TVs in the corner

FTM

FTM

Soldato
does hanging them on the wall make it worse for your neighbours? not everybody has a sound bar do they, and modern houses are so poorly built and most modern slimline tvs have the speakers at the rear

Soldato
can I ask why? Also, do you have to face it?

I don't know really, it just feels weird and not homely perhaps?

We rented a house for a year and it didn't have any fireplace in the living room and it just felt cold and odd and me and the wife really didn't like it, no focal point to the room. We made sure we had a fireplace in the lounge and a proper log burner in our open plan space in our current house.

Like i said we have 2 sofas and 1 faces the fireplace and the other is at 90 degress and faces the wall with the tv and stereo.

Soldato
OP
It is. That's why the lines on the graph slope upwards.

It's just that Ultra HD is a bit of a gimmick in that most people don't have a screen size/seating position setup such that they can actually see the benefit.

Oh i see what you mean now.

At an 8ft viewing distance, which is pretty standard for UK sized living rooms I guess, that suggests an 85" tv would be optimal for UHD compared to 50" for 1080p.

Id suggest an 85" tv would look stupid in a room that size.

Soldato
I've always found tv's above fireplaces seem too high but I guess it depends on how far away you can sit.

My front room is far from ideal TV setup wise, its mounted on a central wall with a bracket that allows it to sit out at an angle, corner sofa which faces it. 5.1 speakers as best as I can do around that.

Permabanned
I thought the whole point of a larger TV was so you DON'T have to sit close to it to see it properly.

Yes if you went from a 55" 1080p to a 70" 1080p but 4K needs you to be closer to make any difference over 1080p unless you have Superman's eyesight.

So you go bigger or you go closer.

There is always some who dismiss the charts but I would take THX info over someone claiming to have "super eyes", i feel it just justifies their smaller purchased TV and lightens the load of the buyers remorse.

This is IMO, same as their saying it is rubbish, they can sit 15+feet from a 42"-55" like many people know for all I care.

A TV only look big the 1st week or so then it is normal to you (within reason), many I know bought smaller model then regretting soon afterwards saying they should have bought the next size up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember the 4kdistancetime wars - spreadsheet to dial in your eye sight .. if you read bottom line in eye chart
if you want to be objective download the Bale spreadsheet and can play :
- if you have 20/20 vision with a 55"can only resolve 4k pixels at < 3.6' distance or with 20/10 7.2' (20/20, 20/10 are 4th/2nd from eye chart bottom)
- with 20/20 eyesight 1080p 55" can see the pixels at less than 7.2'
- THX longest recommended distance for 55" tv is 6.1' (36degree viewing field)
reposting this too

Soldato
I do not ideally like those type of legs for same reason you mentioned but some can slide in and out to be more on the middle.

Tbh I didn't even think about it until I took it out the box, went to lift it onto the TV cabinet we had at the time and had s "oh poo" moment :D

I ended up buying some wardrobe boarding a similar colour to the cabinet and creating a make shift shelf to take the width apart of the legs

The Mrs was adamant it wasn't going to be wall mounted until I convinced her that mounting it like I have you wouldn't tell

Soldato
After thinking about mounting TV above fireplace in this thread I think I'm considering putting the corner now (nearest the bay window) to allow a gas fireplace in the centre (flush mounted fire with the wall) .

(previous thread)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-with-soundbar-pics-and-dims-inside.18935596/

Any thoughts and advice? Was going to go with a TV and soundbar in this room (this is the "drawing" room in plan below)

aVige3C.jpeg

05850Ov.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Google mantlemount and other brand mounts. These pull out and down so that you can have an above fireplace TV to maximise space while minimising the compromise that is high viewing angle.

:edit: just realised I'm replying to the >1yr old posts, apologies :o

Back
Top Bottom