Looking for - 27", 1080p, 144Hz, IPS

Associate
Hello!

Looks like all the spec of above on OCuk are out of stock for now.

Was originally getting (and had ordered) a 1440p, but forgot that a lot of my gaming is also done on PS4 and want to be able to use that without any issue.

I know PS5 is coming but no word on whether that will support 1440p yet.

Main uses:

- Photoshop
- Vegas
- Limited PC gaming
- PS4

Any recommendations?

Associate
Hello!

Looks like all the spec of above on OCuk are out of stock for now.

Was originally getting (and had ordered) a 1440p, but forgot that a lot of my gaming is also done on PS4 and want to be able to use that without any issue.

I know PS5 is coming but no word on whether that will support 1440p yet.

Main uses:

- Photoshop
- Vegas
- Limited PC gaming
- PS4

Any recommendations?

FWIW, I've just upgraded to the LG 27GL850 and also use it for my PS4 Pro. The upscaling looks great to me - I'd say the picture looks better than the ASUS 1080p monitor I was using beforehand.

Ps. I'd be very surprised if the next gen. consoles didn't support 1440p.

Associate
OP
FWIW, I've just upgraded to the LG 27GL850 and also use it for my PS4 Pro. The upscaling looks great to me - I'd say the picture looks better than the ASUS 1080p monitor I was using beforehand.

Ps. I'd be very surprised if the next gen. consoles didn't support 1440p.

Well that's something...

Is there any weird stretching or anything like that? Have you tried over multiple games?

It was the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q 27" LED IPS Gaming Monitor I had ordered so maybe I could just give it a go. Potentially an expensive mistake though!

If I did go down the 1080p route do you have any recommendations?

Associate
Well that's something...

Is there any weird stretching or anything like that? Have you tried over multiple games?

It was the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q 27" LED IPS Gaming Monitor I had ordered so maybe I could just give it a go. Potentially an expensive mistake though!

If I did go down the 1080p route do you have any recommendations?

No, nothing weird with the image, as the same aspect ratio (16:9) is maintained. I've played Horizon: Zero Dawn, GT Sport, Days Gone and Knack2 recently, and they all looked great (even the text seemed crisp.)

Sorry, no idea on 1080p monitors, as I only looked for 1440p, as I'd dropped a 1080ti in my PC and wanted a larger/higher-res monitor to go with it. In fact, getting a larger display for the PS4 usage was one of the main reasons for going for 27 inch, as I found the 24 inch didn't fill my peripheral vision properly at the 4 feet or so that I'm sat away from it when using a controller at my computer desk.

Associate
OP
No, nothing weird with the image, as the same aspect ratio (16:9) is maintained. I've played Horizon: Zero Dawn, GT Sport, Days Gone and Knack2 recently, and they all looked great (even the text seemed crisp.)

Sorry, no idea on 1080p monitors, as I only looked for 1440p, as I'd dropped a 1080ti in my PC and wanted a larger/higher-res monitor to go with it. In fact, getting a larger display for the PS4 usage was one of the main reasons for going for 27 inch, as I found the 24 inch didn't fill my peripheral vision properly at the 4 feet or so that I'm sat away from it when using a controller at my computer desk.

Yeah - I've used 1080p on a 27" monitor for ages at my desk. Both for PC gaming and PS4.

I've just upgraded my PC though so wanted something new (not 8 years old!).

Given those 850s are HOPEFULLY in stock soon I might just pick one up. Although I'm being rather impatient and wondering if I just try the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q as it's available now and hope that it works okay! :)

By the way - does the PS4 output to 4k on the 850 and downsample? Or is it upscaling from 1080 still?

Associate
Yeah - I've used 1080p on a 27" monitor for ages at my desk. Both for PC gaming and PS4.

I've just upgraded my PC though so wanted something new (not 8 years old!).

Given those 850s are HOPEFULLY in stock soon I might just pick one up. Although I'm being rather impatient and wondering if I just try the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q as it's available now and hope that it works okay! :)

By the way - does the PS4 output to 4k on the 850 and downsample? Or is it upscaling from 1080 still?

I'm not sure if it's game dependent or system-wide. When I fired up the first game after switching to the LG, it automatically switched to 4k mode. As I prefer higher framerates - and don't have a 4k screen anyway - I chose to set the output res to 1080p permanently in the system settings and let it upscale. The modern games also seem to kick-in the HDR10 mode of the monitor; although limited, I tend to leave that switched on for whatever improvements it might bring.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure if it's game dependent or system-wide. When I fired up the first game after switching to the LG, it automatically switched to 4k mode. As I prefer higher framerates - and don't have a 4k screen anyway - I chose to set the output res to 1080p permanently in the system settings and let it upscale. The modern games also seem to kick-in the HDR10 mode of the monitor; although limited, I tend to leave that switched on for whatever improvements it might bring.

Thanks for the insight. Will see if they're ever going to be in stock again!

Associate
OP
@nomadd - What kind of connector is it into the power brick for the 850?

I've ordered from outside UK/Ireland so likely it will come with a European plug to go into the brick. Want to make sure I have a UK version ready for when it arrives.

Cheers!

Associate
@nomadd - What kind of connector is it into the power brick for the 850?

I've ordered from outside UK/Ireland so likely it will come with a European plug to go into the brick. Want to make sure I have a UK version ready for when it arrives.

Cheers!

I grabbed one described as: "C5 Cloverleaf Mickey Mouse Power Supply Adapter Cord Mains Cable Lead UK Plug for Laptop."

Worked just fine. It's the type you get for most laptops.

Back
Top Bottom