Samsung q70 49" right TV for me?

Soldato
49" is the biggest I can get for my lounge. I plan on using it for movies and console gaming. I will sit directly Infront of it so I won't have to worry about its poor angle image quality that it apparently has according to rtings. I looked at Sony xf90 which I think is it's only competition, I think I can't go wrong with either one, but I'm leaning towards the Samsung.
Good choice or am I making a horrendous mistake?

Associate
The best there is for gaming atm are the LG oleds, 120 hz, true blacks and nvidia gsync and they apparently have a 49" version coming this year as the current models are 55" and over. A few hundred more quid than the qleds from samsung but a far better screen.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for quick feedback. I have a budget of £800 and I don't think lg 49" oled will be in my price bracket. Also I want to pick up a TV in the next few months.
I will be playing my Nintendo switch on it, and I will be buying the playstation 5 when it comes out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I play with 49xf90 and it is a wonderful TV. I have the c7 oled downstairs and I reckon if the xf90 was my main TV I would be almost as happy. Had the q6 (yes not fald q7/70) but qleds are so saturated in their colour and unrealistic.

Associate
True but as he's doing console gaming in it the 120hz and vrr will be wasted

The new consoles will be using those very features and these OLEDs have HDMI 2.1 unlike most other TVs right now, if you're going to buy a TV why would you buy something that's tech is very soon out of date and with an 18gb limit of data bandwidth with HDMI 2.0 keeping you stuck at 4k 60fps with limited chroma. C9 OLED, future proof yourself for a few quid more. As for the price OP the TV you're talking about was about 800 quid last time I checked, the c9 is about 1200 for the 55 inch so the 49" should be cheaper, even if you got the C9 you'd be future proofing your self for a good few years and to me that's worth an extra few hundred quid when you take into account how long you'll have the TV for.

Associate
The new consoles will be using those very features and these OLEDs have HDMI 2.1 unlike most other TVs right now, if you're going to buy a TV why would you buy something that's tech is very soon out of date and with an 18gb limit of data bandwidth with HDMI 2.0 keeping you stuck at 4k 60fps with limited chroma. C9 OLED, future proof yourself for a few quid more. As for the price OP the TV you're talking about was about 800 quid last time I checked, the c9 is about 1200 for the 55 inch so the 49" should be cheaper, even if you got the C9 you'd be future proofing your self for a good few years and to me that's worth an extra few hundred quid when you take into account how long you'll have the TV for.
Sure they may support 120hz just like the current Xbox One does but I highly doubt any games will run at 120fps other than indie pixel games. Console games always have vsync on too so makes vrr pointless.
I do agree with your point on ponying up the extra for the OLED though, didnt realize a Q70 was £800~. The LG B8 55 are going for £999 right now.

I went for a RU8000 myself (think I got a bargain, 55" for £410), 1440 120hz/4k 60 is enough for me. My current GPU cant even do 4k/60 anyway.

Associate
Sure they may support 120hz just like the current Xbox One does but I highly doubt any games will run at 120fps other than indie pixel games. Console games always have vsync on too so makes vrr pointless.
I do agree with your point on ponying up the extra for the OLED though, didnt realize a Q70 was £800~. The LG B8 55 are going for £999 right now.

I went for a RU8000 myself (think I got a bargain, 55" for £410), 1440 120hz/4k 60 is enough for me. My current GPU cant even do 4k/60 anyway.

Hm not so sure that they won't use 120 considering the big leap in power that is expect from the machines with them able to push 8k rez, who knows. Yeah you got a right bargain there might look into that TV myself, where did you get it so cheap? I have a 4k samsung that I use for the PC but an older 2017 model so looking for a change but the OLEDs are too rich for my blood, I mostly play games in 1440p with a rtx2070s and use nvidia's sharpening tool and it looks amazing. Don't think I could ever go back to an over priced PC monitor again when you put them up against the 4k tvs there's no competition visually especially if you make use of the TVs advanced image filters, unless you're a hardcore fps gamer and need the lowest input lag.

Associate
Hm not so sure that they won't use 120 considering the big leap in power that is expect from the machines with them able to push 8k rez, who knows. Yeah you got a right bargain there might look into that TV myself, where did you get it so cheap? I have a 4k samsung that I use for the PC but an older 2017 model so looking for a change but the OLEDs are too rich for my blood, I mostly play games in 1440p with a rtx2070s and use nvidia's sharpening tool and it looks amazing. Don't think I could ever go back to an over priced PC monitor again when you put them up against the 4k tvs there's no competition visually especially if you make use of the TVs advanced image filters, unless you're a hardcore fps gamer and need the lowest input lag.
On a popular auction site, it was listed as open box mint but without stand (I have wall mounted it anyway). Dont know how they lost the stand but its 100% perfect condition so I couldn't care. Downside is only 12 month manufacturer warranty but i've never had a TV/monitor fail on me so not worried.
and yes that is what I do now, I only use my monitor for FPS/Strategy games and everything else (third person, racing, platformers, indies, action games) are all played on the TV. Playing something like dirt rally 2 on a big TV with a wheel is miles above the experience I had on my monitor.

Im expecting 4k/60 or 4k/30 on the more demanding games on the next gen consoles considering console devs always prioritize graphics over framerate, since thats what sells :D

Back
Top Bottom