Stress and uncertainty

Associate
It's a weird time to be alive, it's a very divisive time and it's been a hell of a few years for many reasons.

The ever present threat of war, civil unrest, brexit, corporations getting bigger and more controlling, global warming/abuse of the planet and now corona virus.

I don't think it's healthy for people to be exposed to this level of stress for extended periods and it feels like things are straining at the seams.

Sure, there are many people who are on the hamster wheel, making a decent wage, raising a family and going on holidays but is that the reason we're all here? To just pound out your time on the hamster wheel while the world is slowly burning behind the scenes? Just ignore it, it's fine... (insert 'this is fine' gif)

I'm just like 'can we have a break?' yunno, a bit of time off from the insanity?

We reached a tipping point, many years ago, and still the broken systems continue to creak along. Businesses are killing the world and it's people for the sake of profit, social media is poisoning the minds of the easily distracted when there's so many bigger issues that we should be tackling.

I, like the rest of you I'm sure, try to focus on the good, be grateful for the little things but doesn't anyone else feel it would be nice to have a break from the ever impending doom?

Sure, just don't worry about what you can't effect, it's going to happen anyway, stay in your lane etc. but is that really what we're supposed to do?

It's always been 'the end of the world' in one way or another but I feel like the stress is starting to show with the amount of mental health issues particularly in the younger generations.

How do you deal with all the crap going on?

Soldato
I don't take things as personal these days. Maybe its my age and experience that as made me take a more back seat.

Many years ago I used to help run some irc channels and there would be 'troll' people who would come in, cause trouble and try to incite people to get angry at them. As I've grown up I now more admire the troll, to make fun of all the seriousness of people. As you say there will always been doom and gloom around. People used to walk around with boards strapped to them that said things about the coming end of the world. The reality is the world isn't ending. Life goes on. It'll be the same tomorrow as it was today and was yesterday.

I think the media these days are out of control and are trying to push world news in to peoples every day lives. The world hasn't gotten worse. It's that we're all being exposed to this constant media propaganda.

When I was growing up not many people talked politics. It was a turn off subject. If you talked politics peoples mind would shut down, yawn and walk off.

The only way to survive it to shut off social media for periods of time. If not we'll get burn out. I've seen people burn out before. It's not good. The guy I knew ended up living in a tent in the business he owned, even though he had a wife and kids at his home. He was unwashed and lost a lot of weight. Burn out is real. Moderate exposure to the toxic media or else it will have physical and mental consequences.

Soldato
Completely agree to the above. The media is toxic divisive and encourages insecurity and inadequacy. If you’re not completely disenfranchised with the system tall poppy syndrome prevents any attempt to change it.

Say or ask honest and inconvenient questions one minute, and your neck is on the line the next.

When poor people are naive enough to blame other poor people for all lives problems the rest of us suffer.

Until more see it and show solidarity for change, nothing will.

The fact the Tories got in with such a majority shows how much of a paradox we live in. Even when the media clearly control public opinion the majority are too stupid to see it or just don’t care.

Depressing times indeed :(

Man of Honour
It's a weird time to be alive, it's a very divisive time and it's been a hell of a few years for many reasons.

The ever present threat of war, civil unrest, brexit, corporations getting bigger and more controlling, global warming/abuse of the planet and now corona virus.

I don't think it's healthy for people to be exposed to this level of stress for extended periods and it feels like things are straining at the seams.

Sure, there are many people who are on the hamster wheel, making a decent wage, raising a family and going on holidays but is that the reason we're all here? To just pound out your time on the hamster wheel while the world is slowly burning behind the scenes? Just ignore it, it's fine... (insert 'this is fine' gif)

I'm just like 'can we have a break?' yunno, a bit of time off from the insanity?

We reached a tipping point, many years ago, and still the broken systems continue to creak along. Businesses are killing the world and it's people for the sake of profit, social media is poisoning the minds of the easily distracted when there's so many bigger issues that we should be tackling.

I, like the rest of you I'm sure, try to focus on the good, be grateful for the little things but doesn't anyone else feel it would be nice to have a break from the ever impending doom?

Sure, just don't worry about what you can't effect, it's going to happen anyway, stay in your lane etc. but is that really what we're supposed to do?

It's always been 'the end of the world' in one way or another but I feel like the stress is starting to show with the amount of mental health issues particularly in the younger generations.

Let go and be courageous.

/thread

Soldato

Why worry, unless you are actively trying to take a leading role in something, running for President to start a war etc, just accept that as an individual you have no control or say over anything that big. The last election has put me off voting or caring about politics, not cos my Labour guy didn't win, but because if I had voted 10,000 for him, he still would have finished in 3rd place. Honest what's the point voting in the seat I'm in. So I'm not anymore. I'd feel really guilty maybe if a very important vote came down to 1 vote either way, but the chance of that happening is less than me winning the euromillions tonight, so meh lol ;p

Associate
OP, it sounds like you need to spend less time on the internet. With all the information (true or otherwise) being thrown at us these days it's easy to get overloaded. Work hard and look after your own life, but don't take life or the world in general too seriously.

Man of Honour
I don't think it's healthy for people to be exposed to this level of stress

People are only as exposed as they allow themselves to be. Mindfulness and self gratitude will always create a positive world around you which is filled with the right people and a sense of wellbeing.

There are countless things you can do to be in charge of your own stressors, but if you're not conscious of what you are capable of then you won't go anywhere, so start there first and set yourself daily affirmations and just grow from there. DM if you're totally at a loss for ideas!

Soldato
The way I deal with it is this, and it may not work for you, is just think how insignificant you are in the universe. The coronavirus is just that, a virus, but you and I are less than a virus on the butt cheek of the universe. I'm very pragmatic, what happens will happen, you on any sort of scale are insignificant as a person - everyone is.

Saying that, get yourself off the internet, off Twitter, Off Facebook - even OcUK forums(I know right..), you don't need to spiral down that plughole..

Out of the things you say I think that the growing influence of global companies are the most threat to the safety/prosperity/happiness to the human race. It really is that bad, they need to do something soon else it will be too late(it may already be). We are a resource to global companies nothing more, at least when your company is local of regional you can see management, even if only sometimes, but when you have a CEO on a different continent and you are low in the company you are just a peon.

Stop giving these multinationals money, where you can(I know it's not always possible), and seek out a better work/life/recreation balance.

Live your life as normal, take precautions sure, but don't be ruled by fear.

Finally, Turn off the TV, at least stop watching broadcast news - especially 24/7 'news'. Watch some boxsets, catch up with some movies, play some computer games.. :)

Chin up dude!

Caporegime
None of that has any real daily effect on you.

Nothing really does other than your family, friends and job.

Turn off the TV or internet browser.

Yes it's what normal people are meant to do.

Associate
OP
Thanks to those of you who expressed concern. I'm ok (as much normal anyway ;) ), I just wonder about the state of the world, humanity's future, the people who are making the decisions and their motivations but that's just me.

I know most people just have their head down and are focused on their own lives and that's fine but I do worry about the news and social media and the effect it has on malleable minds.

Personally, I don't do social media, it's just white noise and people's egos so I don't bother with it.

It seems like we've got this little eco system going where everything is a pressure cooker, I don't feel like it's a healthy climate especially with agenda driven narratives.

I would love to be in a position to help make things better for us all.

Associate
The establishment keep you us fear, stressed out and worried as it is good for business.
People are kept in this state of mind so they consume, its not a mistake, the system was designed this way, it was designed to be a trap all along, everything in this "society" is all intertwined, all designed to work and affect eachother.

Soldato
I agree with you, it's all a lot of uncertainty and unneeded stress. I found it strange when people I speak to get wound up over things they hear about in the news that don't even affect them.
I found the best thing was deleting my social media, and when I browse Reddit to unsubscribe from any news or political related sub reddits.

Caporegime

Frank Zappa - I Am The Slime - 1973 " I am gross and perverted I'm obsessed and deranged I have existed for years But very little has changed I'm the tool of the government And industry too For I am destined to rule And regulate you I may be vile and pernicious But you can't look away I make you think I'm delicious With the stuff that I say I am the best you can get Have you guessed me, yet? I'm the slime oozin' out From your TV set You will obey me while I lead you And eat the garbage that I feed you Until the day that we don't need you Don't go for help : no one will heed you Your mind is totally controlled It has been stuffed into my mold And you will do as you are told Until the rights to you are sold "That's right folks Don't touch that dial" Well, I am the slime from your video Oozin' along on your livin'room floor I am the slime from your video Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go "

Associate
OP
None of that has any real daily effect on you.

Nothing really does other than your family, friends and job.

Turn off the TV or internet browser.

Yes it's what normal people are meant to do.

Interesting choice of word 'normal'. I'm not sure people being normalised to the system we have is ideal, it's like people stop looking for more, stop asking questions. They just get their head in the trough and munch away on what they're fed.

Being curious and pushing for more is what has got us hanging around in trees to where we are now. 'Normal' isn't always a good thing. ;)

Caporegime
My parents had to go through a world war.

Think we have it not too bad in comparison.
Exactly, at 12 years old I was riding my bike through parks, going on sunny holidays and spending my evenings watching TV, eating good meals and playing my games console.

When my Nan was 12, she was walking through rubble, eating boring rationed meals and spending her evenings in Bethnal Green tube station listening to the sound of all their houses being bombed!

I know what I’d rather be doing.

Back
Top Bottom