Suffering from neighbors poorly installed chimney

Associate
ASBO's were abolished AFAIK UK wide (Scotland for sure).

Other way round matey: https://www.gov.uk/civil-injunctions-criminal-behaviour-orders

Essentially it's the same thing with a different name. The government has to employ swathes of idiots, so they make up things to do, like changing the names of things that are...exactly the same as before! I was threatened with an ASBO (well more precisely my Director was) for some trees on our land...absolute joke.

Associate
https://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/BFCMA-General-Guidance-10-12-12.pdf

Needs to be 600mm above the highest part of the roof within 2300mm. The question is whether the roof light counts which it probably does, so it should be a bit higher but not much. The flue should also be a minimum of 4500mm total length from the stove which it will also be close on.

We have a similar install on a pitch roof rear extension and it was the 4500mm we struggled on rather than the 600mm above the roof.

Just look on your local planing portal. All building regs for a house are listed on there so you can see if the extension has been signed off as well as the wood burner install.

Associate
I can't help you with the chimney / legal aspect of this, but on the air purifier I would recommend pretty much anything by Winix. I have this paticular one;

https://www.breathingspace.co.uk/air-purifiers-c1/winix-u300-air-purifier-with-smart-sensor-p192

I bought it primarailly for my hayfever allergies but since getting it have noticed i now sleep much better and I run it all year round. I get about a year out of a filter cartridge for it and they quite often go on offer where you get a second filter included in the price. I'm just coming up to the end of the life on that second filter now and although replacements aren't cheap for what it offers I think there prettty reasonable.

They have a sensor on for detecting the quality of the air and the light level and although they can ramp up to stupidly high levels if air quality is bad I find mine spends most of it's time on the lowest setting. They also have a super low setting that only activates when it's dark and drops the noise even more and I can sleep comfortably with it in the same room when it's in this mode.

If you don't go for this one and compare to others it's worth seeking out the CADR (clean air delivery rate) figures for any competitors as they normally list these for dust, smoke, and pollen sperately. The u300 for example is actually slightly better at pollen than it is at smoke or dust so you might be better looking for one with a higher smoke rating for your specific needs. But even with that in mind I'd be amazed if that didn't do the job.

Associate
No I meant drawings submitted for approval

The drawings aren't but why do you need them? You can just see from the list if the extension and woodburner install has been passed off.

If its marked as "Building Work Complete" then it complies with all the relevant regs, or they wouldn't have signed it off.

Soldato
if the building was regulated and built with the planning permission. that doesn't change the wind blow the fume to your house

Soldato
The drawings aren't but why do you need them? You can just see from the list if the extension and woodburner install has been passed off.

If its marked as "Building Work Complete" then it complies with all the relevant regs, or they wouldn't have signed it off.

True enough

Soldato
similar thread here with some interesting comments http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=14206
The building regs specify a minimium standard for chimneys which in most circumstances is OK however the caveat is that the minimum standard must work (para 2.8) and if it does not then the minimum standard does not comply!
As part of our evidence collection we purchased our own air monitor to record PM's 2.5 & 10 TVOC's CO2, temp and humidity and this has proved invaluable as part of our argument about the nuisance and gives us solid evidence of the often invisible health risks of the smoke from our neighbours chimney.

so complaining that installation engineer did no do correct site analysis was their strategy ..... after speaking to neighbour

wonder how much a monitor is

Associate
if the building was regulated and built with the planning permission. that doesn't change the wind blow the fume to your house

Unfortunately if its all to building regs I suspect there's not much you can do about it. A bit like people having bonfires, they can be annoying but people do have certain amount of rights to do what they want on their own property unless you can prove that its causing an unreasonable nuisance / is antisocial etc.

As above, proving its not to regulations is your best bet, especially if he's installed it himself rather than getting a HETAS engineer to install it.

Its more expensive to have it properly installed as HETAS approved engineers seem to charge a fortune but at least you've got some comeback if you run into problems later.

Soldato
Unfortunately if its all to building regs I suspect there's not much you can do about it. A bit like people having bonfires, they can be annoying but people do have certain amount of rights to do what they want on their own property unless you can prove that its causing an unreasonable nuisance / is antisocial etc.

yep pretty much.

its like living next door to a bungalow and the smoke from chimney blowing to your house all day. what can you do?

OP. maybe talk to the owner?

Associate
You can check with the council or HETAS if its been signed off. But I'm going to guess that it isnt, as the flue height isnt to regulation. Also looking at the install there probably are other items on inside that dont meet regulation.

Building, Part J (section 2.10) will require a 4.5m high flue (overall height, from top of stove to cowl) unless you do certain flue calcs and prove draught readings etc etc. So with that you will usually see 2m externally.
It looks like he has taken the height from a ridge, 600mm and used that.

Soldato
Can you borrow a carbon monoxide meter, any reading above ambient on that, and linked to this chimney, then surely this would be a open and shut case with the council.

Associate
https://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/BFCMA-General-Guidance-10-12-12.pdf

Needs to be 600mm above the highest part of the roof within 2300mm. The question is whether the roof light counts which it probably does, so it should be a bit higher but not much. The flue should also be a minimum of 4500mm total length from the stove which it will also be close on.

We have a similar install on a pitch roof rear extension and it was the 4500mm we struggled on rather than the 600mm above the roof.

Just look on your local planing portal. All building regs for a house are listed on there so you can see if the extension has been signed off as well as the wood burner install.

You can check with the council or HETAS if its been signed off. But I'm going to guess that it isnt, as the flue height isnt to regulation. Also looking at the install there probably are other items on inside that dont meet regulation.

Building, Part J (section 2.10) will require a 4.5m high flue (overall height, from top of stove to cowl) unless you do certain flue calcs and prove draught readings etc etc. So with that you will usually see 2m externally.
It looks like he has taken the height from a ridge, 600mm and used that.

Its like there's an echo in here :p

Back
Top Bottom