Budget but decent chair for long sessions

Associate
As you can probably imagine, I've had to make a shift to constant remote working for the foreseeable future, which I'm very happy with, but the downside is that my desk and chair are not good at all for this.

The chair I'm currently on is a cheapy Argos mesh thing we bought "because cheap" when we needed chairs, and when the only time we used them was for gaming in the evenings. It's not comfy and has no support but I rolled with it because we barely used them and when I used to work remote, it was at most 2/3 times a month.

I really need to invest in a chair if I'm going to be working in it for long periods now, but we also still don't have a budget for anything expensive (investing in your health, I know, but with potentially only me working....)

I've heard good things about Secret Labs / Noblechairs / DXRacer / Nitro Concepts (the budget line on OCUK store seems viable? £149.99 is really a lot, but if it's worth it...) but they're way out of budget. I've been looking as some cheaper options like perhaps the GTForce chairs (apparently "just" cheaper DX Racers?) but even they're a little steep at £129.99, especially considering the questionable reputation I've seen?. I'm interested in that racecar design though - we have Hermann Miller Aeron's at the office but I hate it, it's too clunky and frankly not that comfy.

Waffle over, but thanks in advance for any help!

Associate
OP
Permabanned
Well, you did ask for "Budget" chairs.
Anyway, I purchased one in my second link, £78. If it lasts a year, then one can't complain for £78. It has Lumbar Support, so it should be good for the back.

Soldato
Tried IKEA Flintan and Millberget last week and they were alright. Flintan was better on the lower back, but Millberget had tilt.

All the shops are closed now though, so it's delivery only (add about a tenner to the price).

Soldato
I think everyone is currently doing the same I'm trying to decide on going with either the hero limited for that gamer feel or the autonomous ergo 2

Both the same price but different designs and ideas.

Associate
I'm thinking about one of these,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123813389473

Or one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Executiv...hash=item1cca3e1fe2:m:m2uaPxpprIEX2Qs_KZ0kc4A

They're 5% off at the moment, can't decide which.

I have the first one. It's alright, I got mine today, but was more a case of just having a chair rather than specifically looking for a gaming chair. Quality isn't too bad, I'm working from home tomorrow, so i'll tell you how it feels after a full day in it.

Will just say the lumbar support pad is pointless, it's far too big so you can't sit in the chair no matter where you put it

Permabanned
I have the first one. It's alright, I got mine today, but was more a case of just having a chair rather than specifically looking for a gaming chair. Quality isn't too bad, I'm working from home tomorrow, so i'll tell you how it feels after a full day in it.

Will just say the lumbar support pad is pointless, it's far too big so you can't sit in the chair no matter where you put it

I ended up getting the second one, like you said for yours - mine is ok. You definitely get what you pay for, and although it's a great chair - it's massive, there are parts where you can see corners cut. For example, the bolt holes where you screw the parts together, especially the arms, were poorly finished and needed some real patience to stop the bolts from threading. Fitting the back to the main seat involved a metal bar which screwed to the back, then slot into the back of the seat - this needed the metal arms (those that allow the chair to lower, and back adjust) to be screwed to the bottom of the seat at a precise position or the back just wouldn't fit on - it would catch those metal arms.
The lumbar support is good because the chair is soooo huge that it doesn't stop you from sitting on the chair, but it slides down the belts way too easy - I had to double-twist the lumbar belt to stop it slipping.
The footprint of the chair is also huge, so huge that the rubber mat, I also bought to stop the chair from damaging my carpet, is way too small and only allows the from feet to sit on it.

Overall, I do like the chair for the money. It's very comfortable, easy to adjust, the back adjusts so you can relax back in it, or have it right upto your back. Underneath the chair's seat is a pull-out seat to rest your legs on, it doesn't look strong enough to hold my legs, so I will test this over time. I will post a couple of pics tomorrow when it's daylight.

Associate
OP
So I've actually been able to get a new chair through work, so I've opted for a Noblechairs Epic. Not quite a "budget" chair, but I'm hoping for good things from it. If anyone has any feedback on them I'd love to hear it - I've read a lot of great reviews online, but it's almost worrying how little there is people are saying against them...

Associate
I quite like the Herman Miller aeron. Can get them for a steal on ebay. I bought a posture fit one with a broken mesh back and seat for £100 then bought a replacement used seat and back for like £45. Good as new for far less than the 1k rrp.

Back
Top Bottom