Realtek sound not working on win10.

Soldato
Have a sabertooth 990fx here that has Realtek alc892 on it. The onboard audio hasn't been used in a long time last, last time it was used was on windows 7, years ago, but it was fine there.

I've tried the last drivers on Asus site (2016) and some later ones I found online.

Issue is, it doesn't seem to want to output sound. Drivers install ok, device manager is ok. No sound though. Windows shows the sound is playing through the correct output, but you just get nothing. Jack detection is working fine, when you plug something in, the realtek manager will pop up and say you just plugged/unplugged something. The jacks highlight in the control panel as well. The speakers also make that little pop you get when plugging something in. If you left click the audio manager in taskbar you will get a message saying something like "you are seeing this because no audio device is plugged in, to see the gui, plug one in" despite it literally just telling you, you plugged something in. You can right click and open the sound manager manually though and get the gui that way and it will show the correct plug highlighted with something plugged in.

So I assume it's the drivers/windows 10 being dumb for some reason.

I can find lots of posts of similar issues with realtek (no audio from back panel), but no really solutions, just the usual (update drivers etc). A lot of posts seem to say the front works fine, but that's not hooked up, so can't test it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tried those, still the same. Maybe it's broken :(.

I tried with the default Microsoft drivers as well, and same deal there. Jack detection works, everything is ok according to windows but no sound. I tried optical out as well, that sort of works. There is audio, but it's crackling/popping. Optical out was fed to one of those cheap usb powered optical to 3.5mm dac/boxes. It worked fine last time I used it on a different pc, dunno if the cable has been damaged since then, don't have another to test with right now. Cable is a cheap nasty one that just came with the box. Read optical cables can be finicky, so maybe it's the cable.

Seems odd it would fail as it has been disabled for years. Only other thing I can think of is Asus broke it. When it was last used it was on a different bios version. Now it's on the very last (1604) before Asus dropped support. 1604 seemed like it was rush just to shut people up about supporting piledriver, so maybe Asus broke it.

Found my old pci x-fi in a box of parts, so will just throw that in (hopefully still works).

Last edited:
Associate
Their last drivers for sound is Broken I get the same here with NVIDA Drivers, I got 4 speakers and Subwoofer and onlt 2 speakers work after messing around for 3 hours. I might go bavck to Win 7 Pro..

Back
Top Bottom