Wheel bearing squeel?

Soldato
Mrs mk 7 Fiesta, basically after driving some time, normally over 10-15 minutes or so, it'll start to squeel over time which gets louder and louder the longer its driven for. Pretty much a constant squeel.

She reckons its get worse if the wheels are turned, more to the left then right.

I took it out just now and gave it a good wang around the roads here, trying to get as much heat into the brakes as possible but nothing, car also brakes in a straight line, brakes feel fine, car otherwise drives fine. Admittedly only drove it for about 10 minutes.

I dont think its belts, I am familiar with belt squeel. I did the brakes myself a few months ago, applied copper grease in all the correct places its a job I have done several times before (including that car) and had no issues.

Could be a wheel bearing?

Unlike the brakes the heat would build up in a more linear way over time, explaining why even though I was trying to get as much heat into the brakes as I could I didnt get anything?

Wife is just ******* stupid?

Associate
I've come across a similar issue but on a Volvo where a rubber seal that sits in the hub on the back of the wheel bearing is too loose and rotates in the housing instead of remaining still causing a squealing sound. I've no idea if a MK7 Fiesta has such an arrangement but in the absence of anything else it's something to possibly research.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm thanks for the suggestions, looking through Google I can see at least 5 separate posts with people saying the same thing but no obvious answer.

One person said that it's possible to put the lower suspension arm bolt in the wrong way around and it'll contact the inside if the wheel, and whilst the lower suspension arms have been changed (by a mechanic) and the clearance is very hard to see without jacking the car right up, pretty sure they are not contacting as it would be hitting the inside disc and I can't see or feel any groves.

I've basically told her to ignore it, I mean the car drives completely fine but she's not happy.

Back
Top Bottom