Vauxhall Corsa - What's the 1.2L petrol like?

Soldato
OP
82bhp 1.25 or 96bhp 1.4.
64bhp 1.25 is one to avoid.

My wife currently has the 1.4 fiesta and it's plenty quick enough. I've also driven the previous model fiesta with a 1.25 75bhp version and that was still "nippy" enough but I would personally want anything slower.
Well a quote for a 1.4 (96hp) Fiesta is about the same as the Corsa (eg: £1100). Maybe a touch more.

But the money gets a car that's 1-2yrs older probably...

Associate
If it's a first car he might not have very long anyway i'd just be inclined to get the 1.2. Build a years ncb. It might be dog slow, but if that means it doesn't encourage driving like a maniac, that's good.

The Clio 900cc turbo might be worth a look. Had that engine in Captur for 2 years and was great. Not super economical, but had character and was more punchy at low rev's.

Soldato
Always preferred the Clio's over the other alternatives.

The cash your looking to splash will get you into Mk3 Ph2, the 1.2 16v 75bhp is pretty much the same 1.2 that was in my old mk2 clio when I first passed my test, it was a fun car to drive, the engine was quite pokey for what it is, Will be a little slower in the Mk3 just cause it's put some weight on over the Mk2, There's also the option of the 1.2 TCE 100bhp (Turbo) engine which i'd imagine will be plenty for new starter, but also insurance depending.

Another alternative, Renault Twingo 1.2 16v 75bhp or the 1.2 TCE 100, Pretty much an updated Mk2 clio, They weigh less than a ton so not that much weight for the engines to lug around.

Something like this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...early New&onesearchad=New&make=RENAULT&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910113206334?postcode=cf104uw&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2011&aggregatedTrim=GT&sort=relevance&model=TWINGO&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=RENAULT&maximum-mileage=70000&page=1

If the cars are looked after and maintained properly like any other car, you can ignore the usual stereotyping for french cars, My old clio lasted me 6 years and 120k we got rid for a new car. Also these cars cost peanuts to run/maintain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

The cash your looking to splash will get you into Mk3 Ph2, the 1.2 16v 75bhp is pretty much the same 1.2 that was in my old mk2 clio when I first passed my test, it was a fun car to drive, the engine was quite pokey for what it is, Will be a little slower in the Mk3 just cause it's put some weight on over the Mk2, There's also the option of the 1.2 TCE 100bhp (Turbo) engine which i'd imagine will be plenty for new starter, but also insurance depending.

Another alternative, Renault Twingo 1.2 16v 75bhp or the 1.2 TCE 100, Pretty much an updated Mk2 clio, They weigh less than a ton so not that much weight for the engines to lug around.

Something like this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...early New&onesearchad=New&make=RENAULT&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910113206334?postcode=cf104uw&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2011&aggregatedTrim=GT&sort=relevance&model=TWINGO&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=RENAULT&maximum-mileage=70000&page=1

If the cars are looked after and maintained properly like any other car, you can ignore the usual stereotyping for french cars, My old clio lasted me 6 years and 120k we got rid for a new car. Also these cars cost peanuts to run/maintain.
I've looked at Clios, and could literally only find one that seemed OK in the price range...? Meanwhile there's a hundred Clios in that range.

ps: He's 6"4' so height is a consideration too :)

Soldato
Dog slow can also be dangerous though, especially when trying to pull out of junctions.
A 1.2 corsa is in no way going to be dangerous pulling out of a junction it’s not a tractor or a traction engine lol.

OP I’d go and drive the corsa options and the fiesta option and see which you like best then buy on condition. Neither car is going to blow your mind but both will do the job fine!

Soldato
OP

The cash your looking to splash will get you into Mk3 Ph2, the 1.2 16v 75bhp is pretty much the same 1.2 that was in my old mk2 clio when I first passed my test, it was a fun car to drive, the engine was quite pokey for what it is...
Just looked again. The reason I found so few Clios was I was not looking at their 1.2 75bhp version, as the reviews for it were seemingly bad. ie: A very old outdated engine etc...

Soldato
I would try insurance quotes on a ford focus or vauxhall astra. If its anything like when I passed in 2008, it was cheaper for me to have a 1.6 petrol focus than a 1l corsa or 1.2 fiesta.

I'm glad I did too as it was a much nicer car to learn to drive in.

Soldato
OP
I would try insurance quotes on a ford focus or vauxhall astra. If its anything like when I passed in 2008, it was cheaper for me to have a 1.6 petrol focus than a 1l corsa or 1.2 fiesta.

I'm glad I did too as it was a much nicer car to learn to drive in.
Just tried it. 1.6L Focus (99hp) is a good couple of hundred pounds+ more than a Corsa (1.4L 99hp)

Soldato
Insurance groups don't always mean a great deal. I've gone from a car in group 19 to one in Group 10 and my insurance went up by 50% with no other changes. Go figure!

Before anyone starts keyboard warrioring like a smartarse ... I spent a good couple of weeks looking and got tens of quotes.

Associate
I'd just get whatever is cheapest and is rated highest for safety, should the worse happen. It's not a car he's going to have for years. I wouldn't worry about age/mileage too much either to be honest.

He's a first time driver, his chances of crashing it/denting it/scraping it are high, so the less you spend on the car is win win regardless of what ends up happening.

In your shoes I'd be looking at MK6 or MK7 1.25 Fiesta, reliable, cheap, job done :D

Soldato
My Mrs has that 1.4 petrol fiesta naturally aspirated 96bhp I think, 2009, it's about 90k and it's been a great car.

Plenty quick enough for a first car, hell I'd find it acceptable as an experienced driver in a rural area.

One of the 1.25's is turbo charged I think..... I'd possibly avoid that just simply due to the extra moving parts reliability of a turbo Vs a simpler naturally aspirated engine.

Soldato
1.2 Corsa is fine. They have issues sure but so do other cars. As a first car it'll do just fine. Just make sure you hear it start up from cold, make sure the chain doesn't rattle for a few seconds and the oil pressure light goes straight out.

Soldato
Do not get the 1.25 non-turbo MK7 Fiesta, the engine is horrifically underpowered for the weight of the car. Had one as a courtesy car whilst my Mondeo was in for a part replaced under warranty & you literally have to rag the nuts off it just to keep up with traffic, it's an utterly painful car to drive. You should not need to redline a car through the gears just to get down a short motorway slip road, stick 2 passengers in it and this is exactly what you need to do or you are going to be joining the motorway at 50 mph with cars flying right up your ass.

And pulling into an NSL road with a bit of traffic on it, that rev limiter gets used!

Back
Top Bottom