My niece - Not again

Soldato
With sentences like that how can i be anything but convinced.

I know a doctor and lawyer who have no interest in computers other than using them for work, yet if i needed medical or legal help turning to a spotty helpdesk oik would be the last thing on my mind.

Think is Im an IT guy and know nothing about e.g. plumbing, but I know enough to get by. Or can just look something up and follow instructions.

Anyway, last time I visited a doctor he just ******* googled everything. I can do that myself :\ (not that they all do that).

Soldato
My niece who has a degree -works as a social worker - supposed to be intelligent has done it again.

Her first car was a Golf and her last car was a Seat. Both car had the red oil light come on and she kept on driving. This last time with her mother with her who said keep going till we get home.
Needless to say both engines were ruined. - She has now just bought a Ford Ecoboost. Will be interesting to see how long this one lasts. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe a quick lesson needed on some of the dash warning lights and what to do/check.

I thought checking the oil dipstick was one of those "point and show" things they tested you on during your driving test?

She can't be that wealthy as a social worker to buy another car every few years with minimal resale value due to damage.

Associate
They should stop buying VAG cars if they don't want to monitor oil consumption. Luckily the ecoboost engine should be able go between services without topping up.

I was going to say - there is a running theme there with both cars being VAG. Some of them need half of litre of oil with almost every other tank of fuel. If that sounds outrageous to anyone, bear in mind that VAG say that kind of consumption (half a litre per 600 miles) is within their expected range. Not that ignoring the light is sensible mind you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe a quick lesson needed on some of the dash warning lights and what to do/check.

I thought checking the oil dipstick was one of those "point and show" things they tested you on during your driving test?

She can't be that wealthy as a social worker to buy another car every few years with minimal resale value due to damage.

When did they introduce any form of car maintenance into the driving test?

Associate
Does she never get her cars serviced? Using 5l of oil in between services?

See my post above. VAG say as much as 500ml in 600 miles is within their allowable tolerance on a TSI engine from 2008-2014. It would be interesting to know what engines the cars in question have. During a 10000 mile service interval the engine will consume 8 litres of oil. That's fine according to VAG though.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . VAG say as much as 500ml in 600 miles is within their allowable tolerance on a TSI engine from 2008-2014. . . .
In fairness to VAG,they do say "UP TO 500ml over 1,000kM" and the Twincharger engine is a bit special - they are just covering themselves against warranty claims.

As a matter of interest, for comparison, what do Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi say about their performance cars' oil consumption?

Associate
In fairness to VAG,they do say "UP TO 500ml over 1,000kM" and the Twincharger engine is a bit special - they are just covering themselves against warranty claims.

As a matter of interest, for comparison, what do Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi say about their performance cars' oil consumption?

But it's not just the twin charger or other performance engines. It affects even the 150bhp 1.8TSI! The issue is rife amongst the TSIs of that age.

Soldato

The Volvo 5cyl turbo used in V70Rs and Focus STs is about 500ml over 2500mi.

Man of Honour
Recent VAG engines do use oil. I had to top my 2009 Golf up between services once or twice. But it should be common knowledge to anyone who drives a car that if an oil warning light comes on then you stop driving. I recall my driving instructor in 1987 telling me that.

Surely your niece's parents should have drilled this into her, especially as she killed a car once already. I was going to say her mum is an idiot too. But nowadays many people think that if the car starts and can run then it's clever enough to know whether it's 'safe' to run. I think with cars now being seen as purely a commodity people like to ignore their complexity.

Soldato
Apparently the Ford EcoBoost engines are sensitive to heat.

My wife's Astra had literally no oil in it and no light came on. Only realised a lack of oil due to a knocking noise. No idea where the oil went as it was serviced every year.

Soldato
Not surprised
Sold a perfectly good car
To a female neighbour
She was going through a bad
Time
So sold it cheap to her
Told her I would tax it for her
And Throw in a full
Tank of petrol too just to help
Her out
Next day she was complaining