Repairer scratched my fridge

Man of Honour
When i got part of a ceiling plastered and they left with the entire ground floor of my house covered in plaster splashes and residue, yes I complained.

If an alloy wheel scratch required me to be on my knees with my nose against the wheel to see the scratch, no I wouldn't!

I think you underestimate how easy that would be to see imo. Even in the first pic it looks a little bent down there and the gap isn't uniform, it's certainly far from a clean fit like the bottom left. I think it would probably annoy me. That's the beauty of it all though, everybody is different.

TBH the alloy wheel analogy is probably a bad one. I've had fitters take a chunk of paint of of a wheel and tbh didn't really care. What does it matter when every panel is spent?

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to cry about it but I kinda sympathise with the op, I cant actually remember how much my fridge freezer was and I only bought it around a year ago but remember it being what I thought was expensive for what it was, I think it was somewhere in the region of 600 to 800 or something like that so it's a fair bit of cash. Anyway, within a week there is a little dent that I notice on the door, you can barely capture it with a camera if you tried and believe me I did 5 mins ago. One day I was grabbing a drink and I noticed this little dent from the sink about 4 feet away. Now literally every time I look at the fridge it's the very first thing that catches my eye.

It's like a monitor with a dead pixel, it's only really noticeable under certain conditions but once you notice it that's it you can never unsee it after that point.
you've bigger issues other than a ding on the fridge door if it catches your eye every time you look at the fridge! i jest btw :).... my father once relaid an entire wooden floor because one the slats he put down had a dent in it that he couldn't 'let go' He then relaid a large section of it a 3rd time after not being able to properly hide a panel pin so i do have a bit of first hand experience of you crazy folk :p

perhaps having 2 small children has somewhat neutered my ability to get annoyed with the little things in life - there's very little in our house that doesn't have a ding or 2 in it now thanks to kids so unless the ding or scratch was pretty large and evident not one **** would be given!
If an alloy wheel scratch required me to be on my knees with my nose against the wheel to see the scratch, no I wouldn't!
you don't go into the motors sub forum very often do you? it is populated with people who would most likely lay down in cold wet dog **** just so they could get annoyed at a scratch they will never see in their ordinary day to day interactions with their cars :p

Caporegime
Should have used plastic tool or put some tape on it before prying off.

it is very minor and annoying.

It's carelessness at best though.

Would I complain? Depends how expensive the fridge is and how new.

Man of Honour
you've bigger issues other than a ding on the fridge door if it catches your eye every time you look at the fridge! i jest btw :).... my father once relaid an entire wooden floor because one the slats he put down had a dent in it that he couldn't 'let go' He then relaid a large section of it a 3rd time after not being able to properly hide a panel pin so i do have a bit of first hand experience of you crazy folk :p

perhaps having 2 small children has somewhat neutered my ability to get annoyed with the little things in life - there's very little in our house that doesn't have a ding or 2 in it now thanks to kids so unless the ding or scratch was pretty large and evident not one **** would be given!

you don't go into the motors sub forum very often do you? it is populated with people who would most likely lay down in cold wet dog **** just so they could get annoyed at a scratch they will never see in their ordinary day to day interactions with their cars :p

Now your fathers levels are probably a bit beyond my levels of OCD. It's funny really as I have had tiny issues similar to this that I would point blank refuse to let go on principle, sometimes costing me more in time than it is really worth, yet much bigger more expensive issues that I can quite easily drop, depends on the day, who im dealing with etc etc.

Soldato
I wouldn't attempt any sort of repair on the stainless steel it's a nightmare to blend with the rest.

I can see how it'd be annoying but short of replacing the door what can they do.

Soldato
Now your fathers levels are probably a bit beyond my levels of OCD.
to be fair his levels of ocd are beyond most peoples! i swear if he was born today he would be medicated to the eyeballs!!
It's funny really as I have had tiny issues similar to this that I would point blank refuse to let go on principle, sometimes costing me more in time than it is really worth, yet much bigger more expensive issues that I can quite easily drop, depends on the day, who im dealing with etc etc.
yea in truth i can get onboard with that, if the repair dude had been an utter ahole i'd most likely have a different view point on the 'scratches' he's left behind.

Caporegime
I wouldn't attempt any sort of repair on the stainless steel it's a nightmare to blend with the rest.

I can see how it'd be annoying but short of replacing the door what can they do.

offer compensation. they must be insured against damage or build it into their costs.

the OP can then easily get a wrap or something to go around the edge of the LCD area as a sort of border as a cheap fix.

Associate
This place completely cracks me up. Some of the members here that are arguing about how ‘minor’ the damage is are usually the first seen complaining over their own minor issues.

Anyway, you guys do realise that you actually get pretty close to a fridge to open it right? You are not always stood five foot away from it, so I’d guess it would be noticeable and pretty annoying when it’s not your fault it’s been damaged.
I’ve done repairs like this for a company myself and in my opinion that is awful workmanship. He hasn’t used a Stanley blade that is clearly indentations from prying with a flat bladed screw driver. Electrical tape may of helped with the marking but depending on the pressure he used to cause the indentations then they would still of occurred. It was the wrong method of removing the part but also the unfortunate part of owning a product that’s been designed without taking the removal procedure in mind.
However, if it was me that carried out the repair and used the same method I would have stopped at the first mark to reassess and not carried out creating the others.

Soldato
I wouldn't be so concerned with the marks themselves, however we have a Samsung fridge at work with what looks like a similar finish, and it doesn't appear to actually be stainless steel, it's more like brushed steel with a lacquer over it; where the lacquer has been damaged it has some rather obvious rust spots. In the OP's position I'd be concerned with any corrosion resulting from the damaged area (and obviously if you didn't raise this straight after the repair, you wouldn't really have a leg to stand on a few weeks/months down the line)

Back
Top Bottom