• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual radeon GPUs - 4k?

Associate
You're fine with the 1700X despite the 'crap pc' narrative. It's good enough for modern games and while a 3600X or 3800X would be a good jump in performance you'd be best served selling both current cards and
getting a 5700/XT or 2070S. Both can just about manage 4K and shouldn't cost much more than £150-200 after resale value of current cards accounted for. The newer Ryzens got quite a gaming performance boost and therefore are likely to be quicker in most games than your 1700X even with two fewer cores.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're fine with the 1700X despite the 'crap pc' narrative. It's good enough for modern games and while a 3600X or 3800X would be a good jump in performance you'd be best served selling both current cards and
getting a 5700/XT or 2070S. Both can just about manage 4K and shouldn't cost much more than £150-200 after resale value of current cards accounted for. The newer Ryzens got quite a gaming performance boost and therefore are likely to be quicker in most games than your 1700X even with two fewer cores.

So basically what I said.

Get a 3600x and a 5700xt or 2070 super

Outlay of £600 then he needs to buy additional peripherals, etc then the hdmi extender.

He's still looking at closer to a grand.

Soldato
OP
so how do they make a 4k console for £500 which includes obviously the mobo, ram, housing, power supply, controller?

non upgradable console will be significantly behind upgradable pc in +5 years?

cant really count the hdmi extender in the comparison as thats driven by a choice as to where im putting the pc. and if i didnt have a pc at all id need to buy a keyboard and mouse accessory for the console probably.

Man of Honour
The 1700 may be OK for a while. But plan to upgrade in the future as it could limit minimum frame rates. The 1600AF looks good, or a 3600/2700.

16gb and an SSD is fine.

Sell the two GPU's and buy a used 5700XT or 2070S in the members market. See whether the 1700 is OK with it or upgrade as above. If you keep the 1700 for now then the total cost to change will be quite small.

What PSU do you have?

Soldato
so how do they make a 4k console for £500 which includes obviously the mobo, ram, housing, power supply, controller?

non upgradable console will be significantly behind upgradable pc in +5 years?

cant really count the hdmi extender in the comparison as thats driven by a choice as to where im putting the pc. and if i didnt have a pc at all id need to buy a keyboard and mouse accessory for the console probably.

well first of all it's all made at once and soldered to the motherboard, that along saves huge cost. Secondly the parts are ordered in bulk again savings lots of money. Consoles are built for much cheaper than buying individual pc components

we already know the build cost for the ps5 is $450usd that machine includes 16 threads of ryzen 3000, Navi GPU capable of 4k60 gaming, GDDR6 ram and a pcie4 SSD

Associate

Outlay of £600 then he needs to buy additional peripherals, etc then the hdmi extender.

You said "thousands", so not at all what you said.

Sell the GPU's and buy one of the GPU's suggested in this thread, see how you find that experience then if you want some more frames consider grabbing a newer Ryzen also.

Associate
You have a crap pc atm.

You will need to buy a new cpu, mobo, ram, then decent mouse add all the other crap you want and your talking thousands.

It's not 'thousands' he doesn't need the 3600x yet. He'll be GPU limited especially at 4K. He'd probably be GPU limited at 1440 too. At 4K a 1700X while not plenty should certainly keep up with a 5700XT/2070S. His outlay is £250 max for a respectable interim solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHrPsfmS_k QED:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not 'thousands' he doesn't need the 3600x yet. He'll be GPU limited especially at 4K. He'd probably be GPU limited at 1440 too. At 4K a 1700X while not plenty should certainly keep up with a 5700XT/2070S. His outlay is £250 max for a respectable interim solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHrPsfmS_k QED:)

you haven't included costs of HDMI extenders, all the other stuff he needs, etc.

Associate
you haven't included costs of HDMI extenders, all the other stuff he needs, etc.
Other stuff? He has a PC so I'm assuming he has a keyboard etc on which the OP typed to start the thread. As OP said HDMI extender is optional for using his TV. So he needs a cable? Feel free to correct me! I have a MS force feedback joystick and a racing wheel. They aren't free so he'd have to buy for PC/console anyway so peripheral's price is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom