Pavement Park Ban.

Soldato
Hi

So how many of you guys park on the pavement, how would a ban impact you?

Not an issue for me now but where I lived before it would have been a major pain in the hump. There clearly just are not enough spaces and car parks to accommodate all the cars that would have an issue if parking on the pavement was banned.

Cheers

HEADRAT

Soldato
In my street if people didn't park on the pavement then emergency services wouldn't be able to get down the street (if both sides of the road parked on the road)... I've told the same house twice to move their car either on the hill (4 yards away!!) or put it on the pavement because in it's current position an ambulance or fire engine is going to struggle to get passed... Numpties mun :rolleyes:

Associate
They could mark the pavement with a line beyond which you cannnot park - to leave enough room for a mobility scooter/pram/wheelchair. Would only be needed in busy areas where pavement parking is a problem. Some dicks near me park almost up to the wall meaning you have to walk on the road to get around them.

Soldato
My road is wide enough for cars to park fully on the road fortunately, albeit only down one side. There are many residential roads in existence where this is not possible without parking at least a little bit on the pavement though, and a blanket "ban" would cause huge problems. I can't see it being actively enforced in these situations, but I'd like to see the cretins that take up 90% of a pavement meaning a poor sod with a pushchair or wheelchair having to move onto the road get ticketed.

Man of Honour
Wish they would do something about parking in general though it isn't an ideal situation for many people at the best of times. My commute to work is increasingly becoming a nightmare with the amount the roads are obstructed by poor parking as many people need 1 or more cars in today's world.

Caporegime
Hi

So how many of you guys park on the pavement, how would a ban impact you?

Not an issue for me now but where I lived before it would have been a major pain in the hump. There clearly just are not enough spaces and car parks to accommodate all the cars that would have an issue if parking on the pavement was banned.

Cheers

HEADRAT

They need to limit the number of cars per household to 2. Any more then they should pay additional tax per car. Simple as that.

The guy across the road from me has 15 vehicles. He should have to pay a shedload of tax more than he currently does as he's single handedly using up the parking for the whole street.

Soldato
It's already "banned" in Scotland but it is not being enforced what so ever.

I've personally no sympathy. It has been allowed to happen over previous decades as people buy more and more cars and it is at a point now where they cannot just blanket ban it and enforce such a thing. It's too far gone and people are far too entitled.

Our society is way too car focused and everything revolves around accommodating people and their massive chunks of metal. If you park your car up on a pavement at all then I've honestly no sympathy. I don't care if you choose to live somewhere that you think you need to park up on the pavement.... once upon a time that wasn't the case, but now that everyone else and you have a massive chunk of metal you feel it your given right to be able to park there at your door in streets that can't accommodate you and your families 2/3/4 cars. YOU choose to live somewhere like this, nobody forces you to live somewhere that you can't park a car(s) and nobody forces you to "need" to have 2/3/4 cars.
Clogging up roads all over the place with the things and now clogging up pavements which are for pedestrians, not cars, and still moaning you need more space and accommodation for the things.

I hope they do just blanket this and start whopping £100 fines left, right and centre on people selfish enough to block pavements. I'm personally sick fed up of my girlfriend having to walk on roads around cars with my little boy in the buggy because people have decided they can now just use paths to ditch their motor.

Soldato
Thing is many roads/pavements were built with pavement parking in mind. It would cause havok.

Some of the road design on new estates is also rubbish and doesn't seem to account for parking.

Soldato
Our society is way too car focused........

Clogging up roads all over the place with the things

These complaints might have some validity if public transport outside London was at all efficient and fit for purpose.

I do agree that more people should assess the parking situation properly while choosing somewhere to live though.

Man of Honour
They need to limit the number of cars per household to 2. Any more then they should pay additional tax per car. Simple as that.

The guy across the road from me has 15 vehicles. He should have to pay a shedload of tax more than he currently does as he's single handedly using up the parking for the whole street.

Problem is increasingly people need a vehicle and increasingly more people are living in one place due to house/rent prices, cost of living and stagnated wages, etc. though yeah those people who have like 15 cars each and take up all the parking in the road need dealing with - where I moved from last year one guy would frequently have 3-5 work vehicles parked up overnight (as well as owning 3 cars and a pickup) when residential parking was already strained.

Soldato
Problem is increasingly people need a vehicle and increasingly more people are living in one place due to house/rent prices, cost of living and stagnated wages, etc. though yeah those people who have like 15 cars each and take up all the parking in the road need dealing with - where I moved from last year one guy would frequently have 3-5 work vehicles parked up overnight when residential parking was already strained.

Yep, people like that suck.

But in my area (mostly built in the 70s), parking isn't really an issue. The roads are quite wide, every house has a good sized driveway, loads of "visitor" parking and there are 2 large (free) carparks along the main road next to the park. Looking at most new builds you don't get that :/

Soldato
Then the solution is to reduce the number of people, which would then reduce the number of cars to the point wher everyone could park without a problem. If only we could engineer some kind of virus and release it around the world...

I've told the same house twice to move their car either on the hill (4 yards away!!) or put it on the pavement because in it's current position an ambulance or fire engine is going to struggle to get passed
Tell them once more..... and then burn their house down to prove it!

Associate
Needs the same approach as is common in London boroughs. Parking on the pavement = not allowed, unless signage indicates otherwise or there are marked bays partially on the pavement.

Associate

We have a similar "guy" down our road, he has about 5 vehicles (that i know of) that he likes to tinker with, i have no issues with that at all, but when he starts encroaching on where my missus would usually park it does become annoying. He recently had one clamped and then towed away by the council as it had no tax and was being parked on the road.

Soldato
We had someone opposite who left a non-running and SORNed car in a visitor bay. Which is still classed as public highway (probably to the surprise of the owner).

Took over a year, but the council eventually made him remove it :/

Soldato
Some of the road design on new estates is also rubbish and doesn't seem to account for parking.

Developers are specifically limited by planning rules as regards the number of parking places they can provide.

There was an estate built a couple of years ago in Alton where the LA, on inspection, decided that there was too much opportunity for on-road parking and insisted that the developers block same of the spaces off by building "Build outs" with flower beds on them!

Madness really

Soldato
Developers are specifically limited by planning rules as regards the number of parking places they can provide.

There was an estate built a couple of years ago in Alton where the LA, on inspection, decided that there was too much opportunity for on-road parking and insisted that the developers block same of the spaces off by building "Build outs" with flower beds on them!

Madness really

But then people cram cars in anyway and block roads :/

Back
Top Bottom