Is there anything that helps prevent gunk build-up in a water block?

Associate
No matter what i try, over time i always get a build up of gunk in whatever CPU block i'm using. It's always been worse whenever i've used a premixed coolant. So this time i'm just using clear distilled water (Mayhems Ultra Pure H20), but i recently came across this video where you'll see at 4:30 and 7:03 that the coolant he's using actually cleaned his gunk-filled water blocks.

I don't have problems yet but is there anything that i can add to distilled water that might do the same as in that video? I know that i'll also need to add a biocide and i plan to use Mayhems Biocide Extreme.

Associate
OP
I have silver in my reservoir already, so guess i'll just stick with that and see how it goes. The main thing is that if there's a problem it's quite an effort to change the water because i don't have any way to drain it without taking tubing apart. I need a release valve or something. I have a tube at the bottom of my case which i can cut in half and then i'd need some kind of fitting that connects each tube but also has some way to drain it... Any ideas?

Soldato
I have silver in my reservoir already, so guess i'll just stick with that and see how it goes. The main thing is that if there's a problem it's quite an effort to change the water because i don't have any way to drain it without taking tubing apart. I need a release valve or something. I have a tube at the bottom of my case which i can cut in half and then i'd need some kind of fitting that connects each tube but also has some way to drain it... Any ideas?
I use a T piece
Then a ball valve usually
To drain just screw on bit of tube with a g 1/4 fitting on it then open ball valve
Though this time used quick disconnects as got 4 sets male and female off the auction site
They never sell well on there and guy auctioned instead of set price cost me 10% of what he paid for them and he hadn't even opened the bags. :D

Will try to post pics
But sometimes only get the link in here
Used step drill to do a hole through bottom of the case
Large silver bit is the disconnects
That's it in drain mode
Then you just twist and half comes off and automatically closes the valve
It's on a 90 degree rotary fitting
So not in use goes under case
When needed rotates out
Obviously I put case on castors as its large and heavy

View attachment rpuGKt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
@Mcnumpty2323 That looks nice and convenient, it's a shame i can't fit something like that but the T piece you mentioned is exactly what i need! I'll probably fit a ball valve to it. Thanks for the help :)

Soldato
@Mcnumpty2323 That looks nice and convenient, it's a shame i can't fit something like that but the T piece you mentioned is exactly what i need! I'll probably fit a ball valve to it. Thanks for the help :)
youre very welcome
i just got cheap ball valve when used one
about 5 quid
the fancy ones went up to 20 quid bit ridiculous
and just put a standard g 1/4 blank/stop on the end of ball valve as extra precaution
not likely ball valve will leak but you might accidently bump it open doing something in the case

oh and if possible do similar idea at top of case to fill
better than only filling the reservoir you can use res and fill port
gravity helps you
and when draining opening the fill port ensures no air locks too
so drains in seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Gunk is often down to plasticiser leaching from soft tubing. Rather than deposits from the fluid. It can get stains by coolant colours though.

What tubing are you using? For soft tubing I've seen Mayhems recommended for not leaching much.

Soldato
Been using the actual same tubing for about 8 years lol
Through many different builds have never renewed it
Primochill lrt
Really nice stuff
Only issue have noticed is it's very stiff compared to lot of other tubing
Never noticed any plastisizer leaching
Yeah I know must have spelled that wrong lol
But spell check had no idea
And am dyslexic so it's close as I can manage lol

Soldato
I had a nightmare with Primochill LRT tubing due to plasticiser leeching plus it's stupidly expensive for what is ultimately a throw away item.
Sorry to hear
Any particular colour you had problems with ?
That red lrt in my picture is still original stuff after 8 years
Never had an issue
And 8 years is hardly throw away item lol
It probably won't last another build though as been cut into ever decreasing lengths over those years lol

Associate
Never had the problem myself. Maybe luck. Previously used XSPC soft tubing, noticed slightly residues in the block's chambers, but that was after 2 years running (not advised).
Now using the much better Mayhem's, not the slight sign of problems.
The XSPC would-be tainted by whichever coolant I was using, very fast.

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear
Any particular colour you had problems with ?
That red lrt in my picture is still original stuff after 8 years
Never had an issue
And 8 years is hardly throw away item lol
It probably won't last another build though as been cut into ever decreasing lengths over those years lol

Red and clear, both leeched. Tubing is classed as a throwaway item.

Back
Top Bottom