portable lightweight vacuum

Associate
We have a Dyson V11 Absolute, it's superb. Sadly ruling out Dyson means you are really limiting your options. I hear Sharks are supposed to be good, people tend to focus more on how much cheaper they are than Dysons rather than the actual quality of the product so your mileage may vary.

Soldato
I replaced our aging Dyson DC39 Animal with this Shark cordless
It's been brilliant on our wood floors and carpets - my wife breeds Persian cats, so it's in use every day. Lightweight and switches between hard floor/carpet with a press of a button (the hard surface mode slows the roller brush down, which prevents cat litter/crumbs getting flicked under units/appliances).
The carpet mode is great, you can literally feel the brush head pulling you forward like an excited, dust-sucking puppy.
Three daughters means I have to clean the hair out of the brush head fairly often, but the top pops off to run a pair of scissors along the roller, so it's literally a 10 second job, as is emptying the fairly small hopper.

I recommend paying for the extra battery - I can do the whole house on approx 70% of one full charge, with short periods of vacuuming under the dining table throughout the day. As soon as the first battery runs down, we put it in the dual charger and slap the charged one in - it's about 3½ hours to fully charge from empty, so we're never having to wait to use it.

I have a spinal injury, so having the weight (motor and hopper) at the handle end is much more comfortable than dragging a Henry-type around, or pushing a heavy upright style.
The business bit detaches quickly from the stick, converting into handheld mode and comes with several nozzle attachments - we use it for dusting, cleaning out the kitten run, along the skirting boards and under the sofa cushions. It's not as light as a regular Dustbuster type, but the added power means we're not carrying it for too long.

You don't need to spend the £500 RRP - we bought ours around Black Friday from Very at £279 - they had a £50 off your first order, when opening a credit account, so it cost us £229 delivered (we had 6 months interest free, but paid it off the week after it arrived, once we were sure it was staying).

There's cheaper options than the Orange & White version, such as this one for £199 (not sure if they're still doing the £50 off first order deal - worth checking), if your mum doesn't need the two batteries (We're pretty heavy users, due to cats & kids).

Or get a refurbished one for £150 (although you lose out on the 5 year warranty)

I realise I've prattled on - but we'd tried lots of other vacuums (Miele, G-Tech, Vax) before deciding on the Shark - being able to do some housework when my back lets me just takes the pressure off an already busy wife.

Soldato
I know you said no Dyson, I would have to say after purchasing the cordless Dyson V11 absolute, its the best hoover I have owned, mainly because it's out first cordless and with all the attachments it makes hoovering the stairs not only safer due to no cord but a lot easier.

Associate
I have one made by Tineco - very impressed by it, comes with a couple of batteries which is the other major appeal with it

Back
Top Bottom