Starting with a new employer after long tenure with previous job

Soldato
Before Christmas, I was told my position at the company I have spent almost 12 years at was at risk of redundancy.

I went to a couple of interviews and on Christmas Eve, was offered a role that I accepted. Redundancy was officially confirmed in the new year but luckily informed them of job offer and worked out my 4 weeks notice.

I started my new job on Monday and have found the change really tough going. Coming home every evening and basically crashing out on the sofa asleep!

I joined previous company during a period of rapid growth, so the pace of change was swift. The past 12 months has seen that slow to reflect a company gradually winding down.

The company I joined on Monday are a relatively new startup, so the pace of change is fast as the company looks to grow. Theres also the added factor of learning about the business, various processes and getting to know new colleagues.

I've personally suffered with anxiety and low self esteem throughout my teenage and adult life, which has always held me back in life. The past week has brought on a whole heap of emotions and feelings; will they keep me on after 3 months probationary period? Will they get rid of me before? Am I at a level and good enough to be there?

Keen to understand other peoples experiences who have been through something similar. :)

I have found that a new job is always extremely exhausting as there is just so much to take in.
The best thing you can do is ensure you get a good amount of sleep (I find napping on the sofa ruins sleep the following night!) and do something you enjoy in the evenings to wind down.

Caporegime
The will they keep you on question is probably better answered by finding out how many other people were in your positing before and let go not long after, unless they're known for having some certain standards and culling people quickly if they can't keep up then I'd not stress about it too much.

It's not uncommon for people to find it difficult initially in a new environment, dealing with a new system - at a previous firm we'd be quite clear with people that they'd be next to useless for the first 6-12 months and that it will take time for them to get to grips with it all.

If its a growing/expanding firm then generally they'd not be looking to cull people and the workload can simply be whatever they can throw at you and more... if it gets too much then you've just gotta prioritise, delay less urgent stuff - as long as you manage expectations then they can't complain too much.

Do reach out to people if you're stuck - obvs best to have shown what you've tried etc.. if you're just dumping a fresh problem on someone that is a bad move, if however you've tried some logical approaches etc.. and can show what you've done then that's generally welcome by most - something you could be left scratching your head over for the rest of the day might be cleared up much quicker with some input from an experienced colleague after taking a quick look.

Questions about procedures etc.. are totally valid, just ask outright but make sure you keep notes and don't need to ask the same thing twice.

Essentially though you're bound to feel a bit anxious, slightly out of your depth in a new environment, try not to let it get to you, lots of people go through it when in a new place - it's generally a good thing, it's an indication you'll be doing something interesting/challenging rather than something dull/mundane you could already plod through half asleep. :)

Associate
19 months ago, I started a role at a new company after 10 years service at my previous employer. I went through all the emotions you mentioned, so I'd say it's perfectly normal. Once you get a handle on the new processes and systems, your confidence will grow.

Man of Honour
I left my employer of 12 years (staid, change averse, semi corporate, multinational) to join a small, young, agile company last January .
I also switched to a very different role at the same time.
The crashing out thing is totally normal, I spent three months coming home in a good mood but completely exhausted.

It was the best professional decision I ever made. Stick it out.

Soldato
A similar thing happened to me about 5 years ago, 10 years working for a very good company I knew inside out, and looking back in a bit of a rut even though I enjoyed the work. Another exciting role came out of the blue in a different company and the first few months were really hard and tiring, but once my head was above water again I really began to appreciate the move and thankfully it's really worked out. I agree with most people above - stick with it. :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

Nice to read other peoples similar experience.:)

Just completed my second week. Still have the feeling of being an imposter and out of my depth though but second week definitely better than the first.

Man of Honour
I worked somewhere for 20 years and then moved (voluntarily). It was a very emotional wrench which I don't think a lot of people are prepared for.

Soldato
Hang on, you skipped the 12yrs worth of redundancy pay and left? :confused:

I think working in any new environment is probably quite taxing. Not just the role itself but you're probably trying to impress, be nice to everyone, make small talk. Unless you're super-outgoing it's always wearing in the end. I know when I work out of our office at a production office I'm absolutely shattered by the end of the day, just by the nature of hot-desking, chatting more, being sociable etc.

Soldato
OP
No. In my final consultancy interview, redundancy was confirmed and I then told them about my new job offer, so pocketed the SRP.

I'm 6 weeks in now and things are getting better. Glad I stuck with it!

Back
Top Bottom