Best budget AIO Cooler ?

Soldato
What is the best budget AIO Cooler at the moment ?

I would only be cooling the CPU as I dont see a point in cooling the GPU at this point (not broke dont fix it)

I am air cooling at the moment with the Noctua u12s.

As for custom cooling, I have done it but I find it needs a lot more work and money and I would worry about leeks and refilling it.

Soldato
As for custom cooling, I have done it but I find it needs a lot more work and money and I would worry about leeks and refilling it.

What are you looking to get from the AIO?

Did you sell all your WC components? If not then upgrading should be quite cheap? Often you can pick up a bracket for the new socket for a few quid, and if you've still got your pump and Res then all you need to worry about is tubing and coolant. Which again is just a few quid

In my experience the cost of a budget AIO would buy you a good air cooler, which would be much more reliable, longer lasting and quieter.

Just my tuppence :)

Are you Overclocking? What temps are you getting at the moment? What's your case & fan setup?

Soldato
Like WantoN said you're not going to get actually powerfull watertube cooler for cheap.
If you still have the main parts, reassembling that custom loop would be best budget way for that...
For comparison you can get step better heatpipe cooler than current for £43.

Soldato
OP
What are you looking to get from the AIO?

Did you sell all your WC components? If not then upgrading should be quite cheap? Often you can pick up a bracket for the new socket for a few quid, and if you've still got your pump and Res then all you need to worry about is tubing and coolant. Which again is just a few quid

In my experience the cost of a budget AIO would buy you a good air cooler, which would be much more reliable, longer lasting and quieter.

Just my tuppence :)

Are you Overclocking? What temps are you getting at the moment? What's your case & fan setup?
Im not sure if its something I would end up doing but just wanted to know,
Im thinking about a AIO for a few reason 1. I want to move to smaller case and the one im looking at (lian li 011d) does not have much cpu clearance (150mm), WC would cost me a lot more and I would need to buy all the parts again, 3 a smaller heatsink may not keep it as cool.

At the moment im using a Notua u12s because I wanted something simple that did the job.
I sold all of my WC components some time ago because I wanted something a little simpler and needed less maintenance,
I was only ever cooling my CPU so thought it was a little over board, the GPU block compatibility was alway a issue, the risk of leaks and price so I never did it.

I also found it more work to maintain, I would forget to top up the fluid and worry about leaks, the trend was also hardline tubing which was a lot more work and I would need to buy few new items at then end water block was not compatible with am4 so I thought I would just sell the lot and get a good air cooler.

Im overclocked at 3.75Ghz temp at 38.75 I have the noctua u12s and 6 other fans

Soldato
Im not sure if its something I would end up doing but just wanted to know,
Im thinking about a AIO for a few reason 1. I want to move to smaller case and the one im looking at (lian li 011d) does not have much cpu clearance (150mm), WC would cost me a lot more and I would need to buy all the parts again, 3 a smaller heatsink may not keep it as cool.

At the moment im using a Notua u12s because I wanted something simple that did the job.
I sold all of my WC components some time ago because I wanted something a little simpler and needed less maintenance,
I was only ever cooling my CPU so thought it was a little over board, the GPU block compatibility was alway a issue, the risk of leaks and price so I never did it.

I also found it more work to maintain, I would forget to top up the fluid and worry about leaks, the trend was also hardline tubing which was a lot more work and I would need to buy few new items at then end water block was not compatible with am4 so I thought I would just sell the lot and get a good air cooler.

Im overclocked at 3.75Ghz temp at 38.75 I have the noctua u12s and 6 other fans

Noctua make some superb low profile coolers. I don't know enough about the current air market to comment I'm afraid.

Your WC setup sounds very odd. Once bled ice never had to top up a system, and I've never had one spontaneously leak on me. I hate hard-line so I feel you there, but with ZMT and clear fluid, all I ever so is drain, flush with distilled and refill once a year to 18 months.

I totally get not wanting a custom loop, and in your case and AIO sounds worth it. But I'm not sure you'll be happy with the performance of a budget AIO over even a low profile cooler.

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...u-aio-water-cooling-unit-black-hs-007-ac.html

I can vouch for this one, it's very serviceable compared to closed loop AIOs.
Has standard 1/4 fittings so you can swap out the black tubes for clear.
The pump and seals can be easily replaced.

I've been impressed with Alphacools eis range, they're making some innovative stuff at the moment.

When I upgrade my GPU I'll be using their GPU block, love the industrial look and large passive heatsink style.

Soldato
Best current AIO is the arctic freezer II. £80 for a 360 or 280mm unit. Quiet and superb cooling.

clc, not aio .

nice to see a thicker unit at 38mm vs 25/30mm but still aluminum rad with copper plate .
Might have anti corrosion liquid but cut that unit up after warranty and take a look inside - or all units like this . worst if you scratch paint work off rad due to atmospheric corrosion with 2 dissimilar metals . Inhibitors can only slow rate of corrosion, not stop it

Soldato
clc, not aio .

nice to see a thicker unit at 38mm vs 25/30mm but still aluminum rad with copper plate .
Might have anti corrosion liquid but cut that unit up after warranty and take a look inside - or all units like this . worst if you scratch paint work off rad due to atmospheric corrosion with 2 dissimilar metals . Inhibitors can only slow rate of corrosion, not stop it
Its cheap though and the freezer II 280mm matches the Asus Ryugin 360mm in performance.

Are you saying 1/4"? That's like 64mm?

Quick Google brings up plenty, what size tubing?

Just measured an off-cut as I had totally forgotten to be honest.

Looks like 8mm x 12mm tube, G1/4 fittings.

After black coated springs coil (like in the last picture above).

[EDIT] Found some, referred to as anti-kink coil rather than springs. :o

kinky.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It’s the same thing. Your car has mixed metals and doesn’t suffer any issues.

clc, not aio .

Soldato
It’s the same thing. Your car has mixed metals and doesn’t suffer any issues.

It happens . easy google and you'll find issues . Specially when People top up Coolent with TAP WATER instead of deionised water, Distilled is technically the best and most CLC should use it . Creep/microorganisms can be god aweful - specially on oil Platforms

The FIRST thing to go in Water Pump !!!!!! Had Renault Twingo Sports with Aluminum Alloy Engine Block and Aluminum Radiator . Quick google on Galvanic corrosion and you'll see Aluminum alloy is the WORST with any Metal . Engine Head and Inlet Manifold was Aluminum .

Cast Iron and Aluminum are closer together then Aluminum and Copper , so less reaction etc etc

CLC and AIO are different in terminology - ask any vendor rep that makers water kit. AIO were defined as being able to be cool CPU along with GPU in a Prebuilt kit or added . CLC is closed loop and takes modding . Custom loop is 100% up to the user . Alphacool and ekwb do not advertise their kits as CLC but AIO, asetek advertise as CLC . takes a few tech sites to use AIO on a product and has stuck since . Custom Hardline is CLC as once its done its closed loop- but we still define it as Custom loop.

Back
Top Bottom