• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
It's weird that people have this idea that a console must be in the living room connected to a TV, and a PC must be on a desk connected to a monitor... there's a lot of cross-over these days. People using their PC with a TV; people using a console with a monitor. Etc, etc.
No it's not "weird", it's based on overwhelmingly common usage patters. Proportionally speaking, very few people use their PC with a TV vs on a desk with a monitor, and very few people use a console on a desk with a monitor vs with a TV.

It's not rocket science.

Soldato
Why "replace"? I have a PC and a PS4 connected just fine to the same monitor... both are on my desk.

Even use the same USB sound card + headphones for both of them.

It's weird that people have this idea that a console must be in the living room connected to a TV, and a PC must be on a desk connected to a monitor... there's a lot of cross-over these days. People using their PC with a TV; people using a console with a monitor. Etc, etc.

That's how it's been for me for the past few years now. My PC, Consoles and TV go together everywhere - and is all connected up.

No it's not "weird", it's based on overwhelmingly common usage patters. Proportionally speaking, very few people use their PC with a TV vs on a desk with a monitor, and very few people use a console on a desk with a monitor vs with a TV.

It's not rocket science.

I doubt many people use a TV on their desk, but what is more common is what I do - connecting the PC to the TV while the TV is on a entertainment unit. I game on my TV exactly like I would on a console - sitting on a couch in front of a big TV, but my PC happens to run most of the games now. I still use my monitor and desk for actual work, but there is no better entertainment than sitting on a couch in front of a massive screen and surround sound system.

Caporegime
I doubt many people use a TV on their desk - what is more common is what I do - connecting the PC to the TV while the TV is on a entertainment unit. I game on my TV exactly like I would on a console - sitting on a couch in front of a big TV.

I didn't mean people using a TV on a desk, obviously that is rarely practical. However, gaming on a PC in your living room is generally horribly un-ergonomic anhd uncomfortable to the point of not being recommended unless you are using a gamepad.

Gaming on a mouse and keyboard requires good ergonomics and having those on your lap or being bent over a coffee table on a sofa is not recommended unless you want problems long-term.

Soldato
Project cars 2 is on the TV for me. Probably would with flight sim as well when that comes out later this year. RDR2 is just on the computer screen but I play GTA5 on either so I should try RDR2 on there as well.

FPS or a strategy game like civilization I would use the monitor.

Associate
That's how it's been for me for the past few years now. My PC, Consoles and TV go together everywhere - and is all connected up.

I doubt many people use a TV on their desk, but what is more common is what I do - connecting the PC to the TV while the TV is on a entertainment unit. I game on my TV exactly like I would on a console - sitting on a couch in front of a big TV, but my PC happens to run most of the games now. I still use my monitor and desk for actual work, but there is no better entertainment than sitting on a couch in front of a massive screen and surround sound system.

Until ur partner wants to watch Strictly Come Dancing ;)

Soldato
Project cars 2 is on the TV for me. Probably would with flight sim as well when that comes out later this year. RDR2 is just on the computer screen but I play GTA5 on either so I should try RDR2 on there as well.

FS2020 is very exciting to me. I'm going to get a new GPU for it but cant decide to get a big 4K monitor or an UW1440p...

Soldato
I tell you what I have found out by connecting my PC to my 4K TV is that the vastly superior scalers in them makes playing games at 1080p & 1440p look just as good as native 4K on my 27in PC monitor.

I have just played through Metro Exodus with all settings on Ultra (inc RTX) at 1080p 60fps and it looked incredible & I was a lot more comfortable at the same time :) If Cyberpunk 2077 is the same, my next GPU upgrade is further away than I thought :)

Soldato

I prefer to play fps style, fast paced games on my monitor and most other RPG, racing, casual style games on my 4k tv.

RDR2 especially looks incredible on the OLED and really adds to the immersion and slow mellow nature of the game. It doesn't look half as good on my monitor, looks a bit blurred and washed out in comparison.

Only downside is I’m not a fan of controllers especially for games that require a lot of aiming and such. Which is one reason I still use my monitor for all fps based games which I still vastly prefer with K+M.

Mobster
Soldato

The same people that think that's weird probably also think boys can be girls and girls can be boys. A console should be in the living room as its home entertainment. A PC, well its a Personal Computer and monitor is designed to work with the PC only hence no tv card etc. There's nothing weird about that in the slightest, its actually how it should be.

Caporegime
The same people that think that's weird probably also think boys can be girls and girls can be boys. A console should be in the living room as its home entertainment. A PC, well its a Personal Computer and monitor is designed to work with the PC only hence no tv card etc. There's nothing weird about that in the slightest, its actually how it should be.
Well, there is no rule at all stating PC's shouldn't be in a living room... indeed it's becoming more common though still because a 65" 4k TV is so much cheaper than a large high resolution monitor. When HDMI 2.1 hits en masse, TV's will arguably be better value and performance than most monitors. It still however won't make the ergonomics of using a keyboard and mouse in a living room any better, though gamepads will obviously work great.

In future I will consider running a very long HDMI cable from my PC in my bedroom to my TV in my living room so that I can game and view content there without having the PC physically in the room.

Soldato
:confused: Doesn't a home consist of more than the living room?

Soldato

Strong contender for the weirdest post of 2020 already.

Mobster
Soldato
Well, there is no rule at all stating PC's shouldn't be in a living room... indeed it's becoming more common though still because a 65" 4k TV is so much cheaper than a large high resolution monitor. When HDMI 2.1 hits en masse, TV's will arguably be better value and performance than most monitors. It still however won't make the ergonomics of using a keyboard and mouse in a living room any better, though gamepads will obviously work great.

In future I will consider running a very long HDMI cable from my PC in my bedroom to my TV in my living room so that I can game and view content there without having the PC physically in the room.

I wouldn't say its becoming common, it happens yes, common, absolutely no. Now just because it happens doesnt mean you make a rule for it, you dont make rules for the exceptions, you make exceptions for the rule.

Hi res monitors with 2.1 and all that jazz will still be a tiny minority. You are of course allowed to do what you want with your home.

bru

bru

Soldato
Strong contender for the weirdest post of 2020 already.
Why is it weird, Ok the boy and girls part is a bit is a bit strange I give you that. ;) But the PC being personal computer is a fact as that is what the 'P' in PC stands for. As for the console being a home entertainment device, well duh, it is, hence the ability to run lots of APP's rather than just games.

Caporegime
I wouldn't say its becoming common, it happens yes, common, absolutely no. Now just because it happens doesnt mean you make a rule for it, you dont make rules for the exceptions, you make exceptions for the rule.
I said "more common"... and it was factually correct. Modern TV's make good gaming monitors and we are seeing an increase in PC gaming in living rooms. With HDMI 2.1 that will only increase.

Boys are boys and girls are girls, are you struggling with your woke concept to the contrary ?
dont give a ****, its still factually correct.

English doesn't seem to be your strong point.

Back
Top Bottom