• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New rx590 not booting.

Soldato
Hi all, picked a new rx590 up earlier from ocuk. I've just taken out my old 270x

Rx590 had been fitted. All appears to be seated correctly.

500w psu is connected via 8 pin (6 pin and 2 pin).

Turned the system on and the fans kick in on the card, it's showing a white light over the psu connector and the gigabyte logo lights up.

I'm getting nothing on the screens. Tried hdmi and dvi screens and cables.

I'm not even getting the bios screen.

Any advice?

Only thing I can think it's the mobo isn't good enough or its not seated properly but I've tried several times. Not had this before.

Mobo is a gigabyte ga-z77-d3h

Soldato
Tried it in the other PCI-E slot?

I had a similar issue on exactly the same motherboard awhile back, for whatever reason my RX580 refused to work in the first PCI-E slot while my other cards worked fine.

Soldato
It doesn't matter if it's a 4X slot, it should still run albeit with restricted bandwidth. Regardless, I doubt you'll see much if any performance loss if it does work to be honest.

Soldato
OP
Just tried it.

Same as before. Powers on but screens do nothing.

If I remove the dvi cables I get a no dvi message on the screen but if I connect it out just stays black.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If a BIOS update doesn't solve it, I have a vague memory of something similar to this and it was to do with the BIOS on the mobo being in legacy mode, rather than UEFI mode, which a newer GPU required, and switching the BIOS to UEFI

Soldato
OP
Are you running the latest bios for your motherboard?

Failing that I'd assume you've received a dead card.
If a BIOS update doesn't solve it, I have a vague memory of something similar to this and it was to do with the BIOS on the mobo being in legacy mode, rather than UEFI mode, which a newer GPU required, and switching the BIOS to UEFI

I'm not sure on the bios but it's doubtful I've done it recently, you never seem to unless you have too.

I'm out now until late this evening then up for work at 5am but I'll have a look at both suggestions.

Thanks for the help

Man of Honour
As it's a Gigabyte Z77 board it's more than likely a incompatible motherboard bios. This was happening a lot about 6-12 months after Z77 came out and Nvidia and AMD launched new cards. Usual symptom is a black screen and was normally fixed with a motherboard bios update. If you already have the latest bios though you are probably not going to get that card to work in that board. CPU-z will tell you which bios version your board is running under the motherboard tab. The latest bios release for your board is F23b from 2014.

On a side note, what make and model is that 500w psu?

Soldato
OP
As it's a Gigabyte Z77 board it's more than likely a incompatible motherboard bios. This was happening a lot about 6-12 months after Z77 came out and Nvidia and AMD launched new cards. Usual symptom is a black screen and was normally fixed with a motherboard bios update. If you already have the latest bios though you are probably not going to get that card to work in that board. CPU-z will tell you which bios version your board is running under the motherboard tab. The latest bios release for your board is F23b from 2014.

On a side note, what make and model is that 500w psu?

My bios is f14 from 2012

Latest bios f23b beta from. 2014.

Not looking good.

Psu was a cheapy job I think after my expensive one died. Always meant to replace it but never got around to it. Evga 500w

Soldato
My bios is f14 from 2012

Latest bios f23b beta from. 2014.

Not looking good.

Psu was a cheapy job I think after my expensive one died. Always meant to replace it but never got around to it. Evga 500w

If you do get things running with a bios update, I would recommend that you undervolt your RX590.

Most Polaris cards undervolt by a decent amount, and if you're on an el'cheapo PSU it'll safeguard you a little until you can get a replacement.

Soldato
OP
Well, i'm writing this from my new gfx card :D

thanks @Gray2233, @ljt & @pastymuncher

It was a bios update that was needed so i'm now running f23b and it's working ok on both screens :)
edit, now the bleeding dvd's beign recognised but not reading the driver/utility dvd :D fml

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom