I have an old pc desperate for an upgrade

Associate
I bought a custom made pc back in 2013 and its still running good but it cant handle any new gen games and often freezes or blue screens after an hour of run time. Could I get some advice on upgrading? I have no idea what I'm doing but I cant just buy a new pc.

The display adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

The processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40Hz

If I need to list any other specs please let me know.

Thanks

Caporegime
Not to nit pick but its 7 years old, not 13.

Just get a decent b450 board and a 2000 series ryzen if you want cheap, or a x570 and a 3000 series ryzen if you want bleeding edge.

at least DDR4 3200 in either case, 3000 series will take faster RAM if you want to spend a bit more.

Soldato
If you only have 150 to spend then a better gpu would be best bang for buck, either get a new rx580/590 or look for a gtx 1070 on the used market.

Getting a newer PC in the future when when you got the cash available is ideal but in the short term a better GPU should tide you over and give you a much better gaming experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £159.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

And push the budget up to include a 500GB SSD as well. A new Windows install on a new drive (which is faster at the same time) might even sort out the issues you are experiencing. If they don't, ask here for help, and know that the graphics card and SSD can go into a new build, if need be, so the upgrades won't be wasted.

Soldato
We need to know what PSU you have as mentioned by @pastymuncher -- I'd also say that a 4GB RX580 for £150 is a poor buy right now.

You can get an RX590 with 8GB of VRAM for a little bit more, although it is worth shopping around. I personally managed to pick up an 8GB RX580 for £120 4-5 months ago, I wouldn't jump the gun on the above recommendation.

While the 4670 is getting a little long in the tooth, it does still have room for a GPU upgrade and something along the lines of an RX580 or RX590 would suit it well until it's possible to save enough for CPU/RAM/Mobo upgrade, which will come to around the £200-300 mark depending on what you go for. A 1600 AF or 2600 can be had for £80-90, a decent B450 for 70-90, 16GB of 3000/3200 RAM for £50-60, which is what I'd be looking at as a minimum for a platform update.

Soldato
i would start with a 240/250 gb SSD install fresh windows and make sure everything is ok from there. If you where happy playing the games at current settings and the SSD gives you stable version of windows you might need to upgrade anything else.. an SSD will make that PC "Appear" blisteringly fast compared to loading from an HDD

Associate
OP
Im looking at a "MODEL NO: FSP300-60GHS" on the psu power outlet? A decent fps boost and system stability (no freezing - faster response time/game loading/downloads) is all I'm really hoping for, I'll take some notes and come to conclusion. Thanks

Soldato
Given what you have at hand it might be an idea to save some cash and do a full update when you can.

Was my assumption that you're running a small form factor correct? There are some GPU options that could work even on a 300W PSU but without knowing what your case is like it would be silly to suggest anything.

If you're not sure, would it be possible for you to take a picture of your rig, especially with the side of the case off?

Soldato
but it cant handle any new gen games and often freezes or blue screens after an hour of run time.

This points to deeper issues like overheating.

Anyway, the drop-in replacement for your GPU will be the GTX 1650 Super. This will give you a huge boost - it will be as good or better than the 780 Ti - the top of the range of your current generation (and the card on which I first started gaming at 4K) and is on a par with the RX 590 mentioned upthread. Check with OCUK when ordering as some of them (e.g. the Asus) require additional power and others do not. You want one of the latter.

Back
Top Bottom