Please help. Friends pc is not posting.

Associate
Hey we recently purchased all parts from ocuk and I’ve put it together but I’ve not done it in a while. Please can anyone help.

when we turn it on all the fans come on and the rgb of the fans all come on. A red light comes on the motherboard but then goes off but we don’t get a beep. I can post pictures so anyone could see if I’ve plugged something in wrong but please help I feel so guilty building my mate his first gaming pc and it doesn’t even display a picture. Thanks for any help

Soldato
Can you take a picture of the build inside the case and post it here?

Make sure the CPU power is plugged in also, it's something a lot of people miss.

We also need to know what motherboard you're using.

Associate
OP
Ram seated properly?

What are the machines specs?

If you can post pics it may make things easier, However just check everything's seated correctly, do you have HDMI plugged into the GPU?

I know I'm stating the obvious but we all do silly little things like this at times

Make sure the CPU power is plugged in also, it's something a lot of people miss.

88MQtxC

Associate
OP

There is lights on the motherboard.

when turned on all the lights come on and then go off but the cpu light stays on for around 10 seconds then that goes off and then the vga light comes on then that goes off after 10 seconds then they go off.

the lights go at the top to bottom
Cpu
Dram
Vga
Eoot I think it says

Soldato
Make sure you've seated the HSF/applied thermal paste properly, that the film on the bottom of the HSF has been removed. Also make sure the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header, as suggested by @jsmoke it could be a thermal shutdown due to not detecting a cooling solution for the processor.

Make sure the CPU power cable plugged in is actually the CPU cable and not PCI-E.

Try one stick of RAM at a time in different slots.

Failing that, I'm wondering if you were unlucky enough to get a version of the motherboard without an updated bios for Ryzen 3000 chips. If that is the case, you should be able to fix it with USB Flashback, which luckily the board you're using has. Here's a guide for the process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cgcpc9/msi_flashback_guide/

Associate
OP
Could be cpu overheating, activating shutdown. Make sure CPU is seated properly and thermal paste etc.

hey thanks for commenting. I’ve just reseated the cpu and wiped some thermal paste off incase I put too much on and re applied the cpu cooler. The cpu light comes on and stays on for about 15 seconds and then the light goes off and goes to vga and then goes off

Associate
OP
Make sure you've seated the HSF/applied thermal paste properly, that the film on the bottom of the HSF has been removed.

Make sure the CPU power cable plugged in is actually the CPU cable and not PCI-E.

Try one stick of RAM at a time in different slots.

Failing that, I'm wondering if you were unlucky enough to get a version of the motherboard without an updated bios for Ryzen 3000 chips. If that is the case, you should be able to fix it with USB Flashback, which luckily the board you're using has. Here's a guide for the process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cgcpc9/msi_flashback_guide/
Thanks for commenting. The cable is the cpu one but from the links I posted can you just quickly check all the cables the best you can to see if any cables pop out as wrong. Top left of the board I have a 8 pin connector and then a 4 pin connector next to it but I don’t have a connector for that? I’ve plugged in the 24atx cpu pin and I’ve done all of the jp1 pins and usb 3.0 etc and I’m just really stumped

Soldato
The 8 pin should be good enough, the final four pin is essentially just a redundancy for extreme loads from what I understand.

As mentioned above (I edited my earlier post), make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header on the mobo. Unlikely to be the problem but it's worth being 100% before doing anything more drastic.

I do suspect you've ended up with an old bios on the board though, the guide I linked above explains how to use bios flashback, it's a fairly simple/painless experience.

Soldato
Think you'll need an older Gen Ryzen CPU to flash bios on this board

You don't, read my above posts...lol

would I be able to flash my bios with a usb that I’ve downloaded windows on and was going to use as a boot drive?

Yes, if you follow the guide I linked earlier.

Re-link: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cgcpc9/msi_flashback_guide/

You would need to format it though, once you've updated the bios you'll have to put Windows back on in order to install.

Back
Top Bottom