The end of the ticket tout?

Soldato
**** touts. Literally stopping fans from seeing shows, in order to make some cash out of the situation.

I once said to a friend I would sell my spare ticket at face value if it wasn't claimed by another mate, while outside a gig. A tout walked up and threatened to knife me. Then his colleague walked over and backed it up. *****.

Associate
Touts are awful and ruin fan's ability to see bands. As it is, ticket prices have ramped up to a silly level already, thus nuking anyone that isn't already a fan from wanting to see the band, and that's before having to compete with touts buying tickets within the first minutes anything major is announced. Miss out and have to pay through the nose to someone that has no interest in the band (apart from a financial one).

A ticket reselling service/ability is ace, but not increasing the price above the original (plus the stupid booking fee).

Soldato
Touts are awful and ruin fan's ability to see bands. As it is, ticket prices have ramped up to a silly level already, thus nuking anyone that isn't already a fan from wanting to see the band, and that's before having to compete with touts buying tickets within the first minutes anything major is announced. Miss out and have to pay through the nose to someone that has no interest in the band (apart from a financial one).

A ticket reselling service/ability is ace, but not increasing the price above the original (plus the stupid booking fee).
Totally agree ticket resale at cost price is a great idea ticket resale as a money making scheme is pain wrong.

Man of Honour
Isn't this what capitalism is all about - buy low, sell high? It's worse in other areas - if the video game model was applied then customers would have to pay real money to buy an envelope that only might have a ticket inside. Or how about used cars? Some of them sell for far more than the original purchase price. All these people did was to improve the efficiency of the business. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

About capitalism, that's more about businesses selling to consumers.

The debate here is geared towards consumers selling to other consumers at mark-up. I'm against this because the tickets are meant for the true fans, and who knows when that band will perform again? It's fine though to re-sell at face value plus booking fees, p&p etc if you've gone down with a flu etc or if otherwise you can't make it to the concert. Just not for profit.

Soldato
Isn't this what capitalism is all about - buy low, sell high? It's worse in other areas - if the video game model was applied then customers would have to pay real money to buy an envelope that only might have a ticket inside. Or how about used cars? Some of them sell for far more than the original purchase price. All these people did was to improve the efficiency of the business. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

Ticket touting embodies everything that is wrong with capitalism. It's unethical and greedy and almost always run by criminals who aren't just ticket touting.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I never knew this was illegal, in fact I still don't how it is illegal. Find a demand and supply it.

Soldato
given I can walk past touts and not have to deal w/ them, i'd far prefer the legal system had dealt w/ ticketmaster's monopoly and ****ty "service" charges and ****ty practices of hiving off premium tickets immediately and putting them on their own resell sites.

Back
Top Bottom