Motherboard fried?

Associate
Hi all, so I am having this problem where my PC wont fully boot when the graphics card is inserted it only fully boots and displays when I use the onboard graphics with no graphics card inserted. This problem only occurred after mistakenly clicking the wrong update for my razer mouse so I know everything is already compatible. I have tried a numerous amount of things such as system restore, other graphics cards and even completely reinstalling windows with no success. I have a feeling the motherboard is the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System info:

System type: X64
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product: GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM: 16.0 GB

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G

My knowledge isn't great when it comes to PC building and problems. The PC was a pre-build from Vi-box around 6 years ago the only things I have changed is the water cooling and the graphics card. I have never built a PC but willing to try and rebuild/fix this one. I have a budget of £500.

Cheers
Dave

Soldato
first things to look at would be the pcie slot the gpu goes into check the pins and make sure they are all aligned, pay close attention to any scorch/burn marks too, regarding the gpu check the pcie connection along the bottom, making sure its clean and free of debris if any, check the card for any unusal marks along the gold connectors too.

if one or both have marks, scorch or burn marks, id say at this point i'd say the board is damaged, if you have used other gpu's and had no luck it suggests the board could very well be the issue.

depending on what your current setup is, you may be able to use a large portion of your existing pc bar the cpu, mobo and ram, if your psu is fairly new you could get a very nice upgrade, may i ask what model psu you have?

Soldato
first point of call should be a cmos reset and see if default settings for the board will bring it back to life. Take the little battery out for a few minutes and put it back in then turn your pc on with the gpu in.

Soldato
looking at your pics and the gpu and mainboard look good no signs of damage which is good, but still dosnt explain why the pc wont boot with any gpu's, you said you've tried a couple and got the same results.

this could narow it down to the psu, but only way to check would be to use a second unit and see what happens. Having a quick look and it looks like your psu is getting on in life i saw a date (year 2013), thats had a good run if its 7 years old.

as @Jay85 said try taking out the cmos batery for a couple of minutes, this will usally clear the bios settings and may allow the pc to boot with a gpu installed, if so happy days.

EDIT: the other gpu's you tested did they need to have power from the psu via pcie cables?

Last edited:
Associate
first point of call should be a cmos reset and see if default settings for the board will bring it back to life. Take the little battery out for a few minutes and put it back in then turn your pc on with the gpu in.

... and remember to have the PSU switched off at the plug when doing this !

Associate
OP
So I removed the cmos battery for about 30 seconds and still no luck with when the graphics card is in. Also I’m not sure if the other graphics cards had power because I took it to a repair guy and he just said he tried his own in it and it didn’t work just to eliminate the graphics card as the problem. Is there anything else I can try?

Soldato
So I removed the cmos battery for about 30 seconds and still no luck with when the graphics card is in. Also I’m not sure if the other graphics cards had power because I took it to a repair guy and he just said he tried his own in it and it didn’t work just to eliminate the graphics card as the problem. Is there anything else I can try?

i'd give the cmos battrey more time tbh, a good couple of minutes but if you have no joy after that i'd say your best bet would be to try another psu, if you can borrow one to test and if evertyyhtings ok then you'll know you need a new one.

Associate
OP
Ok so I waited about 10 minuets this time and it’s still not displaying but it’s making a louder noise now so it’s done something?

don’t think it worked same thing is happening. I will ask a friend if I can borrow his psu tomorrow to test.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so I waited about 10 minuets this time and it’s still not displaying but it’s making a louder noise now so it’s done something?

don’t think it worked same thing is happening. I will ask a friend if I can borrow his psu tomorrow to test.

you say a louder noise? that could be the mobo telling you what is wrong, kinda like a post readout on modern boards, there will be a series of beeps some long some short and you may have (eg 2 short beeps then 1 long beep) try the pc again but listen to what the beeps are and report back, i'll have a look and see what i can find

Associate
OP
There aren't any beeps with the g card in but when its not in and im using the onboard it has 2 short beeps when powering up. It sounds like the fans are going really fast when the g card is in

Soldato
There aren't any beeps with the g card in but when its not in and im using the onboard it has 2 short beeps when powering up. It sounds like the fans are going really fast when the g card is in

looking online and 2 short beeps for your mobo indicates normal boot behavoir, you say if the gpu goes in you get nothing and the fans are art 100% and no beeps, sounds to me the mobo could have a problem, are you able to find the bios jumper switch on the board and change it to the second bios?

looked online and your mobo has 2 bios's so it may be worth checking and if able to use the 2 bios and see if the pc works with a gpu installed

Soldato
my bad looking online and the board has a feature if the main bios fails the backup should take over, if this isnt happening when the gpu is in the board looks the likley culprit, i'd still give the psu a go and if that has no joy it could be upgrade time

Associate
OP
alright i'll give it a go tomorrow mate if not and I have to buy a new PC I was thinking of building it myself would you recommenced any parts from this PC that may be worth using in a new build or should I just get a fresh pre-build?

Soldato
as you said in your first post you would have around £500 for that you could easily get a second gen ryzen 5 2600, mobo, 16gb ram and cooler for around £375-£400ish factor in another 80ish for a 600w psu and you should be good to go, if your happy with your case, fans and drives you have no need to spend more, i'd say your gpu should be fine too but factor in that if it is broke (i'm confident its ok, but best to prepare in the unlikley case its not)

to be fair any upgrade you carry out will be a huge improvent over what you have so it'll be a win win

Back
Top Bottom