Memory timings using DOCP

Soldato
Hi all

I have this memory kit:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g360c7k-my-104-pa.html

On an ASUS X470-i with a 3700x. I have enabled DOCP in the BIOS but the timings are not what they should be.

CL is showing as 18 instead of 17 (in the BIOS it shows as 17) and tRC is 84 but should be 68. I am fully aware I can change these settings myself in the BIOS but since CAS IS already set to 17 in the BIOS but showing 18 in Windows, any idea what is going on here? Setting to 16 (1.35v) causes a non-POST and I have to clear CMOS.

pvsmem.png

Showing the SPD timings:

pvsmem2.png

Soldato
If gear down mode is enabled this means only an even CL can be used. you could try disabling it but then it might not be stable, alternatively you could try setting a CL of 16 with GDM mode on.

Associate
I'm in a similar boat. I see 2 options here due to how the motherboards work, well mine anyway. You cannot have a command rate of 1T while gear mode is disabled. My PC barely boots into Windows before erroring

You either run gearmode off and have your specified timings with 2T as command rate OR You run gearmode on with 1+ CAS but 1T

If anyone can do some game benchmarks to see what's faster that would be great.

Soldato
I'm in a similar boat. I see 2 options here due to how the motherboards work, well mine anyway. You cannot have a command rate of 1T while gear mode is disabled. My PC barely boots into Windows before erroring

You either run gearmode off and have your specified timings with 2T as command rate OR You run gearmode on with 1+ CAS but 1T

If anyone can do some game benchmarks to see what's faster that would be great.

The best option would be leaving gdm on and setting cas at -1, may need to up the voltage a bit to get it stable.

Associate
The best option would be leaving gdm on and setting cas at -1, may need to up the voltage a bit to get it stable.

The thing is the memory I got was in the QVL and ran at CAS 15 but it didn't show CR so I am unsure if they somehow got 1T non GDM at CAS 15 or if they never checked GDM was on and it was 16.

I posted this in another thread but AMD did some testing and if you have faith in vendor benchmarks they show little difference, about 1-3% between 1T GDM off vs on.

The thing is when I'm going for high frame rates, I should just leave GDM on to get 1T then?

Soldato
The thing is the memory I got was in the QVL and ran at CAS 15 but it didn't show CR so I am unsure if they somehow got 1T non GDM at CAS 15 or if they never checked GDM was on and it was 16.

The thing is when I'm going for high frame rates, I should just leave GDM on to get 1T then?

It was probably always 16 as gdm defaults as on in ryzen systems where ram is over something like 2666.

Gdm off at the Same timings will be slighty better, that said if gdm on means you can tighten timings further then it can be better than loser timings with gdm off.

You should download aida 64 and run the latency benchmark as latency is most important for games and this will help you see how the changes you make in timings are affecting latency.

Back
Top Bottom