12v killswitch help

Soldato
Hi

I am looking for a bit of help with finding a killswitch on my boys tractor. I want a remote switch that basically makes a connection on an earth (-) wire.

The engine is effectively turned off by grounding it and I want a remote that will do this but all I can find on ebay are remotes that switch on a 12v +. I guess I am looking for a simple 1 channel relay, but the ones I find are powered (which I know all will need this) and then allow the + power through the switch.

Any ideas, its so I can kill the engine of his tractor if he is about to crash it!!

Soldato
Buy something like above and connect the coil to your 12v battery.

Put earth to common and then connect the engine to the normally closed contact. That way the tractor will only run when the switch is on.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, not overly familiar with this its a Briggs and Stratton engine that once started, will only stop if you earth out the coil - when you say connect the coil to your 12v battery do you mean the 12v+ and 12v- of the receiver to the battery? I'm not worried about controlling if it can start or not, just want to stop it by remote.

Damn it, went to buy it and its out of stock!! Found same one, just a bit more expensive and longer delivery.

Soldato
Thanks, not overly familiar with this its a Briggs and Stratton engine that once started, will only stop if you earth out the coil - when you say connect the coil to your 12v battery do you mean the 12v+ and 12v- of the receiver to the battery? I'm not worried about controlling if it can start or not, just want to stop it by remote.

Damn it, went to buy it and its out of stock!! Found same one, just a bit more expensive and longer delivery.

By coil I meant the 12v and 0v connection on the switch to power it up. Connect that straight to your battery if it’s easiest. Just bear in mind the switch will still draw energy even when the tractor isn’t running so could drain it. I imagine it’s take months for that switch to drain a fully charged battery though.

Back
Top Bottom