Stress and uncertainty

Caporegime
Interesting choice of word 'normal'. I'm not sure people being normalised to the system we have is ideal, it's like people stop looking for more, stop asking questions. They just get their head in the trough and munch away on what they're fed.

Being curious and pushing for more is what has got us hanging around in trees to where we are now. 'Normal' isn't always a good thing. ;)

Well I dunno. I assume you are young late teens early 20s. THE point where you are looking to make a big impact on the world, be top revenue earner and get a whole mattress full of Gucci belts.

There had never been a better time in European history to be alive. Sure it might not be fun to be Syrian or Palestinian, but I'm not so honestly all I gotta do is get sheered once a while and eat my pellets.

You can run off to seek adventure on Mars or smash the system. My idea of adventure is 4 days in a foreign city on tour busses and arguing about what restaurant to eat in.

As long as my bubble doesn't burst the world can burn around me, I'm going to die of coronavirus now I bet.

It's all about priorities.

The vast majority of people in a society are the sheep, yes there's a few naughty sheep that jump the fences now and then but they don't stray too far from the safety of normality.

Edit: my phone decided to maul what I babbled about and I'm too tired. To proof read it lol will fix later maybe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think these days are the best days to be alive ever. Certainly compared to medieval times or the war years of the 1900s for example. Get some perspective OP.

Soldato
I stopped reading the news on 28/12/19. Also deactivated Facebook. Not gone back to either. Stopped watching so much mindless telly. Also stopped drinking.

Started going to bed earlier. Started learning to drive (finally - been talking about it for years ). Aiming to get a networking certification. Reading books. Cooking.

If world war three happens I'm sure I'll know. Until then I'll deal with the micro stuff. Too much macro last few years.

Soldato
I think these days are the best days to be alive ever. Certainly compared to medieval times or the war years of the 1900s for example. Get some perspective OP.

Whilst I agree, and I know everyone is a child of there time, but the 70's/early 80's were the best. I could go out on my bike all day and be fine, go fishing where ever I liked, explore where I wanted - it was great.

Bugger being a child today, stuck in their bedroom on the xbox/PS getting no exercise what-so-ever. Even if they were to go out you need to be aware where they are at all times, preferably take a phone with you. Places are a lot more controlled, lots more traffic, a lot more wierdos about, just all round seems worse today than before.

I would love to go back to that time, much slower pace of life - with all the bombardments from social media/twitter/24x7 'news', all it does is scare people about somethings they can, rarely, do anything about.

Associate
OP
Well I dunno. I assume you are young late teens early 20s. THE point where you are looking to make a big impact on the world, be top revenue earner and get a whole mattress full of Gucci belts.

There had never been a better time in European history to be alive. Sure it might not be fun to be Syrian or Palestinian, but I'm not so honestly all I gotta do is get sheered once a while and eat my pellets.

You can run off to seek adventure on Mars or smash the system. My idea of adventure is 4 days in a foreign city on tour busses and arguing about what restaurant to eat in.

As long as my bubble doesn't burst the world can burn around me, I'm going to die of coronavirus now I bet.

It's all about priorities.

The vast majority of people in a society are the sheep, yes there's a few naughty sheep that jump the fences now and then but they don't stray too far from the safety of normality.

Edit: my phone decided to maul what I babbled about and I'm too tired. To proof read it lol will fix later maybe.

Interesting, I'm actually in my 40s and whilst not 'anti-consumerism' I certainly don't buy into the system where you're worth as a human is determined by how much you earn and how well you play the game.

It frustrates me that everything is so binary, there's no nuance to discussion and dislike the 'if you're not with us you're against us' mentality. Everything is so dumbed down, massive issues reduced to soundbites with the US being a more extreme example than the UK.

I've always been a bit of an undercover hippy and get annoyed about how we're treating the planet so it's frustrating to see policy makers consistently pass laws which serve corporations instead of people and the environment. The disparity between average citizens and the upper, upper levels has increase massively in our lifetimes, so it's relatively new.

I like the idea of restructuring society into a bottom-up system focusing on local communities who then inform county levels who in turn inform national policies. Local communities looking after themselves, sourcing most things locally and building relationships governing themselves.

I feel like that's the answer to most of our issues, financial and psychological. The government is a clunky old system, a bucket riddled with holes wasting resources. On top of that we have corps skimming off massive amounts of money, money that comes from citizens. With that money comes power, power to make decisions that serve the companies and share holders with no accountability. The banking system is screwed. The planet has already reached a tipping point and still governments are resistant to change. I feel like we've got our foot flat on the floor, accelerating towards the edge of a cliff and still we're told it's all fine.

Like others have said, 'don't worry about it, you can't change it' and so billions of people stay in their hamster wheel, being good 'normal' citizens who don't ask questions whilst billions of others simply struggle to make it through the day.

I still feel like consumerism can work but greed is the problem, communism could work but corruption and greed are still the problem, pretty much any system could work but greed, corruption and exploitation stop these things working. It seems there will always be people drawn to power in order to abuse it, that is the immaturity of our species. It whether we can make it past this stage which determines whether we make it at all.

And that's all on-top of all the mid-level crap we're fed on a daily basis, all the stuff from my OP.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived a life, done things that would impress some of you, had incredible relationships and done a fair bit of traveling. I grew up outside the age of the internet and so much has changed in recent years. When I was a kid people were ignorant to the damage we were causing, we don't have that excuse now. My only option is to hope that 'technology is our saviour' and that it can tide us over until we progress to a more enlightened time in the human story.

It frustrates that we're all so powerless to affect the world around us and that so many people are happy to play the game and pound out their time on the hamster wheel.

“You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your ******* khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Oh and it would be nice to have a break from the insanity caused by the ineptitude of those in charge. ;)

Capodecina
Soldato
. . .
I still feel like consumerism can work but greed is the problem, communism could work but corruption and greed are still the problem, pretty much any system could work but greed, corruption and exploitation stop these things working. It seems there will always be people drawn to power in order to abuse it, that is the immaturity of our species. It is whether we can make it past this stage which determines whether we make it at all.
. . .
Oh and it would be nice to have a break from the insanity caused by the ineptitude of those in charge. ;)
"Corruption and greed" quite so :(

Caporegime
I am as chilled as can be. People are far too sensitive and paranoid these days.

When Brexit day came about, I had a look at the multiple UK subreddits and some people were crying, and I even saw one person worried about turning to self harm to deal with it! It's just mind boggling.

Soldato
I stopped reading the news on 28/12/19. Also deactivated Facebook. Not gone back to either. Stopped watching so much mindless telly. Also stopped drinking.

Started going to bed earlier. Started learning to drive (finally - been talking about it for years ). Aiming to get a networking certification. Reading books. Cooking.

If world war three happens I'm sure I'll know. Until then I'll deal with the micro stuff. Too much macro last few years.

Good man. I stopped back circa 2015. There's literally no point. None. Once you truly realize and internalize that it's an entertainment for-profit outfit aimed at the easy impressionable (young people and funnily enough, old people that you'd think would know better), you treat it the same way as watching a movie.

Trump, Brexit, immigration, global warming, populism. Just ignore ALL of it. Live your best life with your loved ones. The rest is mindless noise.

Associate
How do you deal with all the crap going on?

Love these threads, i like talking about them in person a lot, but people often don't like where these types of conversations lead, or really enjoy delving into it all. Had forgot to reply until i was watching an old VHS on YT.

It's interesting how the newer generation are "have everything, are entitled, and in my day we watched the same VHS everyday (whilst the player chewed it up), before going on our mountain bikes." But the previous generation say, "kids aren't interested in work, can't do an honest day's work".
But it's all kinda true. Older gens didn't have the distraction of hobbies/interests, working was interesting and rewarding as one example corporations weren't everywhere (the employee was worth something).
Millennials, lots of distraction and interests. Work is deeply unrewarding, so not caring is encouraged. Increased population which means you can't say hello or smile to every person no longer. Homes are often un-affordable in the areas you grew up.
See a pattern?

I'm more of a realist. Often labeled as negative or glass half full by people though. Life is still very affordable, can live fine on part time work through house sharing, not indulging in eating out and unhealthy foods. Among other things, NHS free, can get many things for free like furniture, fix it up, sell it... No reason why you must retire at 65/70, if you can't work, you're probably unable to do anything anyway. However, not everyone follows that thought process. People buying themselves into masses of debt, forcing themselves into working 40/50/60hr weeks, always comparing each other. That's where the mental health problems thrive.

So the way i see it life is better and easier for sure, but these newer days, to gain control of your life and not suffer from the impending stress if you don't take control is dangerous. But taking control firstly requires intelligence, or a mishap/mistake/event to happen so you can take a step back and realise what life really is. And what i think it really is, is whatever you want to make of it. It varies on a person's surrounding for sure, some are born into poverty where a change in life is near impossible, others born into wealth where everything is achievable. One's own self worth is obviously differently measurable depending on their surrounding. So yeah, it is really a sad state of affairs wherever you are. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Soldato

Exactly what I was thinking. OP needs get take a break from the Internet and some fresh air! We're lucky enough to live in a developed country in the 21st century. Access to clean water, food, electricity, lowest infant mortality in human history, vaccinations for once life threatening childhood disease, no wars or threat of nuclear annihilation. Sure we all have stressors and worries but they're relatively minor compared to generations of old.

Associate
OP
Exactly what I was thinking. OP needs get take a break from the Internet and some fresh air! We're lucky enough to live in a developed country in the 21st century. Access to clean water, food, electricity, lowest infant mortality in human history, vaccinations for once life threatening childhood disease, no wars or threat of nuclear annihilation. Sure we all have stressors and worries but they're relatively minor compared to generations of old.

We also pay the cost for living in a developed society, for every pound we earn, once you take out income tax, council tax, NICs and the tax paid when purchasing items that pound is probably worth about 40p. And do you know what I am grateful for being to turn a tap and sterile drinking water coming out, so I do value the little things.

Also be aware that there are always trade-offs, all the food we eat is made for profit so it now has things in it that it shouldn't, compounds that aren't good for our bodies. The way we grow and process foods is terrible really. And you don't want to know what they do in the US, they are literally killing their land with looser legislation. Globally, entire swathes of land (and eco-systems) destroyed for the sake of cheap palm oil and grazing for cattle. There's so much crap going on behind a thin veneer of 'isn't life great?'.

I agree, it's much easier to ignore all the things that are hard to deal with.

Another reason for replying is that we've got our (national) beaks in a lot of places it doesn't belong, mostly dragged into things by our 'close friendship' with our neighbours over the pond. And be sure, a nuclear war for anyone will affect us all.

Like others have said though, the de facto mode is 'keep calm and carry on', don't worry about it, it'll all be fine, can't change it - don't worry about it.

Anyway, I'm getting off track, I think the OP question has been answered. People try not to worry about it/ignore it and focus on their immediate surroundings and accept their lack of power to change anything.

It makes me sad, but that seems to be what it is.

Soldato
You should read my book tbf - UNTHUNK. You're overanalysing your life, which will end up consuming you. Honestly, you lose perspective because you're too consumed with all the things you can't control, or that don't ultimately matter.

Caporegime
animals have been eating each-other since the workd begun.
I was talking about the number of species extinctions, drastic decline, and probable future extinctions directly attributable to human activity. Mostly through loss of habitat and migratory routes.

None of that has anything to do with animals eating each other. Nature tends to find a balance, whereas humans do not.

Back
Top Bottom