Got a needle stuck in my eye

Caporegime
giphy.webp

I have to admit that did initially come to mind but thought there was actually something more sophisticated these days!

Soldato
Wet eye macular degeneration, that's not good. I believe it can be cured though if caught really early? My mum has dry type which is incurable and has injections every month or two to slow it down although I think she has wet type in one eye. Brother at age 51 been told he has it too, but very early stage.

Makes me think of the splinter scene from Zombie flash eaters. Was going to include a clip here but it's gross so if someone really wants to watch it, it's can be found on youtube!

Soldato
I might have to have this done in both eyes. This is due to pressure build up in my eyes caused by bleeding. Damn Type 2 Diabetes!!! :(

This is why I had to have it. You start off with a solution to widen the pupils and get your eyes photographed to check the extent of the bleeding. They mark your head with a sharpie to point to the affected eye. You then wait around until you go into a room which is super sterile (dont sneeze or touch anything) then you get more eye drops, which is anaesthetic, then they swab you down with iodine.

You sit in a chair that reclined and are told to look at the end of your nose and that's when you become acutely aware of the needle. It's probably 1mm in diameter, but when you see it in the corner of your vision coming towards you, its daunting.

As its inserted there is very little pain, but you can feel it going in and coming out again.

Normally, once the anaesthetic wears off, the pain starts. It's about the level of a mild headache and feels like you have grit in your eye.

When I have it done, I plan it at the end of the day, go straight to get something to eat and into bed before the anaesthetic wears off. If you dont manage to go to sleep before it wears off you have to really fight the urge to not rub your eye. Any dirt or germs that get near it while the puncture wound heals could make you blind.

Soldato
OP
My brother had his third injection three days before I had my first one and they put a see through plastic cover /patch over his eye but they didn't give me anything. Different health areas.
The only thing I had after was the feeling of grit in the eye.

Soldato
OP
So yesterday was my 2nd injection - It seems the Docs and nurses work 4 days a week but 8.00 till 6.00 so this time I had a different Doc. This time I felt the point of needle go in and it's line into my eye along with the reverse pull. It sounds bad but it wasn't painful or anything but just a funny feeling. I don't think she waited as long as the last Doc after putting drops in to plunging the needle in.
After two injections I don't think I have noticed any improvement in my eye condition. - I did read that Wet Macular Degeneration wasn't curable.
Only a month to go for next one then they do all the tests again.

It passed a few hours away.:rolleyes:

Soldato
So yesterday was my 2nd injection - It seems the Docs and nurses work 4 days a week but 8.00 till 6.00 so this time I had a different Doc. This time I felt the point of needle go in and it's line into my eye along with the reverse pull. It sounds bad but it wasn't painful or anything but just a funny feeling. I don't think she waited as long as the last Doc after putting drops in to plunging the needle in.
After two injections I don't think I have noticed any improvement in my eye condition. - I did read that Wet Macular Degeneration wasn't curable.
Only a month to go for next one then they do all the tests again.

It passed a few hours away.:rolleyes:

We must have been having ours done at the same time :D I was in and out in less than the standard 3 hours as there were a lot of cancellations due to the wweather. Like yourself, the doctor didnt wait long enough and was super painful this time around. I get less episodes of pressure on the eyeball where they inject, but they have given up on my left eye now.

Soldato
OP
It only affects mostly old people and yes it's scary because you can't see much.

Until something goes wrong with your eyes you don't realise how much you depend on them - silly thing like topping up my brandy glass - I keep finding I have missed the glass and got brandy all over worktop. - That is serious :eek:

PS Edit - I use a American shot glass for my drinks so it isn't very big. - I doubt I would miss a full size brandy glass.:D

Back
Top Bottom