Tracking flights over my house - is there a way to make a log?

Man of Honour
I can only go by what I've seen on YouTube but I've got a couple of pilots in my subscriptions and they have a ton of information about the airports and fields they are flying into including approaches for noise considerations, etc. and would not be significantly deviating from instructions, especially not a commercial pilot whose livelihood depends on it. Any significant deviations without authorisation they get quickly pulled up on and having to justify with a very real chance of getting their license suspended. So I highly doubt they are flying far enough out of restrictions it makes a material difference to noise.

Here is a how it tends to play out heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

Caporegime
I can only go by what I've seen on YouTube but I've got a couple of pilots in my subscriptions and they have a ton of information about the airports and fields they are flying into including approaches for noise considerations, etc. and would not be significantly deviating from instructions, especially not a commercial pilot whose livelihood depends on it. Any significant deviations without authorisation they get quickly pulled up on and having to justify with a very real chance of getting their license suspended. So I highly doubt they are flying far enough out of restrictions it makes a material difference to noise.

Here is a how it tends to play out heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

Thanks for confirming my basic common sense assumption made above.

I can't believe people think that they would be allowed to do whatever they want with a commercial plane.

Associate
Flight path yes, but apparently there is fuel to be saved at lower altitude we have been told and so boundaries are pushed.
With jets, their fuel efficiency increases with altitude due, amongst other factors, to the ambient air being colder.
Civilian aircraft are seriously controlled by economics. Pilots have almost non-existent discretion on their flight profiles. If they appear to be low it could be than planes are bigger than of yore ( a perspective matter) or there are other aviation legalities involved, like other traffic transiting above, or sensitive areas on the ground.
Airline economics were the cause for the old joke " If you want to make a small fortune with an airline, start with a large fortune".

Soldato
Damn! I would love planes to fly over my house at low altitude! I would literally launch myself to the window every time I saw one.

Definitely this. I would love to live near the airport, i'd be out everyday watching the planes land / take off. I would love to own the Airport Hotel right at the bottom of the runway at Manchester Airport, i spent many a day watching planes there!

Associate
Our house is just over 11 miles from Manchester Airport right under the flight path on final approach - have spent the odd afternoon in summer sat in garden with the flight radar app. on.

Permabanned
Definitely this. I would love to live near the airport, i'd be out everyday watching the planes land / take off. I would love to own the Airport Hotel right at the bottom of the runway at Manchester Airport, i spent many a day watching planes there!

I don't know why anyone would hate it, I mean having planes go past your house at low altitude is breath taking. There is one close to me but not over head, I can see them out the window about half a mile away coming into newcastle airport.

Soldato
I see the occasional a380 on descent and they look incredibly low but that's just because they are massive :p

Awesome to see though

Back
Top Bottom