Alistair Stewart leaves ITV

Associate
Thing is it seems like there wasn't even any kind of big uproar over it at first, usually someone says something, social media gets mad, then they get fired or leave.

This seems to have been a case of someone says something, barely anyone notices or cares, someone snitches to ITV, he leaves, media report story, people get mad.

I'm not really seeing many people claiming he's racist either, the general anger seems to be that it's a lot of fuss over nothing, especially as he's used the same quote previously towards white people on twitter.

Soldato
Drawing a parallel with the similar Danny Baker incident, I think that Baker was naive at best in what he did (associated Sussex's baby with a chimpanzee photo) and potentially worse - should have known far better. In this instance, I think that Stewart's content was reasonable, given that he had no idea that the originator was black and that it was pretty clear that the reference in his quote was not aligned to race. On this occasion it seems a shame to walk - I would have liked to have seen him stay and fight this one but I can understand why there's no appetite to do so after a distinguished 40 year career and 67 years old.

Man of Honour
Humans are apes. This particular human has behaved like an angry ape, raging and flinging (metaphorical in this case) poop around. Then they've made it worse by being racist about it. If they had any decency, they would have apologised profusely to Alistair Stewart for lying about him and attacking him this way.

Soldato
Alastair Stewart said he had stepped down after an 'error of judgement' - what's the problem :confused:

As stated by @robfosters this was clearly under duress.

He didn't make an error of judgement, he was attacked by a wild mob for no good reason other than quoting something they were too ignorant to understand, or chose to ignore because 'white man bad'. It had nothing to do with race on his behalf, he'd used the same quote in response to white people, and even if he hadn't the point would stand.

It's a disgrace.

Caporegime
Shakespeare is ****, that's what I'm getting from this.

Something about his spleen being mortal? Yeah it's all gobbledegook to me.

Impressive that he managed to understand it at all, let alone be offended by some racist interpretation.

(I don't think he was being racist, just pretentious).

Soldato
I'm not a big fan of Alistair Stewart. But this white-knighting infantilization of minority groups is becoming annoying, especially when there is real discrimination and injustice around.

It's almost as bad as this story I was reading;

The Masked Singer: ITV apologises for Natalie Cole error
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51263176

ITV has apologised after Jonathan Ross suggested a singer who died five years ago could be one of the celebrities on The Masked Singer.

The world is going stupid. The media have promoted stupidity for at least the last 20+ years. These days we have drone-like behaviour by many people who go along with it for fear of losing their jobs.

It's supposed to be a more tolerant society these days :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Yep, complete over reaction and he shouldn't have lost his job.

Not sure why people are blaming the "authoritarian left" for this though. There's doesn't seem to have been outrage calling for his sacking, ITV just appear to have done it off their own back.

Soldato
Not sure why people are blaming the "authoritarian left" for this though. There's doesn't seem to have been outrage calling for his sacking, ITV just appear to have done it off their own back.

Seriously?

Do you think this would have ever happened were it not for the authoritarian left?

Soldato
Who is this authoritarian left you speak of that wields such power?

We have right wing government and a predominantly right wing lead media in the UK.

Beyond a few mad head YouTube/internet whacko's and overly excitable students there is no one taking any notice of this, even the BBC seem confused.

Caporegime
I mean if he'd never used it before then it would leave a potential question I guess just due to the possible link with a racial trope... but the fact that he's used the same quote in reference to another person who wasn't black and who he thought had said something stupid makes it pretty apparent that it's a quote he's using because he thinks the person is stupid rather than because of their race.

Back
Top Bottom