Kingpin: Reloaded

Soldato
I was about 9 when this came out so I didn't play it but I can always remember my uncle, the one who got me into PC gaming and gave me his old computer to play UT99, raving on about it. Sent him this video, he'll be excited

Associate
I hope they don't touch or censor the filthy language audio package they had ingame.

In every area you discovered, you got greeted by obscenities and mob slang from the enemies, taunting you or your mom, if you know what I mean.

Out of the huge audio pack the game had, 40% of the audio lines had "M*Fer" as a word, you do the thinking.

It would be a shame to be censored...

Caporegime
I remember owning it, never struck me as being particularly good.

I stated watching a playthrough on YouTube after seeing this thread and it just looks really dated and a bit crap

Since Quake II has had a successful RTX makeover maybe they should have made an RTX version.

Soldato
Be nice if the models were updated to high poly, i had the game tho never played it fully which i regret as im sure it was a good game.

Edit -

hmm, not really it seems, think ill pass if its not got got much effort into rdoing the assets quality just higher display res it seems and few meh enhancments dotted about.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-01-17-kingpin-life-of-crime-reloaded.html

From the screenshot comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought it upon release. It was ok, but quite frustrating, because the map was rather claustrophobic and at times it felt like you were traversing a maze. I got more enjoyment out of the soundtrack that came bundled with it.

Man of Honour
Interesting side note - they originally were going with a more open city design and had designed some basic streets, etc. with semi-working vehicle mechanics kind of a mix of GTA3 and Vampire: The Masquerade (in terms of gameplay/mission style not setting) in approach. But I guess it was too ambitious (in terms of what the engine could do and the amount of development resources it would take) and got scaled down to actually get a game out.

I was involved briefly with a big modding project for the game but it got ditched as some of the lead people wanted to (and went on to) create Urban Terror for Quake 3 and was sent a load of unreleased files for the game - not sure if I still have them though.

Back
Top Bottom