MSI Carbon X370 Gaming Pro, changed CPU - wont power on, what to check?

Associate
Hey guys

I've just changed the Ryzen 5 on my motherboard from the Ryzen 5 1600 that was in there, to a Ryzen 3600.

I've also attached my Corsair H110 cooler from my other PC which died a few days back and put the Nvidia card from that PC into the Ryzen PC aswell.

Now the Ryzen PC wont power on when I press the power button.

I've swapped the power button
I've cleared the CMOS

I can see an LED glowing on top the video card, so I know the PSU is functioning.

Can anyone suggest other things that could prevent it from starting up ?

I guess the new CPU could be DOA, but wanted to try and narrow it down first.

Really grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Looking at the MSI site, it seems like the later BIOS updates do support the 3000 series. So if you're on the latest version then there's something else going on.

Checked your wiring from PSU to board to make sure everything is plugged in?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys
Last pc the PSU died and so I bought a new one which then showed the CPU was dodgy.
So new psu is fine. It's plugged in to the 2 main places on the board, though I dunno how I can be sure power is actually getting to it.
Definitely put the latest bios on it before putting the new CPU in.

Hadn't thought about the GPU, didn't realise that could stop it from powering up. I'll remove that and give it a whirl.

Associate
OP
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! (or rather, loser)
It's the PSU.

So, brand new Corsair RM1000x, worked fine when it arrived plugged into my (now defunct) i7 pc. Plugged it into the Ryzen machine and it isn't working.
I get an LED ontop the gfx, so power is coming from the PSU, but isn't going down either the 24pin or 8pin to the CPU.
Just bad luck I guess!

Thanks all.

Soldato
So, brand new Corsair RM1000x, worked fine when it arrived plugged into my (now defunct) i7 pc. Plugged it into the Ryzen machine and it isn't working.
Have you used now multiple PSUs in short time?
In that case did you make sure to swap every power cable to ones which came with new?
As rule unless being exactly same model you can't use cross use modular cables.

Basing on level of CPU already 650W would have been more than enough.

Associate
OP
Definitely used 2 PSU on the current Ryzen PC, but only the new PSU is modular. So all cables were effectively replaced when I went to the new PSU.
No idea why it's not working.
I previously had a 750 and just went for a 1000 for future proofing, but it's not working so will go back.
The bright side is that the working 800 PSU that I still have, that I didn't think was usable because it didnt have the 2x8 pin PCI power cables I've discovered I can use by buying some 6pin to 8pin converters, so the new PSU will be returned for a refund instead of replacement and I've saved myself over a hundred quid.

Back
Top Bottom