Could have stopped a shoplifting? WWGDD?

Associate
For a basket of shopping I'd tend to agree that it's probably not worth getting involved. I would be interested to hear where some of the posters on this thread would draw the line though. Someones house being broken into? Witnessing an assault? Rape?

Personally my instinct is to get involved, but can understand why people are reticent through fear for their own personal safety, citing fear of prosecution though seems a bit daft as long as any use of force is reasonable you are unlikely to get in trouble.

Soldato
I'd like to think I'd do the good thing and stop them. However you never know how desperate the person committing the crime is, they may do anything to get past you.

Soldato
Credit to the guy on the till who went after him, I wonder if they're supposed to or not? :confused:

EDIT: I'm sure you're joking but why put yourself in danger to save small change for a massive corporation? It's just not worth it. They have insurance, it won't even be a blip on their radar.

A couple of points. No, if you've not seen the suspect take something, you're putting your business in risk of being sued for thousands if you stop someone and accuse them of stealing and they've not taken anything.

Secondly, it's been mentioned a couple of times how business are insured against theft. How? Probably 80% of theft you don't even know about. How would you claim for it? Also, you're having things stolen every day. How long does it take you to make an insurance claim? I can tell you, they are not insured (well, none of the ones I've worked for) **EDIT** You could be talking about the staff being insured? Well, they would perhaps get sick pay if stabbed... above that they might still likely have to make a legal claim to which I'm sure any business would likely be saying 'We never ask staff to interfere with shoplifters' or something along those lines.

A mate of mine is a store manager for Co-Op and he's told me that they can be given a disciplinary for going after shoplifters.

Yes, you could be disciplined, and rightly so, if you make a 'wrongful stop' as that's pretty serious (see above).

Soldato
Fair enough. Interesting to hear it from the other side. Still as a member of the general public I feel absolutely no need to protect a business's assets by chasing after shoplifters and putting myself in danger :)

Soldato
Wow. This forum, honestly... Second post I've RTM'd today!
Ah, so YOU'RE the one.... !!

Seriously though, why would you let people get away with stuff like this? The more society buries its' collective head in it's iPhone and just lets it happen, the more people will do and the more they will do it... because they know no-one will stop them anyway.
It may seem small and petty to you, but that same mentality translates to bigger crimes, too... and there are several threads about the sort of ******* disgusting stuff that people seem quite happy to ignore.

Soldato
Fair enough. Interesting to hear it from the other side. Still as a member of the general public I feel absolutely no need to protect a business's assets by chasing after shoplifters and putting myself in danger :)

No, I don't imagine any business would expect anyone to. It's quite a pathetic place we're in were there really isn't much deterrent to shoplifters at the moment and it's not nice, no matter your position, security, management or just staff, in feeling you have to challenge someone that could turn nasty and maybe pull a knife. I was dealing with a particularly aggressive individual who was coming at me saying I'd made a big mistake (by this point I had already physically removed him from the premises and he wasn't happy about it) and reaching round to his back pocket. I had a few seconds to decide if I should put him swiftly onto his back with a decent kick to the chest, or wait and see... I decided to wait and see and thankfully he was bluffing. It could have been very different if he'd had a knife. But what trouble might I have been in if I broke a few of his ribs and he had no weapon on him? Could I have claimed I felt in danger of my life? I hope so. Often you're better off letting them just go with whatever as you have little to gain and a lot to lose.

Soldato
I can see the point of view of those people saying they would do nothing.

But aren't you worried that while continuing to make his escape, he might fatally stab your uncle Ben?

Caporegime
For a basket of shopping I'd tend to agree that it's probably not worth getting involved. I would be interested to hear where some of the posters on this thread would draw the line though. Someones house being broken into? Witnessing an assault? Rape?

Personally my instinct is to get involved, but can understand why people are reticent through fear for their own personal safety, citing fear of prosecution though seems a bit daft as long as any use of force is reasonable you are unlikely to get in trouble.

supermarkets have security guards for a reason. you go up to them and say there is a guy wearing this and looks like that stealing. you should maybe go check it out.

there is no reason to A - take on the thief directly or B - completely ignore it.

Associate
People talking about being whimps, and others saying they don't fancy getting messed up over a mars bar. Just varies on the situation, let's be fair. Even those who are 6', work out, and have not had the best upbringing will still question whether saving the mars bar is worth it versus a group. There was that guy who got killed over asking 2 guys i think it was to pick up their litter, on the news years back. I've worked with some sketchy fellows before, and many have carried objects on person or in the van because, "self defence". I think there's a line between paranoia and stupidity, but hindsight is the only one that knows which.

Soldato
This isn't the plot for Spiderman, it's real life!

Wait, you're saying Spiderman wasn't a documentary?

Back on to the subject, many, many years ago I worked in a supermarket. On a good few occasions the 'secret code' came over the tannoy and I would rush to the front of the store and leg it outside to catch a shoplifter.
Given that my department was right at the back, I never so much as caught sight of one - but I got as far from the store as I could 'in pursuit' before I gave up and went back. :D

Caporegime
I believe everyone is personally responsible for making our society a better place
Yes by keeping our own actions honest. Not by attempting to apprehend potentially violent criminals.

Many of them wouldn't bat an eyelid before stabbing you, or would come back with a bunch of their similarly inclined mates at some later point.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

Soldato
Yes by keeping our own actions honest. Not by attempting to apprehend potentially violent criminals.

Many of them wouldn't bat an eyelid before stabbing you, or would come back with a bunch of their similarly inclined mates at some later point.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

I think we should all be allowed to carry knives or even guns legally if we're to assume every one committing a crime is carrying a knife, then again that probably is true down South

Can I borrow your Gucci belt?

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ you're welcome

Back
Top Bottom