Can my Windows be saved?

Associate
I am getting a 'Critical_Process_Died' loop which means I can't boot Windows 10 so as (hopefully) an interim measure I got another SSD and have installed a new version of Windows on that.

I was hoping that I could somehow fix whatever might be the issue in the new Windows, then I could go back to happily using my old version again. However I can't seem to access the old version of windows in command prompt - though I can explore the drive in Windows explorer (via the new install).

I thought perhaps the master boot record was corrupted but no matter what I do I can't seem to switch to the old drive in command prompt, so can't do that (nor DISM etc).

I'm at my wits end and I don't understand how it all seems fine in Explorer (and the drive reports as being healthy) but nothing doing in command prompt. Any thoughts on what I can try to repair it? (It goes without saying that none of the troubleshooter options that come with Win 10 work - it won't even let me Reset from there - not that I want to lose everything).

Worst case scenario I'll just have to copy stuff over from the old to the new, but I'd like to save the old installation if I can - if only to save the hassle of re-downloading everything etc.

Help!

Soldato
have you tried the usual:

Boot in safe mode
boot from a windows 10 USB and choose repair.

It sounds like something's got corrupt on the original to do with cmd prompt/file system but the new version won't have that issue.

Associate
OP
Yep, safe mode doesn't work (it just gets stuck in a loop of 'Critical_Process_Died' -> Automatic Repair -> Your PC won't start) and the same with using the repair option from a USB stick - again, it won't let me access the drive via the command prompt and none of the troubleshooter options have any effect. That means I can't try running DISM or bootrec /fixmbr either.

Back
Top Bottom