• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch Ryzen killer - the Core i9-10990XE (rumour)

Soldato
Wrong information

Well good morning first post member. Hows the weather over at Andrew Shrouts building today? You come on to the main retail tech site in the UK and get defending INTEL without any facts, just posting "wrong" in peoples replies lol.

Can you hook me up with an air condenser cooler and a LGA 3467 and Xeon WS CPU setup please? Ask Shrouty if you can get the INTEL credit card out and gift me one, see what he says? Go on, please?

Man of Honour
Well good morning first post member. Hows the weather over at Andrew Shrouts building today? You come on to the main retail tech site in the UK and get defending INTEL without any facts, just posting "wrong" in peoples replies lol.

Can you hook me up with an air condenser cooler and a LGA 3467 and Xeon WS CPU setup please? Ask Shrouty if you can get the INTEL credit card out and gift me one, see what he says? Go on, please?

Serious question... Would you really want one? I suspect they may not be able to give them away. This thing will get rompa stomped by a zen HEDT part.

Soldato
I suspect they may not be able to give them away. This thing will get rompa stomped by a zen HEDT part.
I'd happily take one for free. All of my planned mod projects are purely aesthetic so it doesn't matter what hardware goes into it. Hell, for exactly the reason you state in Threadripper battering the Xeon, Intel kit is only good for art projects anyway.

Look at that limited edition XForma system with the dual Xeons and black chrome-plated hardline. Utterly stunning work of art for 30 grand or so, absolutely humiliated as an actual computer by a 4 grand Threadripper.
https://www.facebook.com/MBXForma/posts/2282954325144425

Man of Honour
I'd happily take one for free. All of my planned mod projects are purely aesthetic so it doesn't matter what hardware goes into it. Hell, for exactly the reason you state in Threadripper battering the Xeon, Intel kit is only good for art projects anyway.

Look at that limited edition XForma system with the dual Xeons and black chrome-plated hardline. Utterly stunning work of art for 30 grand or so, absolutely humiliated as an actual computer by a 4 grand Threadripper.
https://www.facebook.com/MBXForma/posts/2282954325144425

That thing looks pretty cool, 2x 8180's as well in that tiny thing! There goes 20k. The thing is though if it was "art project" money then that would be fine but to know you end up with an already outdated, compromised and actually not great performing bit of "art" that is going to cost you 30k, It takes away some of the charm. I wan't my bit of art to look exactly like that bit but house a pair of 7742's and 10 2tb nvme drives in raid as well as perhaps a couple of Instinct cards, that's what I would like, that would be my art.

Free is fine id take that but anything more than what it's actually worth then you can't (unless you are running intel specific code) justify them. I just think if my DC's are anything to go by (which I have almost entirely migrated to AMD Rome) then id take the Rome 100% of the time. I can really see the charm of these little Rome cpu's. They draw a load less power than what I had before for more performance. I have had no stability issues, no downtime, at worst things just work as they did before, at best and in some workloads I get double or more performance. I draw less power from my 42u 3 phase HP DC ups and in my testing so far it is giving me far better uptime on my batteries (42u of batteries is around 2.5 metric tonns for anybody interested). Basically before I could run pretty much everything while throttling and using HA/DRS to move VM's and start powering off hosts, I used to be able to stretch for a couple of days (including desk phones where necessary over poe). With the changes made I draw a lot less on the servers. Basically i'm going from 7 servers to just 3, moving from 12 Intel CPU's to 3 AMD CPUs, at full chat they draw less than 1/3rd so we are golden for several days so long as we can keep the heat in the DC under control. It's just not worth risking the disks if it gets too hot. To top it off as the 10 year plan, there are 3 spare sockets across my AMD estate. So when I need more I can throw in another CPU and we can expand with little to no effort.

Last edited:
Soldato
God i love the smell of 380 watts of desperation, Could it get any better than watching someone who abused you get abused themselves?

ROFL

I was on reddit the other day asking questions to see how owners were overclocking their 10980xe chips.

And all the ones I spoke to said the cpu would draw 500w to 600w by itself. At this point I felt pretty good because my own overclocked 3950x which matches their cinebench scores only uses 250w

If this 22 core monstrosity is real there I no way it's 380w tdp is at load. The actual power draw is gonna to be at least double that!

Soldato
Indeed intel are completely full of excrement.
I actually bequiet version of tdp, they use a heater and see how many watts can be dissapated by their fan systems
The chip makers should list the version of how many watts are made idle and at full load.

Permabanned
I was on reddit the other day asking questions to see how owners were overclocking their 10980xe chips.

And all the ones I spoke to said the cpu would draw 500w to 600w by itself. At this point I felt pretty good because my own overclocked 3950x which matches their cinebench scores only uses 250w

If this 22 core monstrosity is real there I no way it's 380w tdp is at load. The actual power draw is gonna to be at least double that!

Thats my AX860i out then! Maybe Intel have a chiller in the works i remember i used to go to College, Grab a pizza and Custompc magazine in the 1999's and full tower chillers were the cool thing. That is exactly the kind of person who would try to cool 500w.

Soldato
It should be the TDP at max load and something like Prime. Hence intel's "TDP" is fake and not representative of anything besides slightly higher load than if sitting idle.

Ehhhhh....

AMD doesn't call max load TDP either.

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1217485393181933568
Pro AMD tip: Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) can be used for more than just auto-OC. Enabling its advanced mode can let you cTDP down to whatever you want. Example: want a 45W TDP 3900X? Set the PPT to 61. Desired TDP*1.35 = PPT value you should set.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19
  • Package Power Tracking (PPT): The power threshold that is allowed to be delivered to the socket.
    • This is 88W for 65W TDP processors, and 142W for 105W TDP processors.

The only good thing about AMD is that you can multiply all their TDP numbers by, as above, 1.35, to see the actual power limit the CPU will do it's best to max out if allowed to. At least on the modern AMD cpus.

Intel on the other hand, they give you a number that's completely worthless and you'll need to hook it all up to a power meter to measure things.

Soldato
Gents, the W-3175X which is a 28core CPU and 268W TDP, needs some massive VRM to run it with 2 24pin connectors and half dosen 8-pin ones.
https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/ROG-Dominus-Extreme/

The EVGA version has watercooling block for the VRM!!!!

Do you actually believe that 10990XE 22core CPU with 380W TDP would run on existing X299 boards? Of course not. Because this is a fake chip.

Back
Top Bottom