• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch Ryzen killer - the Core i9-10990XE (rumour)

Associate
Nothing more to add except this is hilarious. Intel are running around with their hair on fire, resorting to sad little games. I wish both my PCs were running Ryzen instead of just the one now.

Soldato
It would be funny if Intel suddenly did produce something ground breaking which took back their 90% market share. Then another 10 years of stagnation again with a complacent Intel.

Soldato
It would be funny if Intel suddenly did produce something ground breaking which took back their 90% market share. Then another 10 years of stagnation again with a complacent Intel.

Actually, there would be nothing funny at all about another 10 years of stagnation.

If Intel do release this at all, it will be in very small numbers. I would also be happy to wage a bet it will only be released to peeps like our own 8pack, for the sole purpose of getting the crown at HwBot. Even if it did get that crown, it wouldn't be for long because Threadripper will blow it away.

Associate
Actually, there would be nothing funny at all about another 10 years of stagnation.

If Intel do release this at all, it will be in very small numbers. I would also be happy to wage a bet it will only be released to peeps like our own 8pack, for the sole purpose of getting the crown at HwBot. Even if it did get that crown, it wouldn't be for long because Threadripper will blow it away.

I imagine this is what it's about, promo for intel, released for reviewers so it sits in on benchmarks. Good luck getting one if anybody feels so inclined.

Soldato
I imagine this is what it's about, promo for intel, released for reviewers so it sits in on benchmarks. Good luck getting one if anybody feels so inclined.

It was the same MO with Intel last year. Paper launch and demonstrate a (phase change cooled) chip just before AMD release Ryzen V4. Then compare it to Ryzen V3 (with the most favourable benchmark) then let Tom Petersen and Ryan Shrout run around with fingers in ears while screaming we are the best! with an autism level of over 9000.

Caporegime
Intel would have to use Ln2 to cool their 22 core chip just to match AMD 24 core at stock.

That's to say nothing about AMD's existing 32 core and soon to arrive 'three screen' 64 core.

This was pretty funny.....

EhIJFK0.jpg.png

Soldato
Intel can't compete with Ryzen using hardware because they are stuck in a dead end with their monolithic chip approach. I expect to see Intel use marketing (and some of it pretty dodgy) to try and convince people that their slower, less secure, more expensive, hotter, more power hungry chips are better than the Ryzens, Threadrippers and EPYCs that AMD is currently beating Intel around the head, body, and 'nads with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel can't compete with Ryzen using hardware because they are stuck in a dead end with their monolithic chip approach. I expect to see Intel use marketing (and some of it pretty dodgy) to try and convince people that their slower, less secure, more expensive, hotter, more power hungry chips are better that the Ryzens, Threadrippers and EPYCs that AMD is currently beating Intel around the head, body, and nads with.

Intel's Latest effort
so hot it'll cause Jupiter to nova!

Wbygjvm.jpg

Soldato
LOL:
https://youtu.be/066QH_RC6H8?t=761

Intel might be releasing a 56 core HEDT CPU with a 665W TDP!!

Not sure its possible even if they wanted to. 1) Could that many cores even fit and 2) How would you build a motherboard for it because you'd need a 1600w power supply just for the CPU if you try to overclock it (and lots of LN2). Unless you want to stick to 665w power limit - so the cores then won't go above their base clocks - and with the clock speed sitting so low it's going to keep losing to Threadripper over and over.

I really don't think Intel can make a HEDT CPU that can compete - anything they do on 14nm is going to have lower clock speed than the 280w 3990x and since AMD is ahead in IPC - the 3990x will dominate Intel's CPU.

Either way, AMD wins

Soldato
LOL:
https://youtu.be/066QH_RC6H8?t=761

Intel might be releasing a 56 core HEDT CPU with a 665W TDP!!

Taking it with a pinch of salt but honestly it's hilarious because I could actually see it happening. Intel are currently doing some crazy things just to try and keep up.

One thing I would love to see them do is a 10900k or something similar with a big block of EDRAM on it. It might make it actually worthwhile.

Soldato
665 Watt Intel TDP = about 1000 Watts real power consumption and the 280 Watt 3990X will still be faster.

msUHtFt.png
Not sure its possible even if they wanted to. 1) Could that many cores even fit and 2) How would you build a motherboard for it because you'd need a 1600w power supply just for the CPU if you try to overclock it (and lots of LN2). Unless you want to stick to 665w power limit - so the cores then won't go above their base clocks - and with the clock speed sitting so low it's going to keep losing to Threadripper over and over.

I really don't think Intel can make a HEDT CPU that can compete - anything they do on 14nm is going to have lower clock speed than the 280w 3990x and since AMD is ahead in IPC - the 3990x will dominate Intel's CPU.

Either way, AMD wins
Taking it with a pinch of salt but honestly it's hilarious because I could actually see it happening. Intel are currently doing some crazy things just to try and keep up.

One thing I would love to see them do is a 10900k or something similar with a big block of EDRAM on it. It might make it actually worthwhile.

This seems so eerily like what happened with the P4!! :p

Caporegime
That's cause Intel are in a similar position! I feel like a large cache on the chip, 256MB or 512MB if possible might actually help it enough to give it a bit of a fighting chance in some scenarios.

The 7702P / 3990X has a 256MB L3.

Compare that to the Xeon 8180 of 38.5MB, My Ryzen 3600 has a Cache of 32MB. a Cache the size of AMD's 7702P / 3990X on a monolithic die would balloon it from 700mm^2 to about 900mm^2.

Not happening... Intel need a whole new architecture.

Edit: PS: the Xeon 8180 is just one 28 core die, its two of them to make up the 56 core. its 1400mm^2 of wafer space just to make up one 56 core CPU. about 15 CPU's per wafer (at 700mm^2 per die) Compared to about 150 7702P's. 1200 74mm^2 dies.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7702P / 3990X has a 256MB L3.

Compare that to the Xeon 8180 of 38.5MB, My Ryzen 3600 has a Cache of 32MB. a Cache the size of AMD's 7702P / 3990X on a monolithic die would balloon it from 700mm^2 to about 900mm^2.

Not happening... Intel need a whole new architecture.

Edit: PS: the Xeon 8180 is just one 28 core die, its two of them to make up the 56 core. its 1400mm^2 of wafer space just to make up one 56 core CPU. about 15 CPU's per wafer.

Oh I agree, I was thinking more a separate added on EDRAM die of some significant size for caching benefits. I don't see it happening either but it's all I can come up with for a way for them to give a bit of a performance boost to their new chips.

Back
Top Bottom