Really slow Ethernet speed?

Associate
OP
which version of windows 10 have you got installed, as i mentioned earlier the most recent build is v1909

Pretty sure it’s the latest version as I updated it once I was all set up.

Originally I did install 24.0.0.11 over whatever was there, but after troubleshooting for a while I deleted everything and tried to reinstall the newer version. But nothing. Still showing the older version.

Associate
OP
Have you tried a differnt network cable? A different port on your router?

Yup. Tried new router, new cable, performed a dynamic line management reset on the off chance something might be capping it, plugged it back into my PS4 which is getting 34MBps. I’ve also reinstalled any drivers I had installed since first boot up. Still slower than dial-up :mad:. Took all of today just to download CSGO!

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure it’s the latest version as I updated it once I was all set up.

Originally I did install 24.0.0.11 over whatever was there, but after troubleshooting for a while I deleted everything and tried to reinstall the newer version. But nothing. Still showing the older version.

if the old version is being installed then the only thing i can sugest is to reset the pc, head into settings and find recovery, here find reset pc and click get started, this will remove moost settings and re-install windows, you have a option to save persoanl files too, regarding your csgo download, if you have an external drive may be worth copying it over to save redownloading it.

if anyone else has a idea why the old version is being installed over the updated driver thats avalible, and a fix to make the new one install only, please share to avoid resetting the pc.

@SotS can you open your case, and post a picture of your board via imgur, just add the link to your next post

Associate
What router are you using? Have you changed any settings in it ?

When in your router have you checked who's connected to it.

One programme is use is driver booster from iobit.com it's free and you can uninstall when done (just make sure you read what its installing so you dont get bloatware)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
can you open your case, and post a picture of your board via imgur, just add the link to your next post

Not in at the moment but I’ll try post one later.

What router are you using? Have you changed any settings in it ?
When in your router have you checked who's connected to it.

Just a standard BT smart hub. Wireless access is turned off so it can only be used for Ethernet as I only use it for my PS4/PC.

Associate
OP
Well, getting full speed on your console rules out a cable issue. It doesnt quite rule out a router issue but I dont believe it's the router.

Have you tried droydens suggestion of a live cd yet?

Not yet, no. I’m not too sure how to do it tbh.

Associate
OP
Download driver booster from iobit.com it should help.

Have you tried factory restore on the hub.

Do you have the socket with built in adsl filter have seperate ones?

I’ll give that driver booster a go when I get home.

I’ve got a SSFP socket so the filter is built in, but I’ve tried a standard filter as well.

Associate
OP
**Update for anyone who cares**

Turns out it was something to do with my broadband after all. I spoke with a colleague who deals with the telephone exchange equipment who said his friend had a similar problem when he plugged in a PC for the first time using Ethernet. Kind of unexplainable how or what happens, just an anomaly I guess.

Changed some stuff around and put my broadband on new exchange equipment and my speeds are now the max I can get (still rubbish though).

The only thing still annoying me though is my driver, not that I care now I've got descent speeds. I installed that driver booster and even that installs an older version than what is stated on the MSI website.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated. At least ill be able to properly troubleshoot my ethernet connection should anything go wrong in the future.

Associate
Tbh you should not need to download drivers, W10 is very good at that job. The fact that it works at all means a driver is installed and working.

Installed, yes. Working, possibly. Working right? I'd not be confident of that ;) I ALWAYS install the manufacturers driver, they make the stuff after all, MS tends to be "one shoe fits all" and doesn't always get it right, from experience ;)

Back
Top Bottom