo 6 XT, with adapters brought from the manufacturer(only place i could source them ocuk dont sell them) i managed to convert the rgbpx port to a standard mobo 3 pin 5v port look in the rgbpx section on the manufacturer website for the little adapter, I'm currently running 4 phanteks neon lightstips of 1 port i think 100 leds is the max from memory.
also running 8 noctua industrial 2k rpm fans 6 120 and 2 140; 2 of each port the aquereo 6, used to be 1 fan on every port of the aquereo 6 and 1 of eahc of the quadro, but had to rejig with a new case(cables dont reach).
you can also get a splitty 4 which i also have, which plugs into the quadro rgbpx slot and allows the use of corsair rgb fans.

Back
Top Bottom