root canal or extraction

Man of Honour
[..] In terms of pain it's like a flu jab so not very I think. psychologically you have a needle up to your face so things are unnecessarily amplified.

I think that's the key point. There are strong primitive instincts against piercing wounds and all the more so in your mouth. Intellect says "It's OK, just a minor thing being done for a very good reason", instinct says "GET IT AWAY GET IT AWAY".

Permabanned
I can think of several things that are as much or more in your personal space than dentistry. Prostate checking, smear testing, a visit to the clap clinic, just off the top of my head. More so when there are people learning the speciality, which is often the case. "Do you mind if they observe?" Well yes, but they have to learn so let them watch.

Having someone's finger up my arse is uncomfortable. But they're not eyeballing me and right in my face when they do it (unless they buy me dinner and kiss me first) so prostate exams are far less bothersome than the dentist.

Associate
Not been to the dentist since 2003. Got a chipped molar at the top with exposed dentin. Doesn’t hurt unless you jab at it to hard or I get ice cream in there, then it stings for a few minutes.
I work for the NHS and can poke people all day with needles and cannulas, I don’t even bat an eyelid when on the receiving end either.
But I really need to at least have a check up before I turn 40 but I’m absolutely crapping myself, I’d honestly rather have another cystoscopy or a shoulder and hip injection that have someone poke that metal spear thing into my exposed tooth. ☹️

Soldato
Not been to the dentist since 2003. Got a chipped molar at the top with exposed dentin. Doesn’t hurt unless you jab at it to hard or I get ice cream in there, then it stings for a few minutes.
I work for the NHS and can poke people all day with needles and cannulas, I don’t even bat an eyelid when on the receiving end either.
But I really need to at least have a check up before I turn 40 but I’m absolutely crapping myself, I’d honestly rather have another cystoscopy or a shoulder and hip injection that have someone poke that metal spear thing into my exposed tooth. ☹️
Go now and it's a filling. Leave it and it becomes an unbearably painful abceses and a root canal / extraction.

Soldato
Hi i have to go in on Friday for one of the above on a rear lower molar, so for some reason i am terrified of dentist yet will go to the doctors with anything, so which would you take and why and also any stories to tell ?
Thanks

Don't worry about it when the dentist mentioned root canal to me I was like "aargh!" and my eyes must have turned to footballs but when it came to it it was absolutely fine not sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

Back
Top Bottom