• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice wanted...

Soldato
I don't follow GPU innovations much so don't really know what is coming, what prices are likely to do etc.

I want to upgrade my 1060 so I can run games on my new 4k monitor at native res.

I'm guessing that means a 2080 super is the kind of level of card that is likely to be required. But I also saw that AMD are likely to be releasing a 2080 competitor that may well end up causing prices to come down....

So what is the advice - buy a 2080 (super?) now or wait in the expectation prices will fall, but wait how long? Also what kind of timescales are we talking, does anyone know?

Cheers all!

Caporegime
Go for a 2070 Super rather than the 80, and yeah new cards are coming
Considering the performance increase from this card to a 2080 Super it makes the 2080 look very expensive indeed. 2070S is really the best value to performance card at the mid/high end atm.

Caporegime
I don't follow GPU innovations much so don't really know what is coming, what prices are likely to do etc.

I want to upgrade my 1060 so I can run games on my new 4k monitor at native res.

I'm guessing that means a 2080 super is the kind of level of card that is likely to be required. But I also saw that AMD are likely to be releasing a 2080 competitor that may well end up causing prices to come down....

So what is the advice - buy a 2080 (super?) now or wait in the expectation prices will fall, but wait how long? Also what kind of timescales are we talking, does anyone know?

Cheers all!

Lots of people having issues with amd gpu.

Crashing, artifacts, etc.

Stick with nvidia.

There is a reason why they are cheaper and still failing to sell well.

Soldato

I was gaming at 4K on a 780 Ti - i.e. about the same as a GTX 1060 5 years ago. Your 1060 will play games at 4K just fine as long as you are happy with medium settings and turn off most of the post-processing like AA. Especially if you have GSync or Freesync to cope with the dips. That said, the better the GPU the better the settings and a 2070S or 2080S will do you very well..

That's a 2080Ti or above my friend,

Codswallop.

Soldato
Just bare in mind that at 4k you need all the power you can get.

While the 2080S is going to get you 6-7 more FPS than a 2070S if the game is hovering around 60fps already you'll take what you can get.

E.g for me I'd not want less power in rdr2 as my 2080S generally keep things just above 60fps where a 2070s wouldn't without further conceeding settings.

Permabanned
It depends on the games you are running but the 2070 Super may well struggle at 4K. It will do but if you really want one that handles the monitor well then you need every ounce of power you can get. Whether that means buying top end now or waiting until later in the year when hopefully the next gen comes out, I would do one of those instead of getting a 2070 Super. The other alternative is you can checkout DLSS which with the right game can increse the framerate dramatically but to my eyes this is more suited to 4K TV's rather than 4K monitors. I have a 3440x1440 monitor and I don't consider my 2070 Super enough. It can do nearly all games but only just. I want to get the next gen when they come out later this year.

Soldato
It depends on the games you are running but the 2070 Super may well struggle at 4K. It will do but if you really want one that handles the monitor well then you need every ounce of power you can get. Whether that means buying top end now or waiting until later in the year when hopefully the next gen comes out, I would do one of those instead of getting a 2070 Super. The other alternative is you can checkout DLSS which with the right game can increse the framerate dramatically but to my eyes this is more suited to 4K TV's rather than 4K monitors. I have a 3440x1440 monitor and I don't consider my 2070 Super enough. It can do nearly all games but only just. I want to get the next gen when they come out later this year.
Knock the settings down and it'll be playable, and lol @ dlss

Soldato
OP
Based on the comments here, I think I'll wait until AMD and Nvidia release the next gen of cards, and then probably pick up a (cheaper) 2080super.

Thanks for the help guys....

bru

bru

Soldato
4k can be done on very modest hardware if you are prepared to lower settings, hell i was even able to run stuff on my old 970 on the TV with reasonable performance, but lowish settings and a 1060 is faster than the 970.
It is just the must have everything maxed out crowd that will tell you you need something much faster.
My advice would be to wait as the new cards are coming, with announcements due next month with cards following soon after hopefully. If nothing else it will (should) shake up the current priceing structure a bit.

Caporegime
4k can be done on very modest hardware if you are prepared to lower settings, hell i was even able to run stuff on my old 970 on the TV with reasonable performance, but lowish settings and a 1060 is faster than the 970.
It is just the must have everything maxed out crowd that will tell you you need something much faster.
My advice would be to wait as the new cards are coming, with announcements due next month with cards following soon after hopefully. If nothing else it will (should) shake up the current priceing structure a bit.
If you’re happy looking at console quality graphics then you may as well buy a console.

Soldato
OP
To be fair, there are often times when enabling all the ultra settings doesn't actually make the game look much better.... Assassins creed Odyssey looked great with many of the more intensive settings dialled back.

My PC is pretty decent, i5-7600K CPU, 16GB ram, SSD system with a 3TB data drive. The GPU is deffo the weakest link

Once again, I appreciate the help.

Caporegime
Based on the comments here, I think I'll wait until AMD and Nvidia release the next gen of cards, and then probably pick up a (cheaper) 2080super.

Thanks for the help guys....

Tbh after the 2070 all nvidia cards are pretty much pointless.

You are paying £300 to gain an extra 10 fps.

If you could get a ferrari for £500k or a slightly faster ferrari for £1.5 million it's just not worth buying the one that is 10mph faster.

Get a normal 2070 non super it's the best bang for buck then the 2070 super.

2080 cards are just settling fire to money for minimal gain.

I have just used competitive settings off YouTube videos to get my games running smooth with no hit to image quality.

At 4k you don't need a lot of stuff on like AA, etc

Soldato
OP
Tbh after the 2070 all nvidia cards are pretty much pointless.

You are paying £300 to gain an extra 10 fps.

If you could get a ferrari for £500k or a slightly faster ferrari for £1.5 million it's just not worth buying the one that is 10mph faster.

Get a normal 2070 non super it's the best bang for buck then the 2070 super.

2080 cards are just settling fire to money for minimal gain.

I have just used competitive settings off YouTube videos to get my games running smooth with no hit to image quality.

At 4k you don't need a lot of stuff on like AA, etc

I agree with all of this at today's prices. But if amd can produce a competitor to the 2080 at a lower price and Nvidia release a 30xx series of cards then the 2080s will come down a lot!

Back
Top Bottom