• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G-Sync Compatible - No Low Framerate Compensation?

Soldato
Recently picked up an AG241QX with Freesync and loving the higher refresh rate and higher resolution. It's also on Nvidia's "G-Sync Compatible" list and was automatically enabled when I plugged it in. However I notice every time frame rate goes under 30 FPS, there's some sort of weird flickering effect. I tested this with the Nvidia Pendulum demo and it's fine 30 FPS and above but locking the demo anything lower than that starts the issue. Turning off G-Sync solves this so I assume it must be G-Sync not having any form of low framerate compensation with Freesync monitors. I tried looking around the Nvidia drivers but can't see anything that will help. Looking at AMD however, it seems that they offer this feature. Am I pretty much stuck then until Nvidia introduces something similar for their cards? This monitor was significantly cheaper than the G-Sync variant and I didn't want to be locked to Nvidia cards for upgrades hence why I went for it.

Soldato
OP
That's what I thought as well, I think the monitor does stay at 30Hz but it appears as if there's blank frames being squeezed in to keep it 30 FPS, causing the flickering effect.

I decided to keep G-Sync off for now, running a few games and benchmarks I don't notice that much of a difference with it on when the FPS is within the sync range, and it's still a huge step up from my old 60Hz monitor.

Permabanned
Recently picked up an AG241QX with Freesync and loving the higher refresh rate and higher resolution. It's also on Nvidia's "G-Sync Compatible" list and was automatically enabled when I plugged it in. However I notice every time frame rate goes under 30 FPS, there's some sort of weird flickering effect. I tested this with the Nvidia Pendulum demo and it's fine 30 FPS and above but locking the demo anything lower than that starts the issue. Turning off G-Sync solves this so I assume it must be G-Sync not having any form of low framerate compensation with Freesync monitors. I tried looking around the Nvidia drivers but can't see anything that will help. Looking at AMD however, it seems that they offer this feature. Am I pretty much stuck then until Nvidia introduces something similar for their cards? This monitor was significantly cheaper than the G-Sync variant and I didn't want to be locked to Nvidia cards for upgrades hence why I went for it.

I believe the others are right that you must maintain at least 30fps.

My monitor isn't compatible but what I noticed is that it is possible to get it to work flawlessly. Firstly, there was a difference between a GTX 10 series card and an RTX in that the RTX did everything much better. In particular, when it failed to work correctly the artifacts were much worse with the GTX 10 series. Secondly, the window type selection in the game mattered a lot. If set to default ( Fullscreen ), Freesync didnt work at all but if I selected Fullscreen Borderless Window, it worked perfectly. So just a thought here .... try different settings in the games.

If you are hitting less that 30fps you could consider DLSS if applicable, or of course just turning down some settings.

Back
Top Bottom