Both wing mirrors smashed off

Soldato
Both wing mirrors have been smashed off, one is still hanging by the electrical cable and the other is missing. My neighbours car was also knocked on the passenger side but not damaged, no other cars parked next to me damaged either. Phoned 101 to report it but there's no line of enquiry so nothing to be done there which I knew anyway I just phoned to report it.

So now I need 2 black electric wing mirrors for a mk4 Golf :( if anyone knows a good place to get some please.

Caporegime
Found a pair on eBay for £48 with free next day delivery.
Not a brilliant price but softened by feee delivery I suppose, question is someone has plainly gone to some effort to smash off both mirrors, are you aware of anybody you’ve upset recently?

One smashed off mirror you can put down to mindless vandalism whereas two smashed off - given no damage to other cars - suggests to me this may not be a random incident......

Caporegime
i take it car parked on the street / road?

it will likely be a neighbour who thinks you have taken their sport.

tbh having a driveway and cctv won't void the fact someone can damage your vehicle with no come backs. i recorded 2 scrotes fighting in the street. it spilled onto my driveway and from there damage to the car. they had both come from a party around the corner. i told the police the house and showed them the footage. the guy who answered the door said he didn't know either of them and they were friends of a friend.

police ended their enquiry there. even though it's obvious he knows both of them as they had both stayed the night at the house along with another 10 people.

Soldato
OP
Not a brilliant price but softened by feee delivery I suppose, question is someone has plainly gone to some effort to smash off both mirrors, are you aware of anybody you’ve upset recently?

One smashed off mirror you can put down to mindless vandalism whereas two smashed off - given no damage to other cars - suggests to me this may not be a random incident......

Barely see my neighbours to potentially upset them.

i take it car parked on the street / road?

it will likely be a neighbour who thinks you have taken their sport.

tbh having a driveway and cctv won't void the fact someone can damage your vehicle with no come backs. i recorded 2 scrotes fighting in the street. it spilled onto my driveway and from there damage to the car. they had both come from a party around the corner. i told the police the house and showed them the footage. the guy who answered the door said he didn't know either of them and they were friends of a friend.

police ended their enquiry there. even though it's obvious he knows both of them as they had both stayed the night at the house along with another 10 people.

I park my car in a set of parking spaces off the road, about 7 cars fit there and I've parked there for 15 months.

Soldato
question is someone has plainly gone to some effort to smash off both mirrors, are you aware of anybody you’ve upset recently?

Could be this, or mistaken identity, or even just some lowlife scum being a bit bored walking past and deciding to take off some wing mirrors.

I remember about 5 years ago, i pulled up at my old local train station to pick the missus up about 10pm, car park was still fairly full at that time, but not a lot of people around. Anyway i'm sat in the car killing time, and i noticed this yob started working his way down a line of cars kicking off each wing mirror, i reckon he managed to do about a dozen before a security guard chased him away.

Soldato
Indeed. It's crossed my mind many times to buy a brand new car but it would crush me if anything like this happened to it.

Utter a-holes. I'd have to stop myself beating the living **** out of someone if I saw them doing this.

Whilst it's never nice, just be thankful a pair of mirrors is only £48. A pair of second hand mirrors for my car is £600 :eek: a pair of brand new ones is about £1600. Ridiculous prices for a piece of glass and plastic.

Last edited:
Soldato
This will be nothing more than mindless vandalism, it's doing the rounds atm, i see so many posts on community facebook pages about lines of cars being keyed etc. Over here, it's mailboxes being smashed! So annoying and selfish by the culprits!

Underboss
Utter a-holes. I'd have to stop myself beating the living **** out of someone if I saw them doing this.

Whilst it's never nice, just be thankful a pair of mirrors is only £48. A pair of second hand mirrors for my car is £600 :eek: a pair of brand new ones is about £1600. Ridiculous prices for a piece of glass and plastic.

what do you drive ? a rocket ship ? :D

Soldato
OP
Got my wing mirrors today and assembled them. Was quite simple to get into and take off the wing mirror on the driver side but trying to put the new one on..... it appears my new mirrors are missing 1 white clip each which should press into the chassis to fasten the top while the T40 screw fastens the bottom. I might have to throw in the towel and hand it to a garage to do :/

Soldato
A pair of second hand mirrors for my car is £600 :eek: a pair of brand new ones is about £1600. Ridiculous prices for a piece of glass and plastic.

That's insane,

Items like wingmirrors should really be engineered to be "Expendable" on the grounds that they are really quite likely to sustain damage from many possible causes (Vandalism being only one of them) and priced accordingly.

Soldato
OP
Happy days. I had a mate come over for a helping hand and with him holding the mirror and me concentrating on lining everything up to tighten it I noticed a clip that should have gone inside the door, so when I was doing it solo and screwed the mirror on this is why it was standing away from the door and had big gaps.

Both mirrors are on and everything works so now I just have to hope they stay there. I'll be folding my mirrors in future, hopefully that will deter it happening again.

Associate
Happy days. I had a mate come over for a helping hand and with him holding the mirror and me concentrating on lining everything up to tighten it I noticed a clip that should have gone inside the door, so when I was doing it solo and screwed the mirror on this is why it was standing away from the door and had big gaps.

Both mirrors are on and everything works so now I just have to hope they stay there. I'll be folding my mirrors in future, hopefully that will deter it happening again.

Now you've repaired it, how about a dashcam with parking security might be worth the investment and you get the added bonus of on the road security too from the ever growing armies of numpties...

Back
Top Bottom