Locke & Key

Soldato
I heard amazing thugs about the books but when I checked them out in my local comic store I just found the art style too simplistic. I grew up on 2001AD comics and unless graphic novels have a certain level of detail and realism I just can't get into them.

Looking forward to this and hope they stay faithful.

Caporegime
OP
Well I thought this was a superb adaptation. It's the best way for me, keep the spirit of the source but change the story enough so that it's still interesting to fans.

Soldato
I was wary of watching this. I was interested as I genuinely like supernatural stuff but it seemed a bit 'Young Adult' by the trailer and I wasn't sure how much would be teen romance etc I know absolutely nothing of the comics or anything but decided to give it a go as really didn't have anything else to watch.

I would give it a solid 7.5/10 for the first season. Although some parts are a bit YA (I reference this as it is what Twilight, Hunger Games etc are classified as) overall it is a very good story, mystery and just generally entertaining show. There are certainly some moments as well that are not YA and genuinely left me with an 'ok well that just happened' vibe. These were a positive as it helps set up the villain well. Notably - For those who have seen it:

The scene in which Dodge gets a key off a young boy about 12/13. Simply opens a door to a subway station, takes his key and throws him in front of a moving train. Didn't see that coming.

It is well worth a watch for those just casually interested, good story, decent acting, well shot and some surprises throughout. If you like supernatural stuff give it a go.

Soldato
I'm pleased I've settled down to watch this - we're two episodes in and enjoying. When I watched the trailer hit, if it wasn't for the "Mature" stamped on the side I wouldn't have given it a second look.
The trailer made it look like some kids show full of magic and of course the dumb parents not knowing what was going on.
I know there are arguments about trailers sometimes giving too much information, but to me that trailer gave completely the wrong idea of what this show was.

Associate
I was wary of watching this. I was interested as I genuinely like supernatural stuff but it seemed a bit 'Young Adult' by the trailer and I wasn't sure how much would be teen romance etc I know absolutely nothing of the comics or anything but decided to give it a go as really didn't have anything else to watch.

I would give it a solid 7.5/10 for the first season. Although some parts are a bit YA (I reference this as it is what Twilight, Hunger Games etc are classified as) overall it is a very good story, mystery and just generally entertaining show. There are certainly some moments as well that are not YA and genuinely left me with an 'ok well that just happened' vibe. These were a positive as it helps set up the villain well. Notably - For those who have seen it:

It is well worth a watch for those just casually interested, good story, decent acting, well shot and some surprises throughout. If you like supernatural stuff give it a go.

Appreciate this review, I got the same impression from the trailer. Never knew it was based on a comic.

I have just finished The Haunting of Hill House which I really enjoyed. I do like my old school supernatural stuff and will give it a try.

Caporegime
Anyone else watching this? Family (mum, daughter and two sons) move in with their uncle in a new (or rather old) house, belonging to their Dad's family after he dies... turns out it has some magical keys within it...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah oops, didn't see the other thread, did take a quick look before posting, sorry guys.

This series is pretty good though, I'm not often a big fan of comic book stuff - things like the Walking Dead etc.. looked promising initially but turned out to be just drawn out rubbish and quite a lot of annoying characters just doing dumb stuff etc...

This on the other hand is really enjoyable, granted it's kind of a kids/teen friendly thing but still pretty good regardless.

Soldato
Never heard of this before but just watched episode 7. Seems like there are some obvious things they should do but they don't.
Maybe use the control key rather than the head key on whatshisname, problem solved but I guess that would be too easy

Don
I finished watching this last weekend. Overall enjoyable, but..

That ending was far far farrrr too predictable. The whole second half of the last episode was mostly a waste of time

Caporegime
Never heard of this before but just watched episode 7. Seems like there are some obvious things they should do but they don't.
Maybe use the control key rather than the head key on whatshisname, problem solved but I guess that would be too easy

Yup and
they still had the open the door turn into a Ghost key when all the other keys got nicked. I mean the kid met their ancestor in the garden... says hi to him then just went - the guy had been waiting around there for decades, not very nice! Though more to the point - they kept finding these keys etc.. surely you'd go back and visit him and ask a few questions etc..

Back
Top Bottom