Video editing pc - spec me?

Soldato
Hi guys

other half needs a PC to be able to work from home, she's got a very beefy imac at work but no budget to match that at home.

the spec of the imac -;

I9
64gb DDR4
2tb ssd if I'm not mistaken
vega 64 8gb gpu.

she has a budget of around £1300-£1400 tops.

all she needs is the rig it self no monitor, peripherals etc.

any ideas what we can get for the budget to get as close to the above as possible?

software she uses is aftereffect, photoshop, premiere etc - basically all adobe packages so no restriction to mac for final cut etc.

any helps appreciated here!

Soldato
@grudas

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/What-is-the-Best-CPU-for-Video-Editing-2019-1633/

GPU wise... No more AMD. ARTX 2060 will do the job with less power

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1564/

Ram side of things....

AMD it's speed over amount, and Intel it's the opposite if after max performance

AMD

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,436.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Intel version

Total: £1,476.00 (includes shipping: £13.20)

1TB NVMe are about £119, different case could be used but that's one of the best for low noise

RTX 2060 no super is about £290 for quiet version . Is 6GB of Beam Vs 8GB , but is a good £60+ saving and better then AMD she uses

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1bj-gi.html

And last but not least, mash up of Ryzen 16 cores but with RTX 2060 non Super

Total: £1,565.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the response @orbitalwalsh

much appreciated! I will have a chat with her and see what she prefers! both look good from my POV.

she able to claim VAT back ? Gigabyte have UK RMA on mobo and GPU compared to the rest which is handy business wise Forum Rep on here

benches for aftereffects. Please keep in mind that Ryzen isn't using 3200/3600hz ram which would increase its performance as i've mentioned in the post above !

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...formance-AMD-Threadripper-3990X-64-Core-1658/

non overclocking i9 9900 (non K/KS) Can be hand for just over £400 mark which again could effect pricing

aftereffects for GPU- again Nvidia comes up ahead and £280 RTX 2060 super can beat her current Vega 64

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1553/

latestly, intel based i9 which isn't overclockable but with 2060 super instead of non super listed above and CRITICALLY 64GB ram vs 32GB with the other two

Total: £1,447.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)

counter version from AMD - 8 core ryzen 7:3700x - like above drops CPU so 12 core ryzen is out but in its place is 64GB of Ram

Total: £1,350.11 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Last edited:
Associate
I think by hackintosh he means build a PC and run Mac OS on it, which is getting harder and harder to do as apple keeps putting things in place to stop people from doing that

Soldato
I think by hackintosh he means build a PC and run Mac OS on it, which is getting harder and harder to do as apple keeps putting things in place to stop people from doing that

aye- limited choice , still better then apples choices but now getting small.

£2400+

£1300-£1400

worth asking her when shes in work to check CPU/RAM load when shes performing her tasks .

Seen you mention she has 8 core i9 Mac- only ones i can see that do 8 cores in the IMac Pro/Mac Pro which is Xeon and not i9 based.

i9 9900 non K would have a higher single core boost 5ghz vs 4Ghz and all core boost of 4.6Ghz vs Xeon's 3.7Ghz

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Back to this.. she had confirmation and they've said "1k" budget for the rig, so the initial 1500 was changed.

I'm thinking of getting something together that's good now and upgradable in the future so maybe less memory and disk and lower end case but keep the GPU/CPU and future proof motherboard in there.

Soldato
Thanks guys.

Back to this.. she had confirmation and they've said "1k" budget for the rig, so the initial 1500 was changed.

I'm thinking of getting something together that's good now and upgradable in the future so maybe less memory and disk and lower end case but keep the GPU/CPU and future proof motherboard in there.

to be honest, would keep the CPU and RAM as they are , GPU can be knocked down. Again not using Da Vinci Resolve that takes GPU power into consideration more .

Total: £985.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)

and smaller then mATX is ITX - console style case

BB CODE
Total: £1,008.18 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
OP
no worries, got matx or itx ?

we went for the matx.

I remembered that I have a bitfenix phantom case sitting in the attic so I'll pull that down and that reduced the overall, we replaced the gpu for the 2060 super while we are at it to get closer to the 1k budget.

she's happy to bump up the storage later if she needs it(even tho her final export files etc mostly end up on external drive so 1tb might just be enough)

Soldato
we went for the matx.

I remembered that I have a bitfenix phantom case sitting in the attic so I'll pull that down and that reduced the overall, we replaced the gpu for the 2060 super while we are at it to get closer to the 1k budget.

she's happy to bump up the storage later if she needs it(even tho her final export files etc mostly end up on external drive so 1tb might just be enough)

awesome :) hope it proves well

Back
Top Bottom