Advice for this Ryzen Build

Associate
Ready to take the plunge... Looking for a PC for day to day use and video editing (GoPro) The video editing isn't anything professional, it's just family videos. I'll just be using a basic video editing package, something like Filmora or Magix Movie (Still to be decided as I'll try a few out once I have a machine that can actually handle it!!)

I am on a budget... £550 max as I need to get a monitor as well. Would love to go for the Ryzen 5 3600, but I'm thinking of either the Ryzen 5 2600, or 7 2700 for the extra cores. Can always upgrade the CPU in 18 months.

I'm kinda set on the Tomahawk MB as it seems a good future proof MB. Ram I'd get a branded set of 2 x 8gb (3000 or 3200) of whatever is on offer at the time. SSD 512GB NVMe, again I'd go with a branded drive of whatever is on offer.

The things that I need to decide on are

1) CPU.... 2600 or 2700, for video editing will the extra cores be beneficial? An extra £20ish for the 2700 might be worth it. Really don't think I can stretch to the 3600 yet.
2) Case.... Just want something simple, nice cable management and fairly quiet. Not bothered about being tempered glass.
3) GPU.... So many too choose from and this is what I'm really stuck on. I'm not a gamer so don't want to spend a lot, maybe £130 max. The RX570/580 8GB cards seem to be on offer at the minute and range from £114+ at the minute. The main use of this will be for video editing, not gaming. Would like one that doesn't sound loud either!

I've put the following together as a start, can obviously be had cheaper if you shop about for around my budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £631.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Comments/Suggestions most welcome!

TIA

Soldato
For the AMD 2600 you can save £50-60 looking elsewhere for that one part, OcUK really need to look at their pricing on this. I'd use some of the saving on faster ram, 3600MHz c16/17 is better than what you have and only for £10-15 extra is worth it.

The rest of the system is ok, the 4GB rx570 will do moderate 1080p gaming and may help with video processing if your video processing package uses OpenCL.

Associate
OP
For the AMD 2600 you can save £50-60 looking elsewhere for that one part, OcUK really need to look at their pricing on this. I'd use some of the saving on faster ram, 3600MHz c16/17 is better than what you have and only for £10-15 extra is worth it.

The rest of the system is ok, the 4GB rx570 will do moderate 1080p gaming and may help with video processing if your video processing package uses OpenCL.

Yeah I'd get the CPU elsewhere, but can only quote from OC on here when creating a basket, was surprised at the price of them on OC!

Will I see a difference with the 3600MHz over 3200MHz RAM? I know Ryzen CPUs need at least 3000MHz for the best performance.

I'd probably plump for a 8GB RX570/580 as they can be had for around £114-130 elsewhere. Just read mixed reviews on them regarding excessive noise from the fans so unsure on what card to get.

Associate
OP
What about this as a final build?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory - Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage - ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card - MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Case - be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

£605 for everything. Slightly more than my budget, but prices seem to fluctuate a bit. Only thing I might change is go for the Ryzen 5 2600 which saves ~£30. Not really a gaming machine, but of a general workhorse machine.

Soldato
£30 for 2 extra cores, 33% extra on a 2600, get the 2700 especially if it's going to be a workhorse! If you are using it primarily for video editing the extra cores will come in handy and reduce rendering times accordingly.

The only thing I would look at is the cooler on the graphics card, if you are susceptible to noise then the armour version hasn't got the best cooler - that's why I went with the red dragon/red devil version, much quieter coolers. If you aren't bothered then no problem with it.

Associate
OP
£30 for 2 extra cores, 33% extra on a 2600, get the 2700 especially if it's going to be a workhorse! If you are using it primarily for video editing the extra cores will come in handy and reduce rendering times accordingly.

The only thing I would look at is the cooler on the graphics card, if you are susceptible to noise then the armour version hasn't got the best cooler - that's why I went with the red dragon/red devil version, much quieter coolers. If you aren't bothered then no problem with it.

Seems sensible to go with the 2700.

Ah right thanks, I did look at the Red Dragon cards, but so many people complain about the noise of the fans on them? Also found a thread on here recently about the noise? I do want a GPU that isn't too noisy.

Soldato
I have a Red Devil 580, not a 590, and the fan speed in 1080p games is fine - and I like my systems quiet! I'm sure you'll be fine but with distance selling regulations if you do build it and it has issues with the noise then you can return it for something else.

Associate
You could consider the Ryzen 5 1600AF...this is the 1600 on a 12nm lithography so not much different to 2600. I think it is available online for under £100. Just an option if trying to stick to budget although 2700 is probably more useful for video editing. So about £130 for 8 cores vs £100 for 6 cores. Value wise, they are the same.

As for Radeon GPU fan noise, these cards tend to benefit less from clock speed and more from undervolting. By spending an hour or so tweaking it, you will see reasonable decreases in voltage, power, temperatures and therefore fan noise. Same actually applies to Ryzen...the clock speed is less relevant than RAM speed and applying an undervolt.

So, don't look for an overclocked GPU and consider the 1600AF (make sure NOT the 1600AE which is the original 1600)

Back
Top Bottom