Battery struggles to charge on journeys

Soldato
OP
Won't hurt to disconnect the sub but that shouldnt drain the battery if it's wired up right.

I'm very confident that all the wiring I have done is correct, but I did use an existing cable for the power to the battery from someone that previously had one installed.

I've got it set to an ignition fuse, so power is triggered when the ignition is on. When turned off, the power light goes out.

I'll also clean the terminals with a bit of baking soda; they're looking a bit grubby.

Soldato
earlier thread we(I) had about batteries&hifi's https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31848216
my battery is still rolling on , following the 12.25V, I'd measured 18months ago, but we haven't had much freezing weather since.

the low 12.1V, like in my case, is, I assume just lost capacity - irreversible degradation !
edit: ie its only got 40% of the original capacity left

Soldato
OP
Had a look at some info online, and it looks as though the alternator is running too high - should expect 14.7V ish, but mine is averaging 14.9, with peaks of 15.1V

As I mentioned before, will clean battery terminals and get a charger to help keep it topped up :)

Soldato
OP
Up to 15.1v is perfectly acceptable especially on a more modern car with smart charge. Some will charge at 16v+

Interesting - thanks for the info. Makes sense, especially if the onboard computer recognised that the battery is low.

Unsure where to go from here

• Should I get some more comprehensive testing done?
  • Get a battery charger to keep it topped up?

Back
Top Bottom